Please add the ability to move transactions in my register up or down as I wish

I want to (1) Organize my register to align it with my bank account's version, to simplify reconciliation and (2) generally sort items within the same date as I wish.

Perhaps I could highlight a transaction, hold the control key, and hit the up or down arrow to move it up or down in the register
3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @robertkellogg2001,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your Idea request.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
  • So, where do I go to vote on this? Or, do I create the vote?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    So, where do I go to vote on this? Or, do I create the vote?
    Scroll up to the top of the page, and below the description of your original post on this thread, you will see the image and arrow I referenced in my previous response.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic problem with this idea is that the order that the banks' display the items has nothing to do with when you created them.
    You might write check 1001 today, and 1002 in 3 days ... but if you sent 1001 out of town and 1002 was to a local merchant, then 1002 could reasonably clear the bank days before 1001.
    So, you'd record 1001  first and 1002 next ;... but that's not the order that the bank sees them.
    Exact same issue with credit card charges.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Thank you for your time and help. I'm not aware of any problem. I simply want to move items in my register up, or down for my convenience. I offered as a way to illustrate how this would be useful to me, that I would move them so my Quicken list order matches my bank's listed order - to help when I reconcile my account.

I enter (pay) my bills in some random order, and they clear my bank in some random order. I accept this as a fact. Why shouldn't I be able to align them as I wish in Quicken to simplify the job of reconciling my account?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW I will point out that given the text of the request there is a "hidden part" to this.

Quicken Windows doesn't do reconciling in the register, so in fact how the order of the transactions in the register doesn't affect the order they will be in the reconcile window.

So the request would require two parts:
    1. Allow the user to order the transactions in the register.
    2. Preserve the order of the transactions in the register when reconciling.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I'm not sure what you mean, when I reconcile my items I highlight all of them (as I go through them), right click any of the highlighted ones, select "reconcile status" - select "reconciled" and they are all then reconciled.

I'm not sure how quicken preserves the order after a download (for all items with the same date, anyway) but it clearly does preserve the order. So yes, I would like Quicken to preserve the order I created when I moved them.

Does this response to your comment make sense?

Thanks
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The customary method of reconciling an account is to go to that account and click CTLR-R (or TOOLS, Reconcile an Account).  Your manual method in the account itself is MUCH more cumbersome.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Let's just keep it simple and focus on moving items UP and DOWN in the register. Leave the judgmental stuff to the politicians
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Let's just keep it simple and focus on moving items UP and DOWN in the register. Leave the judgmental stuff to the politicians
    @NotACPA was just explaining why I thought there were two parts to this.  I did assume you would be using Quicken's reconcile system.  If not then yes for you there wouldn't be part two.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you choose to click one of the headers to sort by Payee, Date, Clr Status, or similar -- How is Quicken suppose to consider your 'preferred' sort?  I understand it appears simple to you, but such features are usually far more complex to implement and maintain. 

FWIW, I prefer my checking account (lacking download support) sorted by Clr Status.  I can then manually change the status to 'c' and then 'R' based on what I see on the banks website or my statement.  As I make the status change, the transactions relocate to the proper grouping.  Perhaps that is something you might find helpful.   
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    q_lurker said:
    And if you choose to click one of the headers to sort by Payee, Date, Clr Status, or similar -- How is Quicken suppose to consider your 'preferred' sort?  I understand it appears simple to you, but such features are usually far more complex to implement and maintain.
    There would have to be another sort order added to the existing list. Call it "User" or "Manual" or whatever best denotes the user's choice to rearrange transactions. Then the user could temporarily sort by Payee or whatever and revert to his chosen manual sort. This would likely involve changing the database schema to add "ordinal sort number" to each transaction record. I rarely support suggestions which change the schema, and this is no exception.
    q_lurker said:
    FWIW, I prefer my checking account (lacking download support) sorted by Clr Status.  I can then manually change the status to 'c' and then 'R' based on what I see on the banks website or my statement.  As I make the status change, the transactions relocate to the proper grouping.
    Just goes to show that everyone uses Quicken differently. I usually sort by "Date/Order Entered". I only change the sort temporarily for some particular task. And I don't believe I've ever manually changed a transaction's Clr status except in case of error. It downloads as "c" and after a proper Quicken reconciliation, it becomes "R" without me touching it.
    EDIT: Oops, I just realized you said "lacking download support". So ignore my last sentences (and switch banks).
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.