Unable to connect to Morgan Stanley

Comments

• slotis
    slotis Member
    Here is the error I receive when trying to add accounts from Morgan Stanley Wealth Management. And it only happens with the MS accounts, not Fidelity, for example. I've attached the image.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @slotis

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues connecting to Morgan Stanley, I'm wondering here if you've tried the steps on the website to connect to Quicken.  After that it seems like you should be able to get the account number populating inside of Quicken so you're able to connect.

If you have done this step and are still having difficulties please let us know so we're able to take a further look.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• slotis
    slotis Member
    Francisco. I've connected to Morgan Stanley Wealth many times and it's always worked. It stopped working about a month ago. I can no longer add an account that is related to Morgan Stanley Wealth without receiving the error I attached earlier.
  • mnml0
    mnml0 Member ✭✭
    @slotis: You didn't actually post a screen grab of the error, just the login dialog.

However, I can attest to the MSWM problem as I've been trying to add new MS accounts for the past month. Whether it's from Add Account or editing Account Details->Online Services for a manually-created account, Quicken crashes when attempting to retrieve from MS. My 11 other existing MS accounts work fine.

After starting this with Q v34.16, I've done a clean install of Quicken, and applied the v34.24 mondo patch a couple of times under Windows 10 20H2 v19043.1083, logged out/in, rebooted, tried a test file with only one account, sworn sundry oaths, and still Q crashes. Something is broken.
    QW27.1.38.30
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 19044.1566
  • slotis
    slotis Member
    I'll try to post the error again.
  • mnml0
    mnml0 Member ✭✭
    I've seen that, too. In fact, it appears in the beginning of the Add Account process when prompting for MS login credentials. That was once a thing with MS accounts, but it hasn't been applicable for several (5? 6?) years. To the best of my knowledge, there is no longer account download enabling on the MS site. And, I have added additional accounts since that changed, but no longer can.
    QW27.1.38.30
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    slotis said:
    I'll try to post the error again.

Again, that's not an error message.  It's instructions from MS (relayed via Quicken) as to how you need to proceed.
    Have you done as instructed?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • mnml0
    mnml0 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Again, that's not an error message.  It's instructions from MS (relayed via Quicken) as to how you need to proceed.Have you done as instructed?

Assuming @slotis & I are indeed confronting the same situation, there's never an opportunity to enter an account number. Quicken crashes during "looking for accounts" at Morgan Stanley.
    QW27.1.38.30
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    AGAIN, have you followed the instructions in the message that you received?
    And, what Q product are you running, what BUILD of that product and what's your "Membership Valid Thru" date?  This info can be found at HELP, About Quicken.
    Lastly, are you both using "Morgan Stanley Wealth Management" as the FI name in Q.  Do TOOLS, Account List and look in the Financial Institution column to verify this.
    Because that FI most definitely supports download into Q:
    Morgan Stanley Wealth Management    http://www.morganstanley.com/    1-800-688-6896    https://login.matrix.ms.com/public/login/webapp/html/main/public_Loginhtml#/login    ACTIVE    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    NotACPA said:
    It is not possible to follow those instructions. There is no place on the MSWM site that is called "Download Activity". Those instructions are obsolete.
    I have 2 accounts at MSWM. I have no problem adding them to new test files.
    I suggest the next course of action is to contact MSWM online support and explain your issue. Click on the envelope at the top right of any MSWM page and you can send a message specifically to whoever there supports Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    It is not possible to follow those instructions. There is no place on the MSWM site that is called "Download Activity". Those instructions are obsolete.

But, then, the OP STILL needs to contact MS ... since they're the one's who are sending those obsolete instructions.
  • Just got off a telecon with Morgan Stanley and Quicken Tech Support. Quicken reports this is a known issue with no estimate for resolution :s