File won't open, immediately goes to crash report

Started about 7 pm (est) last night, worked fine all day. Went to run one step update for closing market. Got Quicken ID login screen, with error message advising to try later. Unsuccessful for 5 hours, and again now next morning. Tried reinstalling from scratch, same issue.

Quicken starts to open, I can see my file open, and its on my investing page. Page is greyed out. Another page opens, which must be the QUicken ID entry page but it is mostly blank, white, no fields for entry, but bottom tiny print reads create new quicken ID or use existing, both blue hyperlinks, which are not active.

After a few seconds screen disappears, QW closes, and I'm presented with a crash log error report box asking for details and email. Nothing on screen is active, I see file and exit in upper left, but can't access, cant see what version I'm running, nothing.

Best Answer

• Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I finally got mine working with help of support desk. I sent thru same trials, Qclean, all that nothing worked. Finally when screen sharing tech noticed I was running QW on D drive. He suggested we make a copy of my file, and copy it to c:\ documents folder, then tried opening. Everything worked fine after that. His only answer was sometimes QW likes files on the C drive.
    My laptop has a small SSD C drive, and a 2TB D hard drive. Everything else, programs, bakups, sources are all on D still. I just open the C drive files and it works like a charm.

GO figure, doesn't make sense to me, but its working.

Answers

• DallasTXRR
    DallasTXRR Member
    Maybe this is related?
    Vanguard renamed one of their funds. After doing a portfolio update, Quicken crashes when I go to any "Investment" menu option.
    Help!
    This is Windows version.. 8/6/2021.
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    Thanks, not applicable in my case, no Vanguard accounts. Spent a disappointing hour with tech support, nothing worked, now waiting on optional Windows 10 updates to install.
  • RSAmelia
    RSAmelia Member
    I'm having a problem similar to Flipr. After speaking at length with 4 different Quicken support staff over the past few days and spending 3 full days myself verifying my subscription is still active, restoring Quicken and data from backup files, re-installing Quicken, running latest mondo patch, ran QCleanUI, downloaded and installed latest version of Windows 10, signed in as new Quicken user, created a new data file, and even ran Windows DISM RestoreHealth.

Nothing has worked. I remain 'locked out' of Quicken. However, when I installed Quicken on my wife's laptop, it ran perfectly with the same data files. If anyone solves this problem, please let us all know. Having reviewed the forum posts for the past year plus, it seems there have been many similar manifestations of this problem. I have been using Quicken for 30 years.
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I finally got mine working with help of support desk. I sent thru same trials, Qclean, all that nothing worked. Finally when screen sharing tech noticed I was running QW on D drive. He suggested we make a copy of my file, and copy it to c:\ documents folder, then tried opening. Everything worked fine after that. His only answer was sometimes QW likes files on the C drive.
    My laptop has a small SSD C drive, and a 2TB D hard drive. Everything else, programs, bakups, sources are all on D still. I just open the C drive files and it works like a charm.

GO figure, doesn't make sense to me, but its working.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I have heard for years that Quicken has to be installed on C: to work properly, but I have never heard that it mattered what drive the data file is on.  That's new to me.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RSAmelia
    RSAmelia Member
    Flipr, Thanks for your response. Support has had me delete all but 1 copy of QW and all but one directory with any Quicken program files. My Q has always been installed on primary drive C: and data file is now only in \Documents\Intuit. Q launches and displays my primary data layout for several seconds, then overlays with white screen, then after several seconds displays Sign In window for several seconds but closes and freezes before I can type even 3 letters. I tried Q function 'validating' the data file. No luck.
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    Sorry, RSAmelia your issue sounds almost identical to mine, except where my QW was installed. I have used Q for about 30 years, and this version has been running fine for 2 years on laptop. Renewed subscription 2 weeks ago, no issues until couple days ago.
  • RSAmelia
    RSAmelia Member
    Almost identical situation except for data file location. I also have been using Q for 30 years and this version has been running fine for over a year until Q's system went down on Tuesday. I thought my subscription might have been de-activated but when I checked, it is good thru December. I selected automatic renewal option just to be sure. That didn't solve the problem so I quit until the next day.

Wednesday I had problems launching Quicken. Initial Q error message was incorrect network path. I didn't capture the message and don't remember the exact wording. When I tried to re-launch I began getting the white screen and momentary sign in window. Six long days of trying everything possible to resolve and 4 support desk conversations later, no solution.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your current path to the Q data file? C:\Documents\Quicken or Intuit? Do you happen to run Quickbooks? How is your laptop connected to the internet? wifi or hard wired? Thanks.