Data File Password not working - Canada R33.xx

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Data File password is not working.

Comments

• Goatee6
    Goatee6 Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, you may want to review the R34.24 release notes: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895340/windows-r34-xx-release-us

I am in Canada and using the Canadian subscription version (R33) This just happened to me, costing me a month's worth of work. But there is no patch for the Canadian version - so how do I ensure this doesn't happen again?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Goatee6,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try downloading and installing the Canadian Mondo Patch through this support article.

I hope this helps! 
    -Quicken Anja
  • Goatee6
    Goatee6 Member ✭✭
    The latest Canadian release is the one that I have on my computer, and the one in which the error occurred.

This release is the one that locked my account - when will there will be an update for Canada that fixes this problem? I am facing hours of work to re-load all the transactions since the last uncorrupted back-up (early June).

I do not want to take that on if the underlying problem has not been fixed.

When can we expect a fix for Canada?

Wayne

> @"Quicken Anja" said:
    > Hello @Goatee6,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > If you haven't already, I suggest you try downloading and installing the Canadian Mondo Patch through this support article.
    >
    > I hope this helps! 
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for the additional information.

Please allow me to clarify the reasoning behind installing the Mondo Patch; although the Mondo Patch is the same version release as the current version you have currently installed, when manually downloading and installing the Mondo Patch through the support article I provided in my previous response, it helps give us a better idea of whether or not everything was installed properly during the first initial in-product install. 

If the issue resolves itself by installing through the Mondo Patch, it would indicate and confirm that something went wrong during the initial in-product install. If it does not resolve it, then that confirms that further investigation and troubleshooting are needed.

If you wish to take precautions prior to installing the Mondo Patch, I recommend saving a backup of your data file first (just in case).

I hope this clarifies things for you! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As to not having current, frequent backups ... please review the following.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• Goatee6
    Goatee6 Member ✭✭
    I have automatic backup enabled, don't worry - the problem is, this bug corrupts (by putting a password on a file that you never entered and can't retrieve) both the active file and the backups, so you have to go back through several back-ups to see which one was the last one pre-corruption.

I will try the Mondo patch for Canada, but as I'm not sure when the passwording occurs, I don't know how we check if this bug was worked out or not.

Given that there was a specific new release to deal with this bug in the US, why was there not a new release in Canada, since it sounds like its the same bug from all the articles I read on this community?

Wayne
  • johnat
    johnat Member
    I have this problem. I'm Locked out of my data file by a password that I never set. Spent 1 hour with quicken support. Gave them a copy of the file and they were unable to unlock it admitting that they were unable to override the password as it was never set. Seems to be a problem with a Quicken update sometime in the past month or so. I only go in once a month to update my stuff so hard to pinpoint when. Mondo update does nothing.

I since override my backups I had to dig around to find one that was unlocked, unfortunately its from April and a bunch of data is no longer available for months in between. To further exacerbate the problem, my download folder has been deleted so I can't even get the OFX files from the past few months.

I wish Quicken was more transparent about the issue, not getting a lot of support or advice.

Lessons learned:
    Save every Quicken Backup as a separate file
    Save OFX downloads in a separate folder
This discussion has been closed.