Dashboard in Investments. (Mac)

jimbean2
jimbean2 Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investments (Mac)
There are 4 sets of data that are on this screen. You should be able to either manually resize the top two sections so you can see long lists or they should automatically resize to fit long lists. Currently, even though there's lots of unused white space, you have to scroll to see all your entries.
Tagged:
4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't disagree, and a variety of suggestions have been offered on this forum and even during beta testing. The Mac product manager has said that this is just a "1.0 release" of the Dashboard, and they have lots more they intend to do in future releases.

It's part of their development philosophy to release some new features as soon as they are functional and stable, with plans to add more features and functionality over future iterations. If they waited to release things until they were "done" and fully-featured, some new features would stay locked away in development for many months. (You can see another example of this in the way they released dark mode in version 6.3 -- stating that they know it's not perfect and not complete, but is far enough along that they can offer it to customers who will find it useful in its current form.)

At least the top two sections (they call them "cards") scroll. The Allocation by Security lists only the top 8 securities and then lumps everything else into Other. While I know people like the colorful pie charts, it's not useful enough to me to see only my top 8 securities. If I could click on other and see a drill-down list of what comprises Other, that would be helpful. 

In terms of space, I think it would be great if they allowed users to close or minimize any of the four cards, re-arrange them, and enlarge them. For me, the Top Movers card is of limited use -- because most of my holdings are in mutual funds, so there is no data most of the day, and it disappears as soon as the clock hits midnight, and is blank all weekend -- so I'd like to be able to hide/close it most of the time.  I find it really annoying that the Holdings card lists securities only by symbol -- try differentiating mentally between VEXAX, VEXPX, VEXRX, etc.! -- so I'd like to be able to widen that card and have it include the security name. I'd like to enlarge the Allocation by Security and Asset Allocation cards so the legends could include the percentage and/or amount which we now need to click to see. I hope to see these and other improvements to the Portfolio in future releases!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jimbean2
    jimbean2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your comment. I agree with and understand the developers' philosophy regarding these early releases. I was merely pointing out a feature that currently wasn't in these release. I like your suggestions for future enhancements as well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This problem with sizing of such "cards" seems to be a "general infliction".

Over in Quicken Windows world there are several such "new" (even though in this case new is many years old now) "views" that use this "card" kind of formatting with very little control available to the user.  It is all suppose to automatically format, but for various reason it doesn't always use all the space available or the sizing isn't optimal for a given use case.

This true of the Home tab, the budget, the Spending view, the investment Dashboard, ...

It is a real pain, but in all the years that people have asked for more control over this, they have never done it.  Hopefully on the Mac side it will come to pass.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Chris_QPW  The Quicken Mac product manager has been clear that this was a first iteration for the Dashboard, and they intend to add lots more functionality over time.

The Quicken Mac development philosophy is pretty well rooted in shipping a "minimal viable product" and iterating on it, or building a Chevy version and souping it up over time rather than spending additional months or years in the development lab to try to build the Cadillac version. He's been pretty positive about many of the suggestions offered, so I think we'll see some of this come to pass in upcoming releases. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993