Why won't Quicken update itself?

Each time that the update routine starts, it gets part way through and then stops with the error message "The process cannot access the file "C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w4367\base\RPM\Migration\MigrationTool.exe" because it is being used by another process"

What is this telling me and how do I correct it? The TaskManager shows no such thing.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Are you running Norton antivirus?  There is a known issue that produces this message.  The release notes for R34.24 make reference to it.:

Release R34.24 (US Versions, July 2021)

Before you install this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud. You should also make a backup of your data file.​

• Fixed: Resolved an issue in which some customers were prompted to enter a data file password for a data file that did not have a password. 

Note: Customers who have Norton Antivirus need to update to the most recent Norton Antivirus patch to ensure Norton Antivirus will work properly with Quicken.

If you are running Norton, update it and then try updating Quicken, again.  If you still have problems, you might want to turn off Norton for the Quicken update process (turn Norton back on after Quicken is updated).  Others have said that turning off their antivirus allowed them to update Quicken.

(QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    Nope. I don't use Norton A/V or any Norton product for that matter. I could turn off the anti-virus that I do use (Trend Micro) but that would mean turning it off every time I open Quicken. The problem is that the Quicken attempt to update itself is sort of random. I'll try later today to use the suggested fix and then report back.
  • Boatnmaniac
    My understanding of the A/V issue is that the A/V interferes with the program update process, not with running Quicken.  If this is the issue you are experiencing, once Quicken has been updated the you should not need to turn off A/V anymore.
    Anyway, I look forward to seeing your update on this.
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    Yes. The update fails. When I start Q every once in a while, it first starts to update. About half-way through the process (judging by the green bar), it fails with that message. I will run the "One Step update", turn off my a/v program, and then try to update Q.

I note that a new version of Q is available for d/l. This may solve the issue. It will be Plan B.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    Ah, it sounds like we have misunderstood each other.  I was talking about updating the Quicken program (i.e., the version)....turn off the A/V, download and install the program update (turn on the A/V, again, after the program update is completed) and then try updating your accounts. 
    The version (R34.20) notes mentioned in my original post above simply advise that there is a Norton A/V issue and how to get around it.  The previous version (R34.19) actually addresses a broader A/V certificate issue and I think this was the version that fixes the issue you are seeing.
    If you want to review the release notes of the various versions you can see them at https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.  You can also download and install the Mondo Patch for the latest version here instead of doing the update from within Quicken.
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    I have Version 33.24 (Build 27,1.33.24) currently installed if that helps your understanding of my problem. I should have mentioned this with my first question.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest that you install the latest Mondo patch from here:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    I looked at the "Mondo" patch (How cute and worthless is that name?) and the supposed instructions on how to install it. However, when I click where it's supposed to provide the instructions, nothing happens. Now I have the patch file and it is an executable. Do I simply run it?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    Yes, just run it. 
    Thanks for highlighting that the instructions link does not work.  I tried clicking on it, too, and nothing happened.  Then I hovered the cursor over that link and observed no URL so it is not a link.  I'll bring this to the Moderators' attention so someone on the Quicken team can look into it and take appropriate action with it.
    EDIT: Upon further review I do not think the words shaded in yellow are intended to be a link to the "steps" for installation.  I think it is intended to simply highlight that the steps shown in the red outlined box apply to both the US and Canadian Mondo Patches.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I looked at the "Mondo" patch (How cute and worthless is that name?)...
    BTW, the slang definition of "Mondo" is "very large or great."  I imagine that the reason why they selected the word "Mondo" (goes back to the old Intuit days) is because the Mondo Patch includes all the patch updates to the current date so that "very large or great" definition fits quite well.  Usually it is best to download and install the Mondo Patch when your Quicken is several versions out of date.  The only thing "larger or greater" than the Mondo Patch is uninstalling and totally reinstalling the latest download of the entire Quicken program.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, just run it. 
    Thanks for highlighting that the instructions link does not work.  I tried clicking on it, too, and nothing happened.  Then I hovered the cursor over that link and observed no URL so it is not a link.  I'll bring this to the Moderators' attention so someone on the Quicken team can look into it and take appropriate action with it.
    EDIT: Upon further review I do not think the words shaded in yellow are intended to be a link to the "steps" for installation.  I think it is intended to simply highlight that the steps shown in the red outlined box apply to both the US and Canadian Mondo Patches.
    I was wondering what "link" you guys were referring to.  As you said that isn't a link, it is part of the #1 instruction.  It probably could have just been left off, but the author thought that it needed clarifying.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/