Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tonight I am getting "Sync Error" Warning. Anyone?.

Comments

• BeardedMen
    BeardedMen Member
    Every time I sync lately I am getting a "General Error" that says "Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers". I've trued UPDATE NOW but the error simply repeats.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @BeardedMen

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing [issues with your program. It sounds like the program might not be responding properly to the server. If that's the case we may need to sign out and back in so that we're able to refresh the connection. You can do so by going across the top left to Quicken > Sign out. Once signed out sign back into your Quicken account.

Ideally once we're done signing back in we should be able to update without the error messages. Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• CJF
    CJF Member
    I completed every suggestion in the earlier post (Tonight I am getting sync error.....) and the suggestion above. I have updated my quicken desktop, signed out of the mobile app and web account and I still get this general error. What next?
  • Kevin57
    Kevin57 Member
    I have the same problem and it started on the same day!!
  • jarucco
    jarucco Member ✭✭
    I am receiving the same "Sync Error" - General Error saying there is an issue communicating with Quicken Servers. I tried signing out/in and resynicing, etc. and still not able to get accounts to update. This was not a problem prior to this update. What's going on?!
  • PAT
    PAT Member ✭✭✭
    This problem started for me 3 days ago, there was not app update, it just started giving me this error.  Tonight I have installed the latest update as well as done the steps above.....still cannot sync.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Hello @PAT

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. At the moment it seems that the Quicken Cloud sync ability is disabled. I would recommend enabling it and attempting to sync again. 

To do this select Quicken >Preferences >Mobile, Web & Alerts. From the popup menu slide the toggle towards the On position. A visual example is below. 

When you have a moment attempt these steps and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • qdean
    qdean Member
    I have tried all of the above things and I am still getting this error.....been a few weeks now and still getting sync error.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the nuclear option:

Make a backup of your data file first.

Take a screenshot of your sidebar with the current balances showing.  Print that screenshot.  Next to each account, write down the Starting Balance for each account.

If you sync to mobile, make sure you uncheck all accounts that are uncheckable.  Some accounts (Quicken Connect accounts) aren't uncheckable.  Reset your cloud account.  Then Turn Off Sync to mobile.

Disconnect all your accounts from downloads.

Export your data file using the Export > Quicken Transfer File (.QXF) option.

Start a new Quicken data file. When it prompts you to import a file or start a new file, start a brand new file.

Do NOT select to use Sync to Mobile.

After Quicken starts, FILE > IMPORT > Quicken Windows File (.QXF).

This may take some time.  

Now, the reason this is the "nuclear" option is you'll need to re-connect all your accounts for downloads, you'll need to recreate all your reports and budgets and you'll need to recreate all your scheduled transactions and billers and probably your bill pay transactions.  

It's not a pretty solution.  It's very time consuming and tedious.  This works almost 100%.

If it doesn't work, just restore your backup file you created.  
  • brown.113
    brown.113 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Thinking it would be fastest, I tried all of the suggestions but the nuclear option. None worked. Since I periodically update Quicken on a backup computer, I copied the backup computer's data file to an external drive, and then to the computer on which the updates were not functioning. I was easily able to open the file, fully operational, without having to reconnect anything. Seems to have worked like a charm.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @brown.113, 

Thank you for your response. We apologize you experienced difficulties. However, we are glad that you were able to resolve your issue with the "nuclear" option. If you come across any issues or have questions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • macscad
    macscad Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I'm sorry, but the "nuclear option" should NOT have to be an option.. Quicken should be able to identify this problem and FIX IT!! [Removed-Disruptive/Speculation]
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Note that the user above found a successful resolution by reverting to a backup file, not "the nuclear option" of exporting data and importing it into a new file. We term this "the nuclear option" precisely because it should need to be used only in very rare instances; there are generally other resolutions one can employ. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • David Hunter
    David Hunter Member ✭✭
    I have gotten the same message every time I synch for several months. However, in spite of the message all of my data seems to update. Clearly, this isn't everyone's experience but the message may be a program flaw.
  • Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    I've been getting the same error for about a month now. I've tried most of the suggestions put up on this forum (ex-nuclear option) but none worked. From what I can tell everything is getting updated, but just an annoying error. So for me this definitely does not raise to the "nuclear option" level. However, Quicken should resolve this as it appears so many people are suffering the same issue.
  • Getting the same error messages. Also receiving the "aggregator_in_error (fi_timeout:fdp-102) message for accounts which linked well before. Disconnected accounts and when reconnecting Quicken says "the bank website may be down" which is not the case. Why is it blaming the bank? Getting frustrated with all this.
  • Fed Up
    Fed Up Member
    I use Quicken for Mac paid subscription and have been having this same issue since Early October. I have contacted Quicken repeatedly and tried all their suggestions, even the Nuclear but I still get the dreaded General Error when I try to sync my accounts. It has rendered the program useless for me. Does anybody have a way to migrate database to another program? I have 20 years worth of data and it simply is too much to recapture.
This discussion has been closed.