Can't add an account to my Quicken file after my subscription has expired

GrandmaJo
GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
My Quicken account expired but I do not download transactions so am using it without the ability to download. I tried to add an account and it kept wanting to go online. It would not allow me to add the account. (I use Quicken with my internet offline to avoid error messages.) Should I be able to add a new account?

Thank you.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What version?  The Starter Edition goes into a read only mode.  But Deluxe and higher are still useable .  You should be able to add an account manually.

For newer versions.....

When you start the Add Account process and want to create a manual account which is NOT connected to a bank for transaction downloading, the first thing you want to do is to click the Offline Account button (tab).  See screen shots on this one

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7893862/how-to-add-offline-account-without-internet-connection 

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I am using the Deluxe version but am currently not subscribed, I do not even get a box to try to add an account. It just immediately gives me the "you have exceeded the maximum data sets" error message.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I was just told my a Quicken support team member that I cannot add a new account to a Quicken file while my subscription has expired.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GrandmaJo said:
    I was just told my a Quicken support team member that I cannot add a new account to a Quicken file while my subscription has expired.
    That isn't true, but the a Catch-22 problem you are experiencing that is a bit different.

A Quicken Id is connected to a Quicken Cloud data set (online data on the server).
    It seems that for some operations like doing a restore a new data set is created.
    The original data set isn't removed.  As such there is a build up of cloud data sets on the server, and there is a limited amount of them allowed.

And here is where the Catch-22 comes in, only Quicken support can delete a cloud data set.   And guess what they won't do that for you if your subscription has lapsed.

I have been told that if you punch through those warnings about the data set enough time you will eventually be able to do what you were trying to do, but of course this is a major hassle.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    GrandmaJo said:

The problem with the number of datasets exceeded is a problem that only Quicken support can fix.  It is caused by doing too many restores.  They may not be willing to help you when you are expired.
    Support fed you a line of BS about not being able to add an account with Deluxe (or higher) after the subscription expires.

[added]
    [original comment deleted - splasher]
    See Quicken Sarah's comments further down what was causing the issue and how it was resolved.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried this with an expired license I have and for whatever reason it is also in this state (I do no restores on this license) where it says that it has exceeded the number of data sets.

And so I tried creating a new account and bypassing the message, and whereas that works for when it comes up for creating a data file and such like that, it doesn't work for when creating a new account.

So what support told you is now correct (it didn't use to be in the past) they have changed things that now it is impossible to add accounts even in a new data file when your subscription has expired.

Personally I think this is a violation of what they have told people.
    Signature:
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I continue to be unable to add an account after my subscription expired. Support only asked me to try to patch Quicken with a patch from before my subscription expired. It did not help and I still get the error about datasets when I open and close Quicken. That is also the message I get when I try to add a new account. How many restores should you be allowed? I was restoring files to my desktop to keep them in sync with my laptop where I make most of my entries. What can I do when support continues to say you can't add an account to an expired subscription.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be something new.  I just installed the earliest Mondo patch I have for Quicken Subscription and it reacts quite differently.

First off once I installed it Quicken stopped posting the "Exceeded data set" message, and I can create an account.  What's more I notice that the "banner" is much smaller:
    This Mondo patch can be downloaded from here (R2.1):
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html

From there I proceeded to install the latest version that was usable according to this article for my expired subscription.  It expired Oct 28, 2018.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

Again the "Exceed data set message" didn't come up, and I can add new accounts.  This is R15.16.
    The bigger banner is on this version.

Signature:
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    So are you saying if I first install an older mondo update, it will eliminate the data set error? And you did that and then installed a more recent update and it continued to work without generating the error? I want to make sure I have understood what you said. If that is correct, how old do I need to go? The April did not work (my subscription expired May 19).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is correct.  For the first install I went with the oldest I had, which is R2.1.  I notice on the article they provided you can go even older, but I doubt the exact version doesn't matter, just a really old one.

Then provided that works (There is no guarantee that this is a "universal fix" for the exceeds data set error), then you would update to whatever version they allow for your subscription expiring (and hopefully that doesn't break it, notice the version I can use with my expired license is very old, so I don't know for sure there isn't a threshold of when the problem starts happening again.)
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per @Quicken Sarah on 4/7, "Yes, an affected User, even if they are using a non-supported version of Quicken should be able to contact Support for assistance with resolving the dataset exceeded error."
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for your help!! You are so generous with your time.

And of course, I contacted support yesterday, quoted them the advice that an affected User should be able to get assistance with this problem from support and was still told they couldn't help me because I was not subscribed. Perhaps non-supported doesn't mean unsubscribed, but I would think that is what it would mean.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    Left that last comment for Chris_QPW, but am thankful for all those who tried to help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Per @Quicken Sarah on 4/7, "Yes, an affected User, even if they are using a non-supported version of Quicken should be able to contact Support for assistance with resolving the dataset exceeded error."
    Now that you mention it, I remember this too, but as you can see from @GrandmaJo's response it looks like Quicken Support hasn't got the message.

BTW people have reported "Exceeds number of data sets" in Quicken 2017, so probably can happen in any version of Quicken that uses a Quicken Id (Quicken 2014 onward) not just Quicken Subscription.
    Signature:
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I've run into another problem. When i download and try to run one of the earlier mondo patches, it will not run on my win10 computer. It says the file is a type that can damage the computer and/or just won't run, saying something is wrong with the file. I've tried it several times with different patch files with the same result and remember having the same problem when I first tried to solve the data set problem. The latest mondo patch did work/run but failed to solve the problem. I did find a work around for the account problem. I found an old account that had been closed (though not formally in Quicken) and renamed it and am using it to keep track of the additions and subtractions in the account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    All executables have the "potential" to harm a machine, so at any given time your web browser or anti-virus software might warn you that it can happen (might be a virus).  You have to trust that the source/patch and bypass the warning and install it anyways.

Note that besides my website you can find the patches in the article from the Quicken site and as such know for sure they come directly from Quicken Inc (the ones on my site come from them too, but this is just bit more "direct" to be sure.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
    Signature:
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I was not given an opportunity to by-pass. It just wouldn't run. But I will try the alternate site you suggested.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GrandmaJo

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, although I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience experienced.

I have made a temporary change to your Quicken subscription which should allow you to successfully add the new manual account you are attempting to add.

Please open Quicken and your regularly used data file, you should be prompted to sign into your Quicken ID, enter the login credentials.

Once you have signed in, go to the Help menu > Check Membership Status, this is just to ensure the change I made is reflected in your data file.

Once you have checked the membership status, please attempt to add the new manual account once more.  The dataset exceeded error message should no longer appear, but please let us know how it goes.

On a side note, I dug into your account details a little further and can see an internal error that is being triggered each time you attempted to add that manual account.  This error message is partially connected to the expired subscription, but is actually tied to the internal dataset id that is assigned every Quicken data file.

I can't explain exactly what or how it happened, but it appears that you somehow deleted the dataset id that was originally attached to your data file.  It is required to have a dataset id, regardless if you have an active subscription or not.  So, each time you attempted to add the new account, the data file was attempting to create that required dataset id, which it cannot do without the active subscription, resulting in the error message you have been receiving.

With the change I made, you should now be able to create the required dataset id, which in turn will allow the creation of the new account, but I highly recommend that going forward, you do not attempt to delete any of the associated cloud accounts which hold the necessary dataset id.

If the cloud account associated with your primary data file is deleted, you will again experience this error/issue if you need to add a new account down the road.

I hope this information is helpful, please let us know how it goes with adding that new account and if there are any further questions/concerns the community or myself may assist with.

Sarah

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I don’t remember deleting any data set ids, though I think some time ago I might have deleted some cloud data sets after I was told to so by Quicken to solve an error message I was getting. I hope I can follow all that you told me to do, it seems sort of complicated, especially since with no quicken subscription, I usually am not able to do online activities. I’ll give it a try later today when I have some time.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    "With the change I made, you should now be able to create the required dataset id, which in turn will allow the creation of the new account" This is what you stated in the comment above. Is there something I need to be to create the dataset ID or will it happen automatically?
  • Quicken Sarah
    GrandmaJo said:
     Is there something I need to be to create the dataset ID or will it happen automatically?
    This should happen automatically when the manual account is added.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I followed your instructions and everything seemed to work ok. It did ask to sync my file and said the file was older than the cloud file, which seems impossible since I hadn't backed up anything online since my subscription expired. You said I should not see the data set error in the future? Is that correct? And will I be able to add manual accounts in the future or is that no allowed? Thank you SO much for helping with this. Will certainly make me consider subscribing again in the future, though since I've never used Quicken to download my account information, it was becoming quite expensive for how I used it.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    Should I be worried that the message when I exited said "error on cloud sync" or would that occur because of the one day limit? I think I had that error before my subscription expired and that was when Quicken suggested I go online and delete my cloud data to start over and eliminate the error.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi @GrandmaJo

Yay! I'm glad to hear that it seemed to work and thank you for posting back the update :)

That is correct, you should not receive this message going forward, but there are two scenarios that may cause the message to return:
    1. Creating a new data file.
    2. Restoring a backup file that the cloud account data has been deleted for.
    To clarify any misinformation provided previously, you absolutely can add new manual accounts to your data file after the subscription has expired, in versions Deluxe and above, under our Data Access Guarantee.

Please note: The Quicken Starter edition does become read-only when the subscription expires and no information, including new accounts or transactions, may be added or edited.

I hope this helps and please let us know if there is anything else the community or myself may assist with.

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • Quicken Sarah
    GrandmaJo said:
    Should I be worried that the message when I exited said "error on cloud sync" or would that occur because of the one day limit? I think I had that error before my subscription expired and that was when Quicken suggested I go online and delete my cloud data to start over and eliminate the error.
    Sorry that I missed this question in my previous response.  I would just ignore that message and not worry about it, it will disappear again once the subscription re-expires.  

Thanks again,

Sarah

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    If only the support staff knew that you should be able to add new accounts with the Deluxe version and that you shouldn't be getting dataset errors. Was told by several that you couldn't create a new account without re-subscribing. And does that mean I can't restore from a backkup without recreating the dataset error? Didn't really know what was meant by "that the cloud account data has been deleted for."
  • Quicken Sarah
    GrandmaJo said:
    If only the support staff knew that you should be able to add new accounts with the Deluxe version and that you shouldn't be getting dataset errors. Was told by several that you couldn't create a new account without re-subscribing. 
    Thank you for mentioning this, I have also forwarded the details of your multiple interactions with Support and the misinformation provided regarding adding new accounts to our Senior Leadership staff so they may be aware and can follow-up with the Agents as appropriate.

I've also requested our process documentation be updated to ensure if any other Users encounter this issue in the future, that our Agents are adequately prepared to help resolve the error.

GrandmaJo said:
    And does that mean I can't restore from a backkup without recreating the dataset error? Didn't really know what was meant by "that the cloud account data has been deleted for."
    I included that because I'm concerned that when Support had you delete the cloud accounts previously, they may have also deleted any cloud accounts associated with your already created backup files.  

If they did, then you would encounter the same error and behavior if trying to add a new account in the restored backup file.

To avoid that possibility, I would just create a new backup today and if you need to restore a back up in the future, just restore one that was created after today.

I hope this helps and thank you again,

Sarah
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    You have been so helpful, but I have just one more question to make sure I don't recreate this problem. I have a 2nd file that I have used for a long time that just tracks an investment in a mutual fund to see how my old holdings compare to my new ones. Will occasionally accessing this file cause the data set error? Thank you again for your generous help.