Can I upgrade from Reckon/Australia 2015 to Quicken Canada 2021 H&B

FiNaR
FiNaR Member ✭✭
Hello,

I'm relocating from Australia to Canada and I want to upgrade my Reckon 2015 to Quicken 2021...

The data file of Reckon is .qdf same ad Quicken thetefore I was wondering how the migration would happen as well as if I will maintain all the past info...

Thank you all
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing ... most likely not. But you can always try.
    Do be sure to purchase the Canadian version of Quicken H&B, not the US version, to get the proper VAT functions and the capability to download transactions from Canadian banks. It also knows how to spell "cheque" properly ... ;-)

• FiNaR
    FiNaR Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > I'm guessing ... most likely not. But you can always try.Do be sure to purchase the Canadian version of Quicken H&B, not the US version, to get the proper VAT functions and the capability to download transactions from Canadian banks. It also knows how to spell "cheque" properly ... ;-)

Thank you for this... this is the problem, I don't want to buy it if it does ot work... I mean could I export each account as qif and reimport them in quicken?

I might not be the only one migrating:p
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 30 day money back guarantee.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • FiNaR
    FiNaR Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > There's a 30 day money back guarantee.

I saw that... in this case what is the upgrade path? Do I need to do anything with tge QDF file?

Thank you
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest just trying to open the QDF file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest just trying to open the QDF file.

... or a copy thereof, so as not to change the original ... just in case.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note I believe the Reckon "data file" is in fact still multiple files that have to be converted together (or maybe one backup file), as in Reckon never got the change that happened in Quicken 2010 where they put all the the files into one "compressed file" with the suffix of .QDF.

Also on this subject:
    FiNaR said:
    Thank you for this... this is the problem, I don't want to buy it if it does ot work... I mean could I export each account as qif and reimport them in quicken?

I might not be the only one migrating:p
    QIF imports are very problematic especially for transfers, and in this case especially if you have multiple currencies.  A QIF file doesn't have any currency information in it, only numbers.  It is the currency of the account when it is created that decides this.  And if you bring in transfers between two accounts with different currencies it gets even more messy.  But the one workaround that I have found for importing QIF transfers is to change them to regular categories and as such Quicken isn't doing any kind of matching.  This still is "proper" in a double book account way.  And this would also eliminate the fact whenever you do a transfer between to accounts with different currencies it will ask for the exchange rate, which would be next to impossible to do during an import.

Here is that workaround:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.