Transactions change to "Unspecified Account" overnight

Yesterday I noticed some incorrect balances in my Checking and Savings accounts and I went back and fixed some [strange] items that were either there and shouldn't have been or not there and should have been. Everything tied and I reconciled all accounts. This morning I opened up the file and all of my balances were off. When I did a "Validate File", I got a report with dozens of transactions where the category was "Unspecified Account", when the last one I ran yesterday had zero. ???????

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    First off let me say that Unspecified Account is used when a transfer link is "broken" because an account is deleted.

Second I will say that a lot of people don't understand what Validate and Repair is in fact doing.
    It TRYING to fix any kind of bad references/settings and such.  If there is a bad reference say the link of a a transfer from one account to another, the "fix" might be to remove the link.  In other words Quicken's validate is trying to make the data file consistent, but depending on the damage it finds that fix might in fact result in throwing away data.

I personally think that people jump to using Validate and Repair way too much when instead restoring from a backup might have been the better choice.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mfullmer,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Quicken datafile.

Its difficult to know what may have gone wrong based on what you've said.  You said "... when the last one I ran yesterday had zero." - Are you saying that you ran the validate file procedure two days ago and then again yesterday?

Has this happened before to your file and or have you been having other issues for which you frequently run the validate file process?  Do you have a good recent backup file?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    First off let me say that Unspecified Account is used when a transfer link is "broken" because an account is deleted.

Second I will say that a lot of people don't understand what Validate and Repair is in fact doing.
    It TRYING to fix any kind of bad references/settings and such.  If there is a bad reference say the link of a a transfer from one account to another, the "fix" might be to remove the link.  In other words Quicken's validate is trying to make the data file consistent, but depending on the damage it finds that fix might in fact result in throwing away data.

I personally think that people jump to using Validate and Repair way too much when instead restoring from a backup might have been the better choice.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I am having the same issue. Transfers randomly change to "Unspecified Account", which throws off my balances. I find and fix them, only to find the problem recurring the next day. I have not run Validate and Repair in the meantime. Quicken is doing this on its own. Why?

As an aside and not directly relevant to this thread, Quicken also randomizes the order of the splits I put in transactions, which is merely annoying. And about a year ago, Quicken just dumped all of my split transaction data. This was several orders of magnitude beyond annoying. Unless they can develop solutions to these several issues rather quickly, I will likely not be renewing my subscription to Quicken.