Two of my credit card accounts are showing payments as charges, and charges as payments.

All my accounts are handled manually (not over internet), At one time, maybe 2-3 years ago, I was having this same problem with all my credit card accounts, but I just lived with it. Then, after several months, one of the monthly updates to my subscription fixed the problem. How do I get this mess resolved? This really screws up my check register if I don't remember to manually adjust it, or it will show more money in my check register, not less, and also shows more charges on my credit card accounts, not less!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    This is difficult to understand. 
    Since you are not relying on downloads to make entries to your credit card register and instead make manual entries, are you telling us that if you enter a dollar amount in the "Charge" column and hit "Enter", the dollar amount ends up in the "Payment" column of the register?  Or are you basing this claim based on the change you are seeing in the "Balance" column?
    Also, your statement that "This really screws up my check register if I don't remember to manually adjust it, or it will show more money in my check register, not less..." is puzzling.  First, since you are manually making entries I'd expect that the first entry you'd make when posting a payment would be in your checking Account, entering the transaction as a "Payment" in that Account and as a transfer to the credit card Account.  But from your statement it sounds like you're making that payment entry over in the credit card Account as a transfer from the checking Account and Quicken then "flips" the dollar amount over to the "Charge" column, increasing the balance in the checking Account.  How can you "manually" adjust what's already a manual entry? 
    This is a situation where a picture of a portion of your credit card Account, most importantly the "Charge", "Payment" and "Balance" columns, would help immensely in understanding what's going on. 
    What is the color (red/black) and the sign (positive/negative) of the current balances in these two credit card Accounts.  If a refund back to your credit card has "flipped" the balance from a liability - red number with a minus sign - to an asset - black positive number - then the change in the "Balance" column will decrease with charges (the amount owed you has been reduced) and increase with payments, and this behavior "seems" backwards, but it's not.  But that still shouldn't affect what's going on over in your checking Account.