How do I shrink my file size for better performance - running Qwin in Parallels on Macbook Pro ?

Rafi Schwartz
Rafi Schwartz Member ✭✭
My current Quicken file is almost 200 MB and I need to shrink it to get better performance. I have tried archiving all transactions prior to 2016 but that did little it terms of shrinking the file. I have 20 years of data and probably 30-40 active and dormant checking/savings/brokerage accounts. I am running the Windows version of Quicken in a Parallels environment on a brand new Macbook Pro having 8 GB of memory.

The slowest process and biggest pain is reconciling transactions in any of my investment accounts

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much RAM do you assign to Parallels and Windows? Depending on your Windows version you want to go as high as you can go. The more, the merrier. Can you add more RAM to your Macbook?

• Rafi Schwartz
    Rafi Schwartz Member ✭✭
    I increased it from 3 MB to 4 MB, time will tell
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just following -
    [EDIT] - updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A - also suggested Admin move to MAC section of forum
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I had the admin move it - as to me… the question was about … performance. 

“My current Quicken file is almost 200 MB and I need to shrink it to get better performance..”

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the kinds of questions that crosses boundaries so it is hard to say where it belongs.

In others words what are the possible reasons that might affect the performance?
    Quicken Mac can actually be ruled out here because it isn't being used.

On the other hand the VM is on a Mac so the performance might have something to do with how that Mac/VM environment is setup, and as such a Mac user of that VM software might have the best answer.

There is also the "generic" performance of Quicken Windows.  This question about the size of the data file affecting the performance comes up all the time for Quicken Windows (and in Quicken Mac for that matter).  And taken as that question then the answer is "The size of the data file has little to do with the performance, it is more affected by things like how many securities/security lots/transactions one has in an investment account, or other such things depending on where the slowness is."
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    For other users of Parallels VM, I've seen suggestions of 8MB being assigned to the Win partition ,,, and that resolved THAT user's issues.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talking about the amount of RAM used by Parallels on your MAC ...
    You said:
    > I increased it from 3 MB to 4 MB, time will tell
    > I've seen suggestions of 8MB being assigned to the Win partition
    Are you sure about the size?
    I think you meant to say GB (Gigabytes) instead instead of MB.
    In the 1980s you may have been able to run early versions of Windows on 2 MB to 8 MB computers, but today's Windows or Mac systems wouldn't even begin to wake up let alone function on a couple of measly megabytes of RAM.
    My original recommendation stands: Give your VM and Windows as much RAM as you can afford. 6 GB sounds good. If you have even more RAM installed, more power to VM is better.