I continue to get the error, "Quicken is unable to open the the selected file".

John Kilcoyne
John Kilcoyne Member ✭✭
This started with a error similar to as the norton issue, but I dint use Norton so I cant use that fix either. I have tried to restore from back up, unable to. I have chatted here and spoken to support person for several hours with no fix. I have used one drive and drop box but have uninstalled them from my computer. I tried to follow the instructions to resolve that and get the attached error. Looking for some help, its been 3 weeks or more since this started. I need to get fixed, I've been using Quicken since the 90s and really would not like to start over.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @John Kilcoyne

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with loading your files. I know that occasionally the program does have trouble with files that are cloud synced if they're still actively being synced. If you are trying to load one of these files I would recommend trying to turn off onedrive/dropbox sync for the specific file or move it into a location that's not actively being synced.

This is a good first step to try to see if we're able to load back into your file. Once you get the chance let us know if you're able to make any progress by trying these steps.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• John Kilcoyne
    John Kilcoyne Member ✭✭
    I tried to communicate this, but I have tried the procedures on the post for online drives. This involved making the files I was using were not in line with the Dropbox folders. I uninstalled both one drive and drop box. My backups and quicken files were not stored in those folders. I have also tried to validate and repair the file. Nothing seems to be working.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @John Kilcoyne

Thank you for the update. That is interesting it's every file. I'm wondering if it might be the program but it's hard to say. If you haven't already we can try a QcleanUI which completely removes Quicken (not your saves/backups) from your computer for a clean install. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Once you've uninstalled the program you should be able to install it again with the link down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

Once you've done this try opening the files again that you're having issues loading. Let us know how it goes once you get the chance.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • John Kilcoyne
    John Kilcoyne Member ✭✭
    I’ll give it a try, but I should mention my sons file works fine. It’s just my qdf file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried Validate and Repair on the file?
    When you start that say from your son's file, you can browse to do your file.

Baring that, about the only other way might be to recreate the whole file.
    Here is my take on doing that with a QIF export/import:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

A QXF export/import can be tried too, but only if you don't have any investment accounts or don't care about them (Quicken Windows' QXF export doesn't handle investment accounts).  Note transfers to investment accounts will be changed so the category is [Unspecified Account].
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I’ll give it a try, but I should mention my sons file works fine. It’s just my qdf file.
    I'm kinda lost in all the comments .... all combined into one posting....
    Can we walk thru each little simple diagnostic scenario with the various outcomes.
    You try to open your Quicken QDF file - and you received this error message ?
    Where exactly is your Quicken QDF file located - full path name ?
    Mine is ---> C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken-Files\QDATA-Tester.QDF
    You try to open your sons QDF file - and it opens ok ?
    Can you create a NEW Quicken file - as a test - enter some things - close it - and open it again ?
    With the TEST file open -
    can you perform a RESTORE over it -
    from either your Quicken auto backups or Quicken manual backups ?
    If that fails - how does it fail ?
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • John Kilcoyne
    John Kilcoyne Member ✭✭
    1. I keep my file on a removable hard drive in a quicken2019 file folder.
    J:\Quicken2019
    2. YEs I keep a separate QDF for my sons accounts, his business and personal checking and savings. It works fine and is locate in the same spot as mine.
    J:\Quicken2019
    3. I have created a new file , not as a test exactly but in preparation for not recovering this one. Same location and it works fine
    4. I opened the test file and then tried to open the original. I received this error attached
    5. I tried to restore from backup (stored at same location) over the file that works and I received an error that says:
    Quicken is unable to open this file
    If this is a quicken file, validate the file using
    file menu. validate and repair.
    Update any antivirus applications on your computer
    Restart windows before attempting to open the file again in Quicken

6. I have done all of that and repeated the above with same results.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest moving your Quicken data file to the C: drive. The default location is: C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Greg_the_Geek the problem could very well be tied to the fact that the file isn't on a local (non removable) drive.
    Signature:
  • John Kilcoyne
    John Kilcoyne Member ✭✭
    7. uninstalled quicken and reinstalled per instructions above. https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Same error stating Quicken is unable to open the file

8. I created a Quicken 2020 folder directly on my c://users/sugiant directory. Moved the QDF file to there and same results. I have no issues with my sons file stored on my removable file BTW.

9. I forgot to mention that have installed quicken on a brand new laptop I have. I moved the removable drive over and tried to open the file. Same issues. Seems to not be about where its stored but about the file itself.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well then I guess you really have done everything possible, the problem is with the data file.
    I know of no other way to fix it other than recreate it.
    Signature:
  • John Kilcoyne
    John Kilcoyne Member ✭✭
    crap, lol. Well I had started that, I guess I'll continue.