Online balances not correct

This discussion was created from comments split from: My online balance is not correct.

Comments

• kpret
    kpret Member
    I'm having the same problem. My online balance is stuck from a month ago...
  • kpret
    kpret Member
    I have the latest updates. It all of a sudden happened and now my credit card account shows it is off by $202.78 but doesn't show why. The credit card online balance in Quicken shows the the same as the transaction balance -which is also the true credit card online balance - but when I try to reconcile it says it is out by $202.78. Strange.
  • kpret
    kpret Member
    I've tried all the suggestions to correct the online balances in Quicken but to no avail. It seems the last few Quicken updates have messed with my data although I validated my file and found no errors. Something isn't working and I don't see anyone finding solutions to the problem.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the online balance obtained by Quicken is not reliable, do not use the online balance when you reconcile the account register.  Instead, reconcile using a statement ending balance and date obtained from the financial institution. 
  • Claudine H.
    Claudine H. Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If the online balance obtained by Quicken is not reliable, do not use the online balance when you reconcile the account register.  Instead, reconcile using a statement ending balance and date obtained from the financial institution. 

My checking account balanced in March 2021, then all of the sudden August 18, Quicken was inflated by $2,186.78. I couldn't reason it at all. I found your comment to deselect Reconcile using online balance & to reconcile using the bank statement, like I used to do, & I deselected it. Then in the same window, there's a box to reset the account with the reassurance no data will be deleted. I pressed Reset Account button & Quicken went through the motions. The Quicken balance after that was no longer inflated by 2,186.78 & in line with what the bank is. Thank you VERY much! Now this same account is off by 63¢ & I'm trying to find or reason with that meager amount.

I wanted to comment for the benefit to everyone else having this issue that I followed Sherlock's suggestion and it worked!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Claudine H.

On your current difference of 63 cents - this could possibly be a "transposition error".  That type of error is one where two adjacent numbers are reversed.  Here are two examples:

- the amount should be .81 but it was recorded as .18 ->  the difference is .63
    -  the amount should be .92 but it was recorded as .29 ->  the difference is .63

So if you want to find it look for those types differences first.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Claudine H.
    Claudine H. Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @Claudine H.
    >
    > On your current difference of 63 cents - this could possibly be a "transposition error".  That type of error is one where two adjacent numbers are reversed.  Here are two examples:
    >
    >  - the amount should be .81 but it was recorded as .18 ->  the difference is .63
    > -  the amount should be .92 but it was recorded as .29 ->  the difference is .63
    >
    > So if you want to find it look for those types differences first.
    >
    > Frankx

Thanks FrankX. I thought of that myself but that wasn't it. A number divisible by 9 evenly can be a transposition of a number. I came across 3 months of interest that did not have R's from 2016. All other entries besides current ones that haven’t clear my bank account yet were Reconciled, had R’s. Each one of those months were showing 21¢. I immediately thought 3 months X 21¢ is 63¢. But since those amounts were legitimately in the running balance that wouldn’t be the answer. Moving on, I happen to still have the bank statements from that long ago. I also had a printed Quicken register beginning October 2015 and looked to see what the interest amounts actually were. They were NOT 21¢ each. When I calculate the differences of the real amounts, 25¢, 29¢ 29¢ and the 3 21¢, the total difference is 20¢. That now means, the difference is 43¢. The account is still out of balance by 43¢. I have yet to find possible conflicting amounts. I’ll probably compare the register printout with the current Quicken register.
    In my opinion, those 3 amounts of 21¢ and lacking the R for reconciled happened along the way some time by a Quicken glitch. I didn’t state in my original posting that in March 2021, the bank wasn’t downloading transactions to Quicken. After a couple months, the transactions were downloading & matching my manual entries. Then Quicken didn’t show the correct online balance. When all that was happening is when I think the account faltered somehow because it changed 3 interest amounts in 2016 and they weren’t marked with R’s, Reconciled, anymore. It also could have happened when I ran Validations and Reset Account. BTW, Discover Card & Quicken were not playing nice either but I resolved it when I did a Reset Account.