Ally Downloads Changing the Beginning Balance of Account

I'm still having problems with ALLY downloads - logged out and back in again - deactivated and reactivated.... the downloads are CHANGING THE BEGINNING BALANCE of those accounts! How do I get this to stop? I also had the same issue one time last month with a Capital One download, but that account is okay now. Ally is consistently changing the beginning balance of the account - different numbers each time and it prevents the account from reconciling.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @dkgs

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering where exactly the issue is. I believe it might help trying on a test file to see if we have a similar issue. This will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what our next steps will be.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• dkgs
    dkgs Member
    I've done the test file - not sure what that was supposed to accomplish - the problem remains - I've also spent HOURS on the phone with support.....I'M STILL HAVING THE ISSUE - it doesn't seem to happen every time (at this point I can't hardly get ANY of the accounts to download properly), and today the downloads won't show up in any place that I can get to them. In other words I see a little blue indicator on the register that says new and match (these are on entries that I manually entered because I knew they were coming). And I see that transactions were downloaded (not sure where I can't find them!) So now apparently the transactions have been downloaded (beginning balance was changed) and I have no way to save the transactions to remove the indicators. They do NOT show up at the bottom like they used to. I recently upgraded to the home, business & rental property version in hopes that the downloads would work better (since it is a more expensive version of the program), but honestly, it is actually worse. The problem is that I don't have ALL DAY to sit on the phone to fix this - I've already done that and it still isn't right.
  • dkgs
    dkgs Member
    Also I get NO notifications about responses on this post... as I notice that the response was posted WEEKS AGO! How am I supposed to know when someone posts a response on this thread?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @DKS

You may want to customize your notification preferences so you're able to know if someone may have responded. You can do so by clicking your photo icon on the top right then selecting edit profile. From there on the right, you'll see notification preferences. You can customize it to fit your needs from here.

As for your issue, the test file helps us determine where exactly the issue is coming from. Did you have a similar experience in the test file as well? If so we can determine that the download would be causing the issue and not the file. 

The transactions not showing up is interesting. Since they're not showing up where we'd normally expect let's see if we're able to force the transactions into the register by changing one of the preferences. You can do this by going across the top to edit > preferences > downloaded transactions > select automatically add to banking registers and select ok. Check to see if the transactions are now in the register. Afterward, you repeat the process and unselect automatically add to banking registers to return your register to normal. 

Once you've had a chance to do so let us know more and if you're able to get the transactions showing up again.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • dkgs
    dkgs Member
    Update*** still happening and now with all accounts.... doesn't seem to matter what bank or credit card company.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    @dkgs

***UPDATE*** I just noticed in your last comment that the problem is happening in both your checking and credit card accounts. That changes things a bit, but perhaps what I've described below can still be of some help to you.

You don't indicate what types of accounts these are (checking, credit card) so I don't know if your problem is the same as mine, but it sounds similar. Here's my story:

I've seen this type of behavior with my Citi checking account. It happens to me when I have a problem with downloading and I deactivate/reactivate the account. Sometimes this seems to set off a string of events which end up with the opening balance changing. I've found that it happens when there are transactions in the state of "pending" on the Citi site at the time I do the deactivate/reactivate process. The balance change is usually, but not always, the total value of those pending transactions. Now when it happens, I enter an offsetting transaction on the day the opening balance was recorded to bring the account back into balance going back to the beginning. I've also learned to be more patient in terms of waiting for download problems to resolve themselves, which they do more often than not. The deactivate/reactive process looks to be relatively harmless when used on credit card accounts, but I don't trust using it for checking.  

I don't know if this will be useful to you, but perhaps it will point you in the right direction. 
  • swimraft
    swimraft Member ✭✭
    I have basically the same problem with Wells Fargo Accounts. The beginning balance from 2005 changed and the account was missing roughly 125 transactions. Previous to having the problem I did a re-sync for remote access, and reconnected to two Schwab accounts, and a Quicken MasterCard account - both of which have their own unique connection procedures. I did an update and then notice my Wells Fargo account did not update. I then reset my Wells Fargo checking account. If I remember correctly a list of Wells Fargo accounts were displayed and when I selected Link to Existing Account my Schwab accounts appeared as the selects - I then selected "don't add to Quicken" (or something like that). I ended up doing a restore of a backup from the previous day, and today the same problem happened after I did the reset and update of my accounts.
  • dkgs
    dkgs Member
    It does this with ALL ACCOUNTS... several different banks and several different credit cards. At this point I have noted the correct number on each account and that is the first thing I check when the account won't reconcile... 99% of the time that is the issue.