Multifactor Authentication Relief - Activate Existing Functionality

MFMauceri
MFMauceri Mac Beta Beta
With more financial institutions implementing dual (aka 'two', aka 'multi')-factor authentication to download Quicken transactions, it would be helpful if Quicken Mac took advantage of the Messages App's existing autofill capability in MacOS, as multi-factor verification will eventually become the rule rather than the exception for most financial institutions.

QUICKEN MAC PRESENTLY REQUIRES MANUAL DATA ENTRY (Typing):
Transposing from a text message dialog box that does not allow copy-and-paste.  This adds two unnecessary steps (typing & confirming) per financial institution...

RETYPE VERIFICATION CODE FROM:

THEN CONFIRM:

EXAMPLE: APPLE CODING ALREADY EXISTS TO STREAMLINE:
Selecting drop-down both enters code AND confirms entry with one click.

MULTIPLE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION REQUESTS BECOME TEDIOUS:
Enabling fill codes will help mitigate repetitive requests from each financial institution, each time.

CLICKING-ON, BEATS TYPING-IN, EVERY TIME:
One click completes process.

4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Great idea. (Although I usually use Quicken on my Mac and receive text message on my phone.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MFMauceri
    MFMauceri Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021
    @jacobs Enable the "Messages" App on your Mac and sync it with your mobile account # (and AppleID) in preferences.  You will receive (and can reply) on both devices (about simultaneously).  The "Fill" functionality works on both MacOS and iOS.

• jacobs
    Yes, I know I can sync them... but I generally don't want to. I have an iPhone, my wife has an iPhone, and we both share an iMac and MacBook Pro. Syncing makes sense for a single user, but not as much for shared devices. 
  • MFMauceri
    MFMauceri Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021
    @jacobs Create individual User accounts on each device and peacefully coexist (but with your own customizations, data, and preferences); password access, etc.  You can share (or not share) at whatever level best fits.
  • jacobs
    @MFMauceri. Thanks fr the suggestions. I am aware of having different user accounts, but my wife mostly uses an iPad and her phone and doesn't want to have to deal with a separate account on our Macs. Not having a separate user account makes it easy for her to access what she wants (including Quicken) without more hoops to jump through. As Apple has added more and more cross-device connectivity features over the years, I know we're swimming upstream being old-school with a single account, but it generally works best for us. ;) Maybe we'll change next time we replace one of our Macs. 
  • I would love for this functionality to be implemented in Quicken Mac. I use the feature constantly for authenticating on websites and other Mac apps that support it, and Quicken would be a perfect use case for the feature considering the number of times authentication is necessary when setting up downloads for multiple financial institutions.