McAfee VPN

I'm running McAfee VPN. When it is on, Quicken (R35.31) will not accept my log in credentials. I have the same problem with the Quicken Web site. I went to support but they just tried to point me to McAfee. Since it happens with both the web browser and their software, I believe this is a Quicken issue. I can get it to work by temporarily turning it off but this is CLEARLY a Quicken issue since I have been running the VPN for over a year and it has worked until Quicken's recent software updates.

The other issue that I have is that I get prompted to log on to Quicken through Quicken (Home, Business, and Rental property).

I really didn't get anything useful from Quicken support chat. I think this is a bug on Quicken's side and not something I need to solve.

If anyone has better workaround, please post.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt Quicken Inc or financial institutions will be willing to change this because the reason it doesn't work is because they consider this a security risk.

The people selling VPNs market it as a security measure for their users, but there is a flip side to this.
    Basically VPNs provide two things, a secure connection and a "fake" IP address (VPN provider's IP address instead of yours).

First lets look into the secure connection.  This is all well in good when you are browsing on a insecure network like at a hotel.  In that case it ensures that the connection between your computer and your Internet provider is secure (all the way to the VPN provider's server).  But if you are connecting with a secure connection like you would be to Quicken.com or a financial institution, it provides nothing, since the connection is already secure all the way to the website you are connecting to.  If you are browsing to a website that isn't a secure connection then the link between the VPN provider's server and the website is still insecure.

Next let's look at the fake IP address.  This is billed as "hiding your identity".  Well guess what that is exactly what hackers want too, and exactly what financial institutions (and organizations like Quicken that deal with your money) don't want.  Financial institutions are now getting hit up by hackers all the time and they are looking for any method to try to filter them out of the real customers.  And some of them (and I guess Quicken.com too) are resorting to looking at where the IP addresses come from and blocking the ones that aren't from the US/Canada.

BTW this is something that they would change on their servers, not something in Quicken itself.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dennis@1
    [email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problems at all with Quicken while using my VPN. I am not familiar with McAfee VPN, but one thing you might try is connecting in to a different server location with your VPN.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problems at all with Quicken while using my VPN. I am not familiar with McAfee VPN, but one thing you might try is connecting in to a different server location with your VPN.
    The key here is probably the "location" of the IP address of the VPN server.  If it isn't in the US/Canada it will probably get rejected.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/