Track Pending Securities Buy and Sell

An improved feature to Quicken suggestion, add a function to enter pending securities buy and sell orders. Enter account, order date, security (with Ticker Symbol), number of shares, share price, calculate total cost, and perhaps remark. An extended feature, link to functions of Investing -> Investing Tools -> Buy/Sell Preview.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can already enter investing transactions manually, before they are downloaded. If you do this, you may have to adjust the transaction to match the exact figures after downloading.

This is particularly the case for mutual funds, because the share price is not known until the end of the day.

Or are you asking for something different?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Thank you Mr. Harman. I am asking for something else.

It is helpful to track Stock Limit Orders in Quicken, as oppose to an independent spreadsheet. These pending orders will lie dormant until buy/sell criteria are met, then an execution occurs which Quicken will eventually update, should that account be part of download criteria.

I am asking for a place in Quicken to list all pending orders.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Aha. Limit orders. Isn't this information readily available at the brokerage website?

The Quicken user would have to type in all the info, because pending orders not included in the information sent by the FI during an update. Also when a trade is triggered, Quicken would need to know somehow that this trade closes out the pending order.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Alerts can be used to notify you when prices hit your preselected limits.
    Tools > Alerts Center > Setup > Investing > Price and Volume
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Thank you RJS. That is a workaround of what I'm seeking, yet incomplete.

When attempting to set Price/Volume, Quicken goes to a webpage that says, "Sorry, but it turns out we can't find that page".
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    That's odd. It worked for me just now using Firefox on Windows 10. I just added this alert. The page I landed on was https://investing.quicken.com/alerts/price.asp

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is the user ALERTED to these alerts - email, text message, through the Quicken software, sign in and check?  Don't see that identified on the quicken.com pages.  

Note that these alerts are really independent of the program (as I understand them).  The program can update your portfolio to the Quicken.com site, but you can also use that Quicken.com site to setup alerts without using the program.  You could do so for securities you do not own or have in your QDF file database.