Bulk edit dates? (Q Mac)

sbergmann
sbergmann Mac Beta Beta
The "Date" field is sorely missing from the "Edit Transaction" window. Am I missing something? 😳
3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity ... why would you have to mass-edit the date of many transactions? And what dates do you have? What new date do you want to update to?
  • sbergmann
    sbergmann Mac Beta Beta
    Compensating for a set of transactions that are missing from sync by duplicating an almost identical set from the previous month.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, you can't do this in Quicken Windows either.  I have seen such a request a couple times over all the years.  Given the rarity of the request, I'm guessing that is one reason it isn't available.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    sbergmann said:
    Compensating for a set of transactions that are missing from sync by duplicating an almost identical set from the previous month.
    With the absence of bulk editing dates, I'd note that unless you have a very large number of transactions, you can change the dates individually pretty quickly from the keyboard.
    • Click the first duplicated transaction
    • Press Return (to open it for editing)
    • Press ] or up arrow (to increment date one month)
    • Press Return (to save the transaction)
    • Click on the next transaction
    • Repeat
    I just tried this with 10 transactions, and after I got the rhythm of it after the first couple, I could do a transaction every 2 seconds, or 20 seconds overall. Obviously this isn't as practical if you have 100 transactions, but if you have a small or moderate number, it doesn't take too long.

I'd also mention that if this is a recurring problem with missed transactions (which probably shouldn't be the case), you might want to set them up as scheduled transactions in Quicken. This way, when the transactions download, they should match the transactions in Quicken, and if they don't download, you already have them there from you're manually-created scheduled transactions. This does require marking the transactions Paid each month to post the scheduled transactions, and may require dragging some downloaded transactions and manual transactions together if Quicken doesn't auto-match them, so it may or may not prove faster. I just thought I'd mention it as another way to work around such an issue.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • sbergmann
    sbergmann Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    For what it is worth, you can't do this in Quicken Windows either.  I have seen such a request a couple times over all the years.  Given the rarity of the request, I'm guessing that is one reason it isn't available.
    That's bizarre... I can't imagine how this would be non-trivial to implement...
  • sbergmann
    sbergmann Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    sbergmann said:
    With the absence of bulk editing dates, I'd note that unless you have a very large number of transactions, you can change the dates individually pretty quickly from the keyboard.
    • Click the first duplicated transaction
    • Press Return (to open it for editing)
    • Press ] or up arrow (to increment date one month)
    • Press Return (to save the transaction)
    • Click on the next transaction
    • Repeat
    I just tried this with 10 transactions, and after I got the rhythm of it after the first couple, I could do a transaction every 2 seconds, or 20 seconds overall. Obviously this isn't as practical if you have 100 transactions, but if you have a small or moderate number, it doesn't take too long.

I'd also mention that if this is a recurring problem with missed transactions (which probably shouldn't be the case), you might want to set them up as scheduled transactions in Quicken. This way, when the transactions download, they should match the transactions in Quicken, and if they don't download, you already have them there from you're manually-created scheduled transactions. This does require marking the transactions Paid each month to post the scheduled transactions, and may require dragging some downloaded transactions and manual transactions together if Quicken doesn't auto-match them, so it may or may not prove faster. I just thought I'd mention it as another way to work around such an issue.

That's pretty much how I do it. I even have a KM macro for it as I'm not in the habit of waiting for commercial entities to solve my UX problems... Just thought I'd ask before I post a potential dup feature request.
  • bob2021
    bob2021 Member ✭✭
    When I was running a version prior to subscription, I complained about the lack of being able to edit the date of multiple transactions. I was told by Quicken if I upgraded to the subscription version. I did so, much time has passed, and that functionality is still missing. Editing the date of multiple transactions at once is the multi edit I need to do the most. Quicken failed on what it told me.
  • bob2021
    bob2021 Member ✭✭
    Since I cannot apparently edit a post even seconds after posting, here is a correction:

>I was told by Quicken if I upgraded to the subscription version I would be able to do so.
  • jacobs
    @bob2021 When you are brand new to this forum, it limits what you can do in order to thwart scammers (which had been a problem in the past); after you've posted a number of times, you will be able to edit, and eventually gain other tools like inserting inline images.

Unfortunately, front-line support people don't always know or provide correct information, and it sounds like you got some wrong information. Either the support rep didn't understand what you were wanting to do, or misunderstood the capabilities of Quicken Mac. As is noted above in this thread, that capability doesn't exist in the much older and more mature Quicken Windows software. 

it might be helpful for you to describe how you use Quicken such that this functionality is needed for your work. For instance, if you're duplicating a bunch of transactions every month, I'd guess the programmers felt people would use scheduled transactions for that -- so it could be helpful to describe why that isn;'t a viable solution for you. 

• bob2021
    bob2021 Member ✭✭
    I have an informal bi monthly 'budget', and from the current date to the next pay period, I maintain my (mainly checking account) transactions so that I have a $1 as of the last day of the budget cycle (I have a small contingency payment transaction so that if I make a small amount mistake, my checking account won't be overdrawn). Transactions in that period are: ones I've actually made (i.e., a bill paid, a deposit made—whether 'posted' or not), and 'not paid' transactions (which I flagged with "NP" in the Memo/Notes field). Unpaid transactions include things like a 'spending' transactions, which is money I have left for discretionary spending, future (manually-paid) transactions (like getting a haircut), and and other transactions like a (not due) credit card payment that I might or might want to make (and which I might change the amount of) in the period.

Again, these transactions allow me to maintain a budget, yet still have flexibility in changing the date and/or amounts of the 'discretionary' transactions. I don't see the Budget feature in Quicken playing a role in this need (although I do have a Budget for keeping an eye on spending, currently, and historically).

I 'move forward' any such transactions that (now) have a date of yesterday, to today (or maybe to a later date), each day that I am working in Quicken. Having to change each such transactions dates individually, every day (or nearly so), is a big time waster. (Perhaps a feature where one could set desired transactions to 'auto forward' to the current date (like some calendars have) would be useful, but that's another matter.)

My system works *extremely* well for my needs, short of the ability to multi-edit the date.

There should be no reason for *not* to be able to multi-edit the date. If the UX designers know for sure that this would be a very lightly used feature, a Quicken preference to make the date visible or not in the multi edit dialog would resolve any concerns about making the interface unnecessarily busy. But I know there are others who have the same need.

thanks
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bob2021 ,
    thank you very much for explaining your needs.
    If I understand you correctly, you have a bunch of transactions in your register dated today, yesterday or other nearby dates which, every time you work with Quicken, you need to "push ahead of you" (like a snowplow pushing an ever increasing amount of snow) to change their date into the future, until you finally need (or delete) them.
    Wouldn't it be better if all these transactions were dated towards the end of your pay period? You wouldn't have to repeatedly edit the transactions to push them ahead of you. If you need one of those transactions, just edit it to today's date, save it and you're done.
    BTW, are you using Scheduled Reminder Transactions for everything which recurs on a regular basis, like monthly credit card or utility payments, weekly trips to the coffee shop, etc.? Those, after having been used for one payment instance, regenerate themselves to appear for the next instance. You use, skip or edit these as needed.
  • bob2021
    bob2021 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > @bob2021 ,
    => If I understand you correctly, you have a bunch of transactions in your register dated today, yesterday or other nearby dates which, every time you work with Quicken, you need to "push ahead of you" (like a snowplow pushing an ever increasing amount of snow) to change their date into the future, until you finally need (or delete) them.

Yes.

> Wouldn't it be better if all these transactions were dated towards the end of your pay period?

No, because their date sequence is often important for how I manage the 'discretionary' funds. For the most part, I want today's balance to show 'as if' those funds were already spent, although I *do* sometimes have such items (indeed) set with the last date in the period (those are things that are far more likely to be pushed into the next period, and/or the amount(s) modified.

> You wouldn't have to repeatedly edit the transactions to push them ahead of you. If you need one of those transactions, just edit it to today's date, save it and you're done.

> BTW, are you using Scheduled Reminder Transactions for everything which recurs on a regular basis, like monthly credit card or utility payments

Yes

> weekly trips to the coffee shop

No.

> Those, after having been used for one payment instance, regenerate themselves to appear for the next instance. You use, skip or edit these as needed.

Indeed. I use those, and they work well for me in many cases, but my 'not paid' items as I've described don't fit into that model for me.

thanks
  • jacobs
    @bob2021  Thanks for taking time to explain how you are using Quicken and how this feature would help you. I never cease to be amazed at all the creatively-different way Quicken users use the program in ways it was probably never designed to be used. ;)

I agree that mass editing dates on multiple transactions seems on the surface tube a relatively easy programming change. I don't know if there are any unapparent complications in implementing it. I wonder if they didn't use dates because they didn't perceive many people would need to mass edit multiple transactions to a new date, and because it used inadvertently, it could wreak havoc on users' data. That is, if you mass edit a category change by mistake, you can search for all those transactions and change them back/to the correct category in mass or one at a time. But if you accidentally change the dates of a lot of transactions, there's no clue left behind about the original date of those transactions. Mass changing dates of already-reconciled transactions could also make things messy. So I don't know if they didn't provide mass editing of transaction dates to protect users from messing up their data, or because the need for it never occurred to the programmers. 

I've requested a moderator to turn this thread into an "Idea" post, so people who would like to see this functionality can add their votes. Idea posts which garner significant votes are then passed on to the program development team.
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community about this request.

I went ahead and changed this post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on this idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
  • bob2021
    bob2021 Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @bob2021  ... [i]t used inadvertently, it could wreak havoc on users' data. That is, if you mass edit a category change by mistake, you can search for all those transactions and change them back/to the correct category in mass or one at a time. But if you accidentally change the dates of a lot of transactions, there's no clue left behind about the original date of those transactions.

When one (mass) edits (amounts / split amounts) of all instances of a series, a similar condition exists (maybe no quite as difficult to recover from, *if* the user can reconstruct the actual amounts from memory, or other means. (I imagine there are other similar changes users can make that recovery could be very difficult.)

> Mass changing dates of already-reconciled transactions could also make things messy.

I have no need to mass edit dates of these type, so no problem there.

> I've requested a moderator to turn this thread into an "Idea" post, so people who would like to see this functionality can add their votes. Idea posts which garner significant votes are then passed on to the program development team.

Much appreciated!
  • bob2021
    bob2021 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    > @Quicken Anja said:

> Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.
    > I went ahead and changed this post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on this idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

When I click the up arrow (in the graphic with the yellow background, which is the only place I see an up arrow) nothing happens. iOS (latest), Safari.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bob2021 said:
    > @Quicken Anja said:

> Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.
    > I went ahead and changed this post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on this idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

When I click the up arrow (in the graphic with the yellow background, which is the only place I see an up arrow) nothing happens. iOS (latest), Safari.

The image which @Quicken Anja provided is only an inactive example. You need to scroll up to the very top of this discussion (or the top of page 1 of multi-page discussions) to vote in the yellow box found there.
    Click on the triangle to submit your vote. Wait a couple of seconds for the request to be sent to the server, until the triangle changes color and the vote count increases.
    If you ever change your mind, you can undo your vote by clicking the triangle again.
    (It would have been better if Anja had explained the process in a little more detail.)

• gizmo78023
    gizmo78023 Member ✭✭
    In my investments, I have frequent bi-monthly contributions into my 401k, with regular and repeated portfolio purchase transactions. It is simple enough to duplicate a large group of identical repetitious purchases. It would speed up my process if I could "group" edit the date on all of those transactions right after the duplication instead of managing the date individually. Especially when the date moves the transaction forward several screens in the register, I have to scroll back to find the duplicate transaction group.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @gizmo78023,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja