Quicken crashed upon opening

When I open Quicken, it seems to get the correct data file, but as soon as I do anything on the computer (for example, move the cursor), Quicken crashes and I get a bug report screen. I am not able to do anything with Quicken itself.
Is there a "safe mode" that I can use to see what might be happening?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive and the full path to the backup folder? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.

• Thanks, but this didn't fix it. Even with the data files renamed, and a new version of Quicken, downloaded from my account, freshly installed, and computer rebooted, I get the same crash. Quicken looks like it has loaded and gets to the point where it looks for the data file, then crashes and gives me the error reporting dialog box.
  • I've been using Quicken since 2011. It was working fine the last time I used it on 3 September. Now it crashes relentlessly.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive and the full path to the backup folder? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.