First Tech Fed C.U. OL-297-A error on download since 9/14/2021

Since Tuesday - every attempt at connecting to First Tech has returned immediately with the OL-297-A error. All other accounts (3 other banks, many credit cards, stock accounts) have no issue.
Quicken Premier R35.31, Build 27.1.35.31

It is NOT my internet connection.

Help.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297
  • etango101
    etango101 Member
    I am having the same problem with First Tech. All other banks are working fine.
  • slsdoug
    slsdoug Member
    As of 9AM on Sept 16, same issue. Immediate OL-297-A. Yes, I reviewed what Sherlock suggested. All other accounts and banks work fine, so it is not the internet connection.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16
    slsdoug said:
    As of 9AM on Sept 16, same issue. Immediate OL-297-A. Yes, I reviewed what Sherlock suggested. All other accounts and banks work fine, so it is not the internet connection.
    What did financial institution have to say when you contacted them as directed by the Quicken Support guidance you reviewed?

• GlenP
    GlenP Member
    Same problem here. First Tech keeps returning an error over the last few days.

Can log in fine on their web site.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GlenP said:
    Same problem here. First Tech keeps returning an error over the last few days.

Can log in fine on their web site.
    Perhaps if some of their customers let First Tech know they have an issue, they'll address it.
  • Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    I "let them know" yesterday... and they wanted me to reset my connections... I"m planning to wait a couple of days and see if it goes away rather than to try this fix.

Specifically

"Good Morning Bill. Our connection is not broken. Can you try the following steps to see if this changes your experience?
    Deactivate accounts from Download setup (would recommend to back up Quicken file before doing the next steps.)
    Navigate to the Tools Menu > click Account List
    Next to your First Tech account > click Edit > click Online Services tab > click the Deactivate button (Repeat this step for all FT accounts)
    Once all FT accounts are deactivated:
    Next to one of your FT accounts > click Edit > Online Services tab > click Set up Now
    Enter FT credentials (2FA authentication may be required during this step)
    Once it finds all FT accounts > Option to Add, Link to existing or Do Not Add will be available
    For the accounts you wish to see in Quicken downloading, choose Link to existing and match to the correct account (Quicken may do this automatically, just double check to make sure it matches).
    Once you have all the accounts Added or Linked click to continue forward.
    New transactions will start to be imported.
    ~ Stefanie"
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill Pa said:
    I "let them know" yesterday... and they wanted me to reset my connections... I"m planning to wait a couple of days and see if it goes away rather than to try this fix.

Specifically

"Good Morning Bill. Our connection is not broken. Can you try the following steps to see if this changes your experience?
    Deactivate accounts from Download setup (would recommend to back up Quicken file before doing the next steps.)
    Navigate to the Tools Menu > click Account List
    Next to your First Tech account > click Edit > click Online Services tab > click the Deactivate button (Repeat this step for all FT accounts)
    Once all FT accounts are deactivated:
    Next to one of your FT accounts > click Edit > Online Services tab > click Set up Now
    Enter FT credentials (2FA authentication may be required during this step)
    Once it finds all FT accounts > Option to Add, Link to existing or Do Not Add will be available
    For the accounts you wish to see in Quicken downloading, choose Link to existing and match to the correct account (Quicken may do this automatically, just double check to make sure it matches).
    Once you have all the accounts Added or Linked click to continue forward.
    New transactions will start to be imported.
    ~ Stefanie"
    Sounds like an excellent first step to me.  By deactivating the Online Services of all of the registers associated with the financial institution, Quicken should appropriately reset the financial institution's profile when you subsequently attempt to setup the Online Services again.  I would suggest clearing the name of the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details window after deactivating the Online Services of the registers and selecting Tools > Add Account... to reestablish the Online Services.  Quicken should provide a list of the accounts it finds at the financial intitution and allow you to link the accounts to the existing registers.
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. Has anyone followed Stefanie's and Sherlock's suggestions?
    Mike - Quicken Deluxe 2020 R35.31 Build 27.1.35.31
  • Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Yeah... I did... and I need to restore from a backup and try it again.

I restored from a backup... and tried the fix.

It appears that doing all this corrupted one of my accounts... it "downloaded" 3 transactions that were already in the register... (duplicates) and weeks old... which I deleted... but then the account balance in quicken was off... (appears to be off even back 20 years at this point)... but maybe I screwed something up. Two of the transactions it "downloaded" were transfers from an account at a different institution... and both sides of those transactions (the original ones) looked fine...

But I'm thrashed tonight and tired of messing with it. Try again tomorrow.

I'll probably try going back to the backup again and try the process again.

First Tech asked for a "screen shot" and quicken and OS details - which I can't do without going back to the backup again... (since now I have a corrupt file but I'm not seeing the error any longer)... so maybe I'll try this tomorrow... from a known backup.

IN the meantime I'll watch this thread to see if anyone else has any luck.
  • slsdoug
    slsdoug Member
    Ok. I got it working. Something definitely changed Sept 14th. Here is a helpful link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/message-ewc-dc-ol-238-mismatch
    What I did was for each account (on Account List page. Click edit button by each account):
    - make sure automatic entry (on Online Services tab) is off.
    - deactivate the account
    The transaction download column for each deactivated account will say No and have a link.
    Click on the link next to one of the deactivated accounts.
    It will connect with FTF then ask for login and password. I checked the box that said 'save password to vault'.
    Click on 'connect' or 'next' button (can't remember exact name).
    It will connect with FTF. I have 2 logins. One login I received a message that FTF had a message for me. I had to login via browser and accept electronic download policy.
    Both logins forced me to get a 6 character access code via email, sms, or phone call.
    Once I entered access code I was presented with a list of all accounts.
    For each account, you could link (via dropdown box) to your Quicken account (this is what I picked since the account already existed in quicken), or Add to quicken, or do nothing.
    Once I did that then the account would update.
    The download ID is now a 20 some digit ID.

Doug
  • jsauser11
    jsauser11 Member
    I to have had issues with my First Tech accounts since 14 September 2021. I have opened a ticket with their support staff, and tried the "deactivate all First Tech accounts" and then attempting to reestablish. It will reestablish, but no longer with Direct Connection, only with Express Web Connect. Was able to verify this by creating a new .QDF file with no accounts, and then trying to set up First Tech with Advanced Options for Direct Connect. When doing this, you get an initial OL-297A error, and then it continues with the two factor authorization and finds all the accounts, but when you complete linking them to the existing Quicken First Tech accounts, the update type is always Express Web Connect. Quicken support informed me that this rests solely on the institution, since Direct Connect relies upon the institutions servers, not Quicken's. So, I have sent log files to First Tech but since then have not heard anything back. To me, it appears something changed at First Tech on or about 09/14/2021, since since that date, I have been unable to obtain updates via Direct Connect, only via Express Web Connect.
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    > @slsdoug said:
    > Ok. I got it working. Something definitely changed Sept 14th. Here is a helpful link:
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/message-ewc-dc-ol-238-mismatch
    > What I did was for each account (on Account List page. Click edit button by each account):
    > - make sure automatic entry (on Online Services tab) is off.
    > - deactivate the account
    > The transaction download column for each deactivated account will say No and have a link.
    > Click on the link next to one of the deactivated accounts.
    > It will connect with FTF then ask for login and password. I checked the box that said 'save password to vault'.
    > Click on 'connect' or 'next' button (can't remember exact name).
    > It will connect with FTF. I have 2 logins. One login I received a message that FTF had a message for me. I had to login via browser and accept electronic download policy.
    > Both logins forced me to get a 6 character access code via email, sms, or phone call.
    > Once I entered access code I was presented with a list of all accounts.
    > For each account, you could link (via dropdown box) to your Quicken account (this is what I picked since the account already existed in quicken), or Add to quicken, or do nothing.
    > Once I did that then the account would update.
    > The download ID is now a 20 some digit ID.
    >
    > Doug

Doug, did you get Direct Connect or Express Web Connect when you reconnected your accounts?
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Quick update - I looked at my connection log and see this:

20210917 14:32:24: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.firsttechfed.com
    20210917 14:32:24: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186444
    20210917 14:32:24: A certificate is required to complete client authentication

20210917 14:32:24: QFN: End send to https://ofx.firsttechfed.com, netstatus 36

I chatted with Quicken support and included this text. They insisted that this is an issue at the FirstTech server and that deactivating/reactivating the account would be useless.

I've sent this info to First Tech via secure message to get their response. Seeing that it's Friday afternoon on the west coast, I doubt I'll hear anything until next week.
  • slsdoug
    slsdoug Member
    Mike,

I believe the Direct Connect is for paying bills through Quicken. I did not select this. I'm not in front of my quicken computer.

Doug R35.31
  • wjkjr
    wjkjr Member
    FYI - OL-297-A when trying to up transactions with First Tech Federal CU
  • jsauser11
    jsauser11 Member
    Got this message from First Tech support this morning regarding my connection issue:

"First Tech Federal Credit Union
    9/18/2021, 10:10:58 AM
    Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your reply and update. We no longer support Direct Connect. I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

When emailing members it is our goal to make sure you are completely satisfied with the level of service we are providing you. Please let me know if I have not satisfied all of your questions.

If you need additional assistance please do not hesitate to reply to this secure message. We are available to reply to messages Monday through Friday from 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM Pacific Time.

Thank you for your continued membership!

Thanks,

Shulawn
    eSupport SR"

So, if your accounts were previously set up with Direct Connect, you will get OL297A whan attempting to update them. They downgraded their supported connection but I sure didn't receive any notification of this until my updates failed and I had to investigate.
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    edited September 18
    Well that's not a great way to treat a customer. Thanks for sharing this.

Interesting note, after changing to Express Web Connect, I get a prompt from Quicken saying that my institution supports an improved connection method. :#
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    edited September 18
    I just received a reply from First Tech and from the apparently same support person that doesn't explicit state that DC is no longer supported:

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for your secure message. I understand the importance of having accurate information through Quicken. I would be happy to troubleshoot this with you.

Multiple members have experienced similar connection issues, and we are trying to determine the source.

<steps to deactivate/reactivate account deleted>

If these steps should not work, please provide the following to report this to IT as a help desk ticket to troubleshoot further:
    - Screenshot of the error
    - Date and time of the error
    - Version of Quicken
    - Operating System

My intentions are to make sure that I have satisfied your banking needs and exceeded your expectations. If I have failed to do this for you, please let me know. If you need additional assistance please do not hesitate to reply to this secure message. We are available to reply to messages on Monday through Friday from 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM Pacific Time.

We appreciate your continued membership!

Sincerely,

Shulawn
    eSupport Associate"

I've asked for them to clarify if DC is no longer supported or is it just having issues.
  • MCS
    MCS Member
    Same error for me using Express Web Connect. Been getting it for several days. Last successful connection was Sep 9th
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    THEmikehd said:
    Well that's not a great way to treat a customer. Thanks for sharing this.

Interesting note, after changing to Express Web Connect, I get a prompt from Quicken saying that my institution supports an improved connection method. :#
    It seems that if they dropped support for Direct Connect they never informed Intuit/Quicken.  Direct Connect is still listed as supported in the list of financial institutions.  That is the reason you see the prompt for "improved connection method".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MCS
    MCS Member
    I was using Direct Connect and got same error. I switched today on the Account List screen to using Express Connect and it is now syncing fine. The few bills I pay from FT accounts I do directly on the FT website anyway.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    wjkjr said:
    FYI - OL-297-A when trying to up transactions with First Tech Federal CU
    You may want review: First Tech Fed C.U. OL-297-A error on download since 9/14/2021

MCS said:
    Same error for me using Express Web Connect. Been getting it for several days. Last successful connection was Sep 9th
    The OL-297-A error is not a valid Express Web Connect error.
  • rap
    rap Member
    What a mess, same issue here. I deactivated and reconfigured all my FT accounts and they are now all using Express Web Connect instead of Direct Account. After reactivating, I had to go through and delete a bunch of duplicated transaction downloads for old previously cleared stuff and it also somehow reset the opening balance on a recently opened credit card account to the current balance. Now that all that is straightened out, it is prompting that my institution supports a better connection method, but returns the same OL-297-A error if I try to fix it.
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Direct Connect at FirstTech has failed before, requiring users to use EWC until DC's issues were resolved by FT's IT dept. With the somewhat conflicting replies from the same FT support person, we don't know if DC is dead at FT or just wounded and may be back.

I just received this reply from FT support, which doesn't clarify anything except they don't seem to know either:

9/19/2021, 8:53:22 AM
    Hello Michael,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide this information. I have notified earlier this year that we did not support Direct Connect and if members do not use Quicken for Bill Pay or Transfer, then to recommend trying to use Express Web Connect instead.

I have submit a ticket # 338897 with your notes and experience and requested an update on this information now. Please allow 2-3 business days."

According to this Q support article (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank), the only advantage with DC over EWC is if you use Q to pay bills and transfer money from funds at that FI. Since First Tech has had very dependable bill pay and within account money transfer functions, my need for DC is nil.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19
    THEmikehd said:

According to this Q support article (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank), the only advantage with DC over EWC is if you use Q to pay bills and transfer money from funds at that FI. Since First Tech has had very dependable bill pay and within account money transfer functions, my need for DC is nil.
    This is incomplete information.  Some of the other differences between Direct Connect and Express Web Connect are:

1. Direct Connect is a standard protocol (OFX protocol) and Express Web Connect isn't, it is an "agreed upon arrangement between Intuit and the financial institution on how Intuit server will log into their website (which isn't standardized and can change at any time) and fetch the transactions and if need be convert their format.  The Intuit servers are logging into the website as if they were you.  The OFX protocol requires an OFX server that is separate from the website and has its own security model.  This is really important when you start talking about multiple authentication for the website, it is setup for "interactive" not non interactive so that Quicken can get the information in an automated method.
    2. Direct Connect passwords are only stored in the data file in the Password Vault.  Express Web Connect passwords are stored on the Quicken and the Intuit servers.
    3. Because of the above Direct Connect tends to be much more reliable than Express Web Connect.  Just a quick scan of this category https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts shows the tons of connection problems, and they are mostly Express Web Connect.
    4. The communication for Direct Connect is logged in the OFX log and is in a standardized format.  The communication for Express Web Connect is logged in the Cloud Sync Log and is very "verbose" non standardized, and hard to read.
    So in a nutshell there are two major differences between the two, reliability and security of your credentials.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • r-e-l
    r-e-l Member ✭✭
    well ... add me to the "me too" list ...

clearly this is not a user error and not a single device issue but something that have changed on one side of the services.

folks are saying/asking "did you bring this to the attention of FT" - clearly enough people did.

the question is - did any one bring this to Quicken attention?

why would Quicken put its users as the middle man between the two companies and not have a "connectivity" team that will work with First Tech (in this case) to help them debug the issue?

Really frustrating ...
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Good news everybody! Support at First Tech has replied:

9/20/2021, 10:59:22 AM
    RE: Ticket Number 338897

Hello Michael

This message is to confirm that a Help Desk ticket has been received due to the inability to utilize Quicken Direct Connect.

Please be assured that direct connect is still supported. Therefore, I have escalated this matter for repair. I truly appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the quicken connection issue."

Looks like DC will be back at some point. In the meantime, EWC meets my needs.
  • THEmikehd
    THEmikehd Member ✭✭
    Looks like they're trying to get this fixed...

9/20/2021, 5:50:12 PM
    Hello,

We are following up on a helpdesk ticket submitted on your behalf. Please be assured our developers are working diligently to resolve the issue you are experiencing with Quicken. We will send you a follow up message once the issue has been resolved. We apologize if this causes you any inconvenience and appreciate your patience."
  • Adding to list of people with this problem which started ~mid- September for me.