Web-Connect vs Import QFX for Checking account - different data

Hi, I set up my checking account with webconnect (Wells Fargo) and imported my transactions. I noticed several were missing that appear on Wells Fargo as processed (not pending). So I downloaded Wells Fargo to QFX file and imported it into Quicken.

This import contained the missing transactions. It also imported 60% as duplicates in in the register (there was no offer to match and match manually was not offered the correct transactions) - the QFX imported one day different from the Web-connect import.

To my mind, the date of the transaction for quicken should always be the same regardless of method used to import into the register.

This has made a right mess of the register. It will take a long time for me to go through the transactions and delete the duplicates. Even so, what happens the next time I use web-connect? QFX? I suspect each method will duplicate some of the deleted transactions.

Matching issues, missing transactions, and different dates imported for same transactions have been happening for years. Someone is not testing thoroughly or not at all.

Kind regards.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three connection methods: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Duplicate transactions appear when the algorithm used to generate the FITID field changes.  This may happen when we change connection methods.  The good news is that it is a one time event.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    … The good news is that it is a one time event.
    As long as you don't go back to the previous download method.  Express Web Connect, the method you are referring to as "webconnect" has one way of generating the FITID.  The REAL Web Connect method (the .QFX downloaded from the website manually) has a different way of generating the FITID.  You need to stick to one method and stay with it, otherwise you will need to deal with duplicates.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    pseudonym said:
    This import contained the missing transactions. It also imported 60% as duplicates in in the register (there was no offer to match and match manually was not offered the correct transactions) - the QFX imported one day different from the Web-connect import.
    This has made a right mess of the register. It will take a long time for me to go through the transactions and delete the duplicates. Even so, what happens the next time I use web-connect? QFX? I suspect each method will duplicate some of the deleted transactions.
    Before you imported the web-connect (QFX) file, did you create a backup of your Quicken data file before you started the import process?
    If you did, this would have given you a fallback position, to quickly and easily restore your Quicken data file to a known good status. QFX import dumps all transactions from the file into Quicken, sight unseen, no matching, no checking.
    For future reference, please remember to create a backup every single time you close Quicken or every time you are about to make changes which affect a large number of transactions. One can never have enough backups of the Quicken data file.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data