Why is transaction entry taking so long?

Long-time user of Quicken Premier. My setup:
MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.15.7
VMWare Fusion version 11.5.6
Windows 10 Home (version 21H1 build 19043.1237)
Quicken Premier R35.31 build 27.1.35.31

The above setup has been working very well for several years, but lately (like for the past 6-8 weeks) I've noticed that transaction data entry/editing has become tedious because each transaction takes anywhere from 10-25 seconds to complete. From the time I hit "Enter" or click the "Save" button in Quicken, the cursor spinning wheel starts turning, usually the entire Windows screen does a momentary "resolution shift" that lasts a second or two before reverting to the normal resolution, then the blue cursor wheel spins for a while longer before Quicken completes the transaction save and returns control so that I can move on to the next task. I'm not sure if this is a Quicken issue or a Windows/VMWare issue. Either way, it only became a problem recently. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thank you.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much RAM have you assigned to VMWare?
    Windows 10 needs a minimum of 8 GB RAM to somewhat work. The more RAM, the better it will perform, with much reduced paging I/O to the Windows Pagefile slowing down everything in Windows.
  • David Brown
    David Brown Member ✭✭
    My MacBook Pro only has 8GB RAM total. The VMWare VM had 2GB assigned to it. Although not ideal, that has been adequate for running nothing but Quicken on the Windows 10 VM - until recently when I began to see the ridiculous (10-25 seconds) transaction save times. As an experiment, I tried increasing the RAM assigned to the VM to 4GB (leaving only 4GB to Mac OS) and there was no improvement in the transaction save time in Quicken. I understand that more RAM would be better, but I only have 8GB to work with on the MacBook and there is something else going on here. Was there a recent Quicken software change that perhaps made the transaction save process less efficient, especially in a tight RAM environment? And why does the display resolution seem to "shift" for a second during every transaction save?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    2GB is very little for Windows 10, but in general I have not seen a connection between the amount of memory a machine has and the performance of Quicken.  This mostly due to the fact that Quicken really doesn't use that much memory.  For instance it uses less than most web browsers.  For instance right now Quicken is using 138MB and that is after I have opened several non investment and investment accounts (which Quicken caches in memory).

When performance problems like these popup out of the blue so to speak, it is usually something about the data file or in some cases about the graphic system.

Over the years such reports constantly trickle in (even on none VM systems with plenty of RAM).  Unfortunately there never seems to be any smoking gun/universal fix.  Basically you start the troubleshooting like Validate and Repair and hope you find it.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David Brown
    David Brown Member ✭✭
    I greatly appreciate the response and insight. I will try running Validate and Repair. Incidentally, do these issues have anything to do with the data file size? My data file is 406MB with transactions dating back to 2006. Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The overall size tells very little about what the performance will be, especially if you are using attachments that tend to drastically increase the size, but aren't accessed unless you are actually looking at one of them.

If the the performance problem is in an investment account, then it usually has to do with how many securities, security lots, and transactions are in that account.  Archiving closed lots might help in that case.  In non investment accounts there does seem to be some kind problems that start when you get about 32,000 transactions in a register, but that is about it.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Large amount of memorized payees (more the hundreds) or large amount of categories have sometimes have caused performance problems for some people.
    Signature: