Consistent "Write Error"

Getting the following error message every time my computer goes to sleep and reawakens just prior to resuming or restarting Quicken for Windows (subscription version).

"Write failed. So not flushing the data to the file."
(*see screenshot image attached below)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SCGay

How and more importantly "where" are you backing up your Quicken datafile to, especially your automatic backups? 

If you are backing up to a drive other than one of your computer's hard drives, that is likely the cause of that  error message.  I suggest that you not do that. Rather, you should backup to the same hard drive that you keep your Q datafile on (preferable in the Documents/ Quicken folder).  You can then move/store older backups to another drive after the fact.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• SCGay
    SCGay Member
    I regularly manually backup to my computer HD. I have done that since beginning to use Quicken for Windows 15-16 years ago
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so your data file is located on your hard drive rather than on One Drive or a similar remote location?

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• SCGay
    SCGay Member
    <root drive>Users//Documents/Quicken Backup Folder
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It appears to me that you are using Quicken for Windows on a Mac in some sort of virtual machine or whatever it is that allows you to run QW on the Mac.
    If that is true, are you storing the data file in a Mac file area or a Windows file area?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You should never allow your machine to go to sleep when Quicken has the data file open.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • SCGay
    SCGay Member
    I am using the system and machine EXACTLY the same as I have forever when the exception of regular updates to Safari and Parallels. I hear your feedback but unfortunately none of it explains why this has become an issue after 15 years.

Thanks for the input. My money is on an update influence with my machine. I’m still running an old Windows 7 platform.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well first off Quicken Subscription isn't support on Windows 7.  But on the sleep mode all I can say you have been asking for trouble and it looks now that you got it.  The premise with sleep is that in fact the computer/disks and everything can be restored exactly how that were before so that the Quicken can continue exactly where it left off.  Well even if the computer state is perfectly restored there is at least one thing that is going to change, and that is the time and possibly the date.  Depending on what Quicken was doing at the time this can cause problems.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. You could install a older patch version to see if it is something that has changed, but I doubt Quicken developers would even consider making any changes for this use case even if the behavior has changed.  Quicken assumes a "stable local hard drive" and has zero checks for errors or inconsistencies, and is a database where the state is extremely important.  That is why they don't recommend having a data file on a network drive.  Going into sleep not knowing what state the Quicken data file is in, falls into this same category.

You can get past patches here:
    Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken
    Signature:
  • SCGay
    SCGay Member
    Thanks
  • SCGay
    SCGay Member
    BTW...I am not placing the computer into "sleep mode". By going to sleep, I was referring to the system timing out. My data has never been stored anyplace other than my HDD. I am on the Quicken subscription plan and the Parallels subscription plan.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I was referring to the operating system sleep/ hbernating modes.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > <root drive>Users//Documents/Quicken Backup Folder
    If your Quicken data file is stored in the Mac portion of the Documents folder (as you stated above), then to Parallels and Windows this is a network - connected drive, even though it physically is located in the internal Mac hard drive.
    Using Windows File Explorer, do move your Quicken data file(s) to the Windows C - drive and its C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken folder.
    After moving is complete, start Quicken by double-clicking the file in its new location. This makes Quicken remember the new location for next time.
    Change Backup settings in Quicken to send manual backups to the Windows drive letter mapped as Mac <root drive>Users//Documents/Quicken Backup Folder every [1] time you close Quicken (Edit / Preferences / Backup). Or send it to Time machine or an external USB stick or USB hard drive, something other than the Mac internal hard drive ... just in case the Mac hard drive goes poof!