Data file will not open (Quicken not responding), even restore from backups does not work

I have a file that I have used for a very long time (over a decade). Worked fine the last time I used it (9/23) , but suddenly today, when I open the file, Quicken stops responding and I have to kill it to close the app. I have tried restoring many different backups (I use several methods, including the automatic backup from Quicken and Windows File History). I have 1-2 backups for almost every day back until about 1/1/21. None of my recent backups work anymore. I have to go all the way back to April of this year to get a file that will open. If I have to go that far back, then I will lose at least 3-4 months of history, no way to get all of that back. What that means is I have no idea how I will do things like file my Schedule C taxes this year due to this issue, not to mention all of my budgeting will be useless as I will just to put some kind of a bulk balance adjustment in several of my accounts. I believe it's something wrong with Quicken, not the files, as how could all of the backup files also not work? Support has no answer for me. I think I may just cancel my subscription and move to Mint or something else if I can no longer trust Quicken to not lose my valuable information.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I've already tried all of those solutions. I've even tried this on different machines, same result. The only thing that works is opening a file from 5/19/01, those will open, but it could take me weeks to rebuild all of this data and I won't be able to even download all of those transactions. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long are you waiting for the file to open before you kill it? Is your Quicken file size growing larger and larger while you are waiting for the file to open?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I've waited several hours for it to open. Yes, the file is growing (edit: I did not think it was at first, it is, just slowly).
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2021
    @mshiggins is asking because a runaway scheduled reminder can cause this behavior. See the thread where she describes a potential solution.  Adding- a date prior to the date of the file that opens should be used as a target date for your computer clock.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20106776/#Comment_20106776
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    I’ll give it a shot. 
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    OK so setting the computer date to a previous date did allow me to open the file, but how do I figure out which reminder is bad?
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    Tried using the super validate it did fix six schedule transactions, but when I tried to open the file it was back to the same problem.
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    Ok, I had to open it with the current date, then open it with a date prior to the last working date, then it opened and had thousands of bad reminder transactions. Deleted those plus the reminders. Working! Oh wow, I could kiss you @mshiggins!!!!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Keith Davis glad to hear the solution worked for you!
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list