Persistent file corruption

My sad story about Quicken. I have been using Quicken since 1994, so not a newbie.

As most of you probably realize, Quicken no longer can be run continuously for days at a time. For me, it used to crash once a week. Hence, regular validates, and quarterly super-validates were important. I'm pretty sure there's a memory leak.

Every year on Dec 31 I religiously reconcile all my accounts, and make a year-end copy with the last two years' history, and use that for the next year.

The last crash was bad. It would hardly stay up for a few actions. A super-validate said a scheduled transaction was corrupt. I couldn't see any that was, but I wasn't taking any chances. I deleted all scheduled transactions. Then I did a copy (the one that just copies all transactions, but removes the unique ID for online access to financial institutions). A super-validate showed no errors. Then I re-established all the bank info, re-entered all the scheduled transactions. I was being careful, and after each bunch of actions, I would exit and re-start Quicken.

Unfortunately, eventually Quicken crashed again. This time, a super-validate said the QEL file is corrupt (QEL: The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered). A copy of just the transactions shows no QEL file error with validate and super-validate.

Oh yea, I bought a new computer, upgraded it to the latest Windows 10, downloaded a fresh copy of Quicken and started with a brand new copy (transactions only) of my Quicken database. Good grief! Can I do anything more?

I'm at a cross-roads.

Do I go through the whole process again? Is the copy transaction by transaction still not good enough, i.e., the database has a corruption but Quicken can't tell?

Should I clean out the database first? Remove all the securities that I don't have (25 years of them)? Should I delete stock price history back to 1994? Delete my budgets? Do a year-end copy and start over? Do I give up on history and start a new Quicken file with as much history as the financial institutions will allow me to download? Should I switch to GnuCash or MoneySpire?

Sleepless in Silicon Valley

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is the QEL file maintains online account setup information as well as a history of online payments and downloaded transactions.   My suggestion is to restore a backup saved before Quicken crashed. 

Note: Validate and Repair does not reliably detect and correct all Quicken file corruptions. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive and the full path to the backup folder? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also, are you using Quicken's Sync to Mobile feature?  If so, turn it off and delete your Quicken Cloud dataset. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    What version of Quicken are you using?

Given you are seeing a QEL file it has to be before Quicken 2010.

Oops.  Never mind I see you are talking about validate and repair, which is talking about the internal QEL file in the "compressed QDF data file".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/