CITI payment error - Login problem

Today, we received a message from Quicken that a QuickPay payment had failed 'because the biller login information you provided does not match the information on file at Citi'.

This does not make sense because
a) we have not changed the login info recently, and
b) we have been downloading updates every week, so Quicken is logging into Citi without any problem - and I just did so again, and
c) WHY is a login issue preventing the submission of a payment to an assigned account number??

Any reason this should be a problem all of a sudden?
I'm questioning the reliability of the new QuickPay system, due to this and several other bothersome quirks. For example, last month, we received a notification that our scheduled payment was changed from full balance to only the minimum payment at the last minute, just days before the due date. As usual, in both of these cases we had set up the payments WEEKS prior to the due dates (after receiving the monthly statements) and had previously rested comfortably thinking the formerly-reliable Quicken payment system will take care sending in exactly our defined that payment at the selected date. Having these repeated difficulties just days before the due date raises questions and concerns going forward about the reliability of this system.
Quicken user since 1995 or so

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @wdwyatt

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your bill manager payment. 

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• wdwyatt
    wdwyatt Member ✭✭
    Hello Francisco -
    Thanks for taking a look. You can understand the concern about what happened- we count on Quicken to make the scheduled payments for us that we've set up in advance, in case we're out-of-touch or traveling for a while. Having it simply canceled the day it was scheduled is quite concerning. We happened to look in on this month (10/5) due to the trouble with the previous month (9/5) for this same payee.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @wdwyatt

Thanks for messaging me the additional information needed. I looked over your billers to see if there were any additional details on the issue and it seems the message communicated was the same as the one you received. 

"Your payment was canceled because the answers you provided didn't match the answers you have on file with Citi."

I did double-check the rest of the biller to make sure that everything was updated correctly and everything is in order there. This also looks to be the first time this has happened as well. In this case, I would recommend proceeding as normally for the time being. If the issue does pop up again then we can see what further action we can take.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • wdwyatt
    wdwyatt Member ✭✭
    edited October 7
    Hello @Francisco - thanks for looking into that, but still a concern about what's going on.

Per my item 'C" in my original post - WHY is a login issue preventing the submission of a payment to an assigned account number? Why is login required? Why not just send the payment as done for years?
    We count on Quicken to make the payment - no need to log in for that.
    AND - we never provided the answer to any security questions to Quicken, and never will.

Moreover - If for some reason Quicken is now using CITI's payment-transfer function, why wasn't this issue discovered within hours of the time we SCHEDULED the payment - why wait until the payment date instead of immediately logging in and scheduling the payment there?

There seems to be a failure to think this through when Quicken made the change from how this was reliably handled for years.

=====
    PS - It appears you may be seeing a different error message than I did. The message I'd received via email from Quicken did not mention any answers on file with Citi (I assume for security questions?). The message I received was:
    "Quicken was unable to process your payment because the biller login information you provided does not match the information on file at Citi. Your payment has been canceled. Please go to the Bills & Income tab and correct your Biller login information. "
  • Quicken Francisco
    @wdwyatt

I apologize for the late update. Generally, this will happen for the reason you stated with security questions or it could also be any two-factor authentications if the bank asks for a code to verify. For this reason, I'd recommend letting us know if you experience the issue again as it will let us know if there might be an underlying verification issue.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • wdwyatt
    wdwyatt Member ✭✭
    edited October 10
    I will certainly report this if it re-occurs - and with an issue on-going with this vendor 2 months is a row now, this will most likely be on Nov 5.
    But why wait - there's clearly a change in process at Quicken, and these 2 question remain un-answered:
    - WHY is the logon info or the security question required for making a payment? Why not just send in the payment, and avoid whatever logon or 2-factor issues arise? This does not make sense to require logon to make a payment.
    - Why wasn't the error recognized well before the actual scheduled payment date? Why not find out 3 weeks prior when we initially scheduled it.

These issues with making our payment to this vendor 2 months in a row now has raised concerns about how reliable the new QuickPay process is - at this time, we cannot trust it to make the payments we have scheduled - we are NOT getting what we are paying for. I hope whatever changes were being made will be reviewed, so this will be fixed. Thank you