Trouble with Copy/Paste Transaction that used Check Pay

I've had trouble when copying from a transaction that was made with Check Pay - does any one else do this?

I tried to enter a new transaction by Copy/Paste Transaction from a previous register entry that used Check Pay.

Quicken won’t let me set up the NEW Check-Pay date - it seems to have copied all of the Check-Pay info from original transaction, and behaves as though I'm trying to change something that already posted.
- I tried to change the amount and get an error that says
"This payment must be canceled before you can change it"
- On the status window, the estimated delivery date and 'initiated' date are both in the past, corresponding to the original transaction that I'd copied.
- Status Shows ‘Check number 50 - but there's no such sequence that would fit. The Check No field is blank in register.

Bottom line - Quicken allowed me to Copy/Paste, but then prevented me from making any changes. It appears there's a new, valid Check-Pay entry, but that's not the case.

Related Issue
It would be nice to rough out a transaction, and THEN apply the Check Pay process, but I've found that's not allowed:
"Existing transactions may not be converted to payment transactions. Please enter a new transaction"

Any one else have this issue?
Quicken user since 1995 or so

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @wdwyatt,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a response yet.

For clarification; Is this the first time you have tried this and encountered this behavior, or is this a recent occurrence? Were you able to accomplish copy/paste for Check Pay transactions in the past and successfully made changes?

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • wdwyatt
    wdwyatt Member ✭✭
    Hello @Quicken Anja -
    This was the first time I tried copy/paste with the new Check Pay processing system, and was done in July. I have not deleted the attempted transactions in case they are useful for trouble-shooting. I don't recall if a

I just now tried copy/paste with another Check Pay transaction - I needed to delete the duplicate check number, but then it saved OK, and now this new transaction appears to have Check Pay status info as if it was made in the past.

Not sure this is a valid comparison now that BillPay is gone, but I also just now tried a copy/paste from an older BillPay transaction, and that copied OK into a new transaction without any of the BillPay info from the prior transaction - I needed only to adjust for the duplicate check number warning.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @wdwyatt

Thank you for the update and let us know. It sounds like there may be a failsafe to prevent users from seeing the same payment twice when they copy-paste the transaction as the payment details are attached. In your case what I would recommend is setting up a memorized payee with the details attached so that we're able to get the majority of the transaction sorted then adjust any fine details.

You should be able to do this by going across the top to tools > memorized payee list. Adjust the transaction or make a new one that fits the payee. This should let you have the same quick functionality after the initial setup.

Please let us know if this works for you!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• wdwyatt
    wdwyatt Member ✭✭
    Hello @Quicken Francisco - The point of my original post may have been lost. It seems that Quicken should NOT create a new entry with old CheckPay info attached that was copied from an old entry.

I'm familiar with Memorized Payees, etc - been using quicken for almost 30 years. This particular instance was a payee that I had to pay only once or twice, and there's no need to memorize it. In this case I'd tried to copy the transaction and Quicken erroneously copied bad CheckPay info onto it as well, from a different transaction.

Is it possible to know that this is reported to the programming team? I understand you may be trying to offer helpful hints, but this (and my other recent post) are clearly instances when Quicken is not working as it should.