Why were Ameriprise accounts switched to Simple Tracking Mode?

I just updated to R36.17, Build 27.1.36.17 and did an update. My 4 Ameriprise accounts were switched to Simple Tracking Mode and several bizarre transactions were added that removed the cash balances, and removed an Annuity that I enter manually. Have been using Quicken to track investments for decades and never had anything like this happen before. Any thoughts on why it happened and how to prevent it from reoccurring?

Other accounts (including Fidelity) did not appear to be affected.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @cmarshall52

I am sorry to hear that the update cause that to happen.  It clearly should not have changed the method that you use to track your investments.

Can you tell me the steps that you've taken to try to fix this problem, so far?  Also do you have a recent backup file (likely the one that was created immediately before you moved to the new version 36.17)?  Also, since you've indicated that not all of your investment accounts were changed to "Simple Investing" can you tell me how many of your investment type accounts were affected by this change?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    I switched the tracking back to Complete and removed the bogus transactions and things appear to be back to normal. All of my Ameriprise accounts were affected but no others.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @cmarshall52

Can you check this setting:
    1) go to "Edit" > "Preferences";
    2) in the left hand column > select "Investment transactions";
    3) in the right hand column > is the "Enable Simple Investing (positions only) - checked?
    4) if so, uncheck it > then click "OK"

This will hopefully prevent any other accounts from somehow converting to the simple investing method, without your approval.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    The only options I have on the Investment Transactions Preferences screen are:

List Display, Sort Choice, Show Hidden Transactions, Show Attach Button, and Automatically Update Quotes every 15 minutes.

No checkbox for Simple Investing.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the dropped the option in the preferences to turn this off.  They must have decided that it is no longer experimental and should always be available.

In R36.17:

That reinforces why some people's accounts might have been changed over.  If they forced this option from off to on, and the individual accounts had simple on then they would switch over to that mode.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @cmarshall52

Yes, I now understand that the option to universally enable "Simple Investing" accross fall in investment accounts has now been eliminated in the latest release (R36.17) and as a result a number of user are seeing the problems you are seeing.  You can switch back on an account by account basis but you'll need to clean up some of the entries that the change caused.

Frankx 

This discussion has been closed.