BBVA Compass Bank conversion to PNC

It appears Quicken can't or is not being allowed to communicate with PNC so it can set up online bill pay etc. Any BBVA customers out there having any luck
Tagged:

Comments

• Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    I am having problems as well. Not sure where to start. I tried to follow the 4 page instruction sheets provided by PNC. Confusing as heck.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: PNC Bank uses a 4 character maximum Password
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15
    <Edit:  Corrected connection set up links to use for EWC downloads...the 1st bullet...in italic CAPS.>
    A couple of comments regarding things that BBVA and PNC were less than clear about or failed to communicate accurately in the merger documents they sent us:
    • If all you want to do is download transactions and account balances, then use the PNC - WEB CONNECT PNC - VIRTUAL WALLET set up link and use your PNC online account login information during the setup process.  Note: Credit cards must use THIS LINK PNC - CARD SERVICES ONLINE or the credit card account will not be set up in Quicken.
    • If you want to use Bank Bill Pay you will need to use the PNC - Direct Connect setup link, select Advanced Options and then select Direct Connect.  And you will need to use the Customer ID and PIN that PNC has already sent you or will send you (assuming you had Bank Bill Pay previously set up with BBVA).  Do not enter your SSN...use the Customer ID number.  Note: This will set up DC for checking and savings accounts but not set up credit card accounts.   
    I was successful setting up my checking and savings accounts last night and scheduled a bill to be paid.  But I do need to contact PNC to inquire about why Quicken shows the bill is set up for payment (including downloading the check number into the register) but my PNC online account is not showing any Bill Pay activity.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R36.23 on Windows 10)
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... but my PNC online account is not showing any Bill Pay activity.
    And oddly enough, it won't. For whatever reason, PNC does not show any Quicken bill payment activity on their website. The good news is that I have never experienced any issue with payments sent via Quicken to PNC for payment processing. That includes both ACH and check printed by PNC.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Boatnmaniac
    GeoffG said:
    ... but my PNC online account is not showing any Bill Pay activity.
    And oddly enough, it won't. For whatever reason, PNC does not show any Quicken bill payment activity on their website. The good news is that I have never experienced any issue with payments sent via Quicken to PNC for payment processing. That includes both ACH and check printed by PNC.
    Yes, that is odd, especially considering that PNC's Money Bar tool is supposed to take into account scheduled payments.  I've already confirmed that Money Bar is not capturing that bill pay payment so it makes Money Bar essentially a worthless tool.  Duh!
    Thanks for letting me know this and that you've never experienced any issue with payments sent via Quicken to PNC.  I've rarely experienced bill pay issues with BBVA and the only ones I had were payments made by check.  When the payment didn't show up at the biller as scheduled I was able to go back to BBVA and confirm that the payment had been made confirming that the delay was caused by the USPS and not BBVA.  Now if/when a check payment doesn't show up as scheduled I'll probably need to call PNC or send an email to inquire on the status.  That's just crazy.
  • Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    I am thinking about resetting the vault PW(deleting?), deleting BBVA account, and adding PNC account. Will that work? Not sure if my BBVA account number and login info. will work with this new scheme. Any thoughts? I only have expenses and deposits in the Quicken file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited October 15
    <Edited:  Corrections made below in italic CAPS.>
    @Andy_G - I would not delete the BBVA account.  If you do that you will lose all the historical data in it and if you have any transfer transactions from there to other accounts the category will be replaced with Unspecified Category.  In other words, it would likely make a mess of things for you.
    Also, you should have no need to reset or delete the PW Vault.
    There are two better options to manage this merger:
    KEEP THE BBVA ACCOUNT INTACT BUT SET IT UP FOR DOWNLOAD FROM PNC:  Doing it this way will keep all of your historical and future transactions in a single account.
    1. BBVA Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit account details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove all Financial Information in the upper right quadrant.
    2. If you have more than one BBVA account, repeat step 1 for each one.
    3. After the last BBVA account has been Deactivated and the Financial Information removed:  Select one of your BBVA accounts > upper right Gear icon > Edit account details > Online Services tab > Set up Now.
    4. If you want to just download transactions and account balances:  Select the PNC BANK - WEB CONNECT PNC - VIRTUAL WALLET link and when prompted enter your BBVA UserID and PW.  Quicken will download file(s) from PNC and will give you the opportunity to decide how they are to be managed...be sure to link them to your existing BBVA account(s).
    5. If you want to use Bank Bill Pay (where you send bill pay commands from within Quicken directly to PNC):  You should have received a Customer ID and PIN from PNC in 2 separate mailings (assuming you used BBVA for Bank Bill Pay).  Select the PNC Bank - Direct Connect link and when prompted enter that Customer ID (not your SSN) and PIN.  Quicken will download file(s) from PNC and will give you the opportunity to decide how they are to be managed...be sure to link them to your existing BBVA account(s).
    6. When completed, PNC should be set up to download into the accounts in Quicken that used to be set up for BBVA.
    KEEP THE BBVA ACCOUNT INTACT BUT SET UP A NEW ACCOUNT FOR PNC: When done you will have both BBVA and PNC accounts in Quicken.
    1. BBVA Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit account details > Online Services tab > Deactivate.  (There is no need to remove the Financial Institution information from the General tab.)
    2. Repeat step 1 for each additional BBVA account that you have.
    3. Create/setup your PNC account(s):  Add Account > follow step 4 or step 5 (in the previous section above).  When prompted, allow Quicken to set up a new account(s) in Quicken.  <UPDATE:  It is suggested that a Transfer transaction be entered into the BBVA account(s) to transfer the ending account balance(s) to the new PNC account(s).  The Payee of this transaction could be "Opening Balance - PNC checking" or something like that.  When completed the BBVA account(s) balance(s) will be $0.00.  If PNC downloads an Opening Balance transaction it should then be deleted to prevent the Opening Balance from being double counted.>
    4. Compare your BBVA account(s) balance(s) as of 10/12/2021 to the opening PNC account(s) balance(s).  They should be the same.  If they are not, you will need to do some troubleshooting to identify which transaction(s) might be causing the problem.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Andy_G
    Andy_G Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the valuable info. I will attempt this with my niece on Saturday. I need a supervisor.
  • EMacUSCom
    EMacUSCom Member ✭✭
    I was able to connect to PNC with the PIN they sent me. However, every time I connect, it does not download anything. I get no errors or anything else. Just no transactions to download. anybody else having this problem?
  • EMacUSCom
    EMacUSCom Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac , thanks for the info about opening new accounts and keeping separate accounts in Quicken. I created a new checking account, connected it to PNC; recorded a Transfer transaction from the BBVA account to the PNC account to bring an initial balance in PNC and 0 in BBVA.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited October 14
    EMacUSCom said:
    @Boatnmaniac , thanks for the info about opening new accounts and keeping separate accounts in Quicken. I created a new checking account, connected it to PNC; recorded a Transfer transaction from the BBVA account to the PNC account to bring an initial balance in PNC and 0 in BBVA.
    You are welcome.  I see I had forgotten to mention that bit about recording a Transfer transaction(s) to transfer the BBVA account(s)s balances to the new PNC account(s).  That is what I did, too.  Thanks for mentioning it.
    EMacUSCom said:
    I was able to connect to PNC with the PIN they sent me. However, every time I connect, it does not download anything. I get no errors or anything else. Just no transactions to download. anybody else having this problem?
    Does your online account show the transactions as being posted or are they shown as "Pending" or are they not shown there?
    When I first connected PNC on 10/12 to the new manual PNC accounts I'd previously set up there were not any  transactions downloaded as well.  I had expected to see at least Opening Balance transactions entered or at least asking me to confirm transactions matches but that did not happen.  Instead the Transfer transactions (from BBVA to PNC) were automatically changed from Uncleared to Reconciled and the Online Balance matched the Register Balance.  I was not expecting to see it happen this way.
    Again on 10/13 there were no new transactions downloaded although I had expected 2 of them...but the Online Balance did fully account for those 2 missing transactions.  I went online and 1 of the 2 missing transactions showed up there as having posted so I was wondering why it did not download.  The other missing transaction did not show up there at all.
    Today the posted transaction did download.  The other missing transaction did not but it does now show up in my online account as "Pending".
    I'm thinking these delays in downloads are probably caused by the merger process.  It could also be that PNC downloads data similar to how BBVA did it: Transactions downloaded are from the end of the prior day instead of being a real time download.  I'll be keeping an eye on it so I can at least set my expectations appropriately.
  • EMacUSCom
    EMacUSCom Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac , My transactions in PNC are posted; there are also a couple of Pending transactions. but nothing downloads. I'm sure they have tons of things to correct and finish updating. For example, my debit card still does not show in my account (I activated it over the phone and I am already using it).
  • RTDecko
    RTDecko Member
    As of this morning, 10/15/21, I am still unable to setup the PNC Web Connect through Quicken. I get the CC-502 error every time. I have attempted to contact PNC Web Connect support yesterday and this morning with no success. The call eventually transfers but rings continuously with no answer.
  • Boatnmaniac
    RTDecko said:
    As of this morning, 10/15/21, I am still unable to setup the PNC Web Connect through Quicken. I get the CC-502 error every time. I have attempted to contact PNC Web Connect support yesterday and this morning with no success. The call eventually transfers but rings continuously with no answer.
    There was some incorrect information previously posted above about which links to use for setting up PNC accounts in Quicken.  Mea culpa.  I'd relied on info provided by someone else without first testing it out to confirm it.  The earlier posts have now been corrected.
    The PNC - Web Connect link appears to only be for use with the Web Connect (WC) connection (manual downloads and imports of transactions in QFX format).  I set up a test file for this and it worked well.  It will return a CC-502 error code if you try to use it to set up with the Express Web Connect (EWC) connection.
    If you are wanting to simply download transactions and accounts information with EWC, then use the PNC - Virtual Wallet link.  I did test that out and it set up and downloaded my checking and savings accounts correctly.
    As someone else noted, if you are trying to set up and download a credit card account you need to use the PNC Card Services Online link.  I have not been able to test this one out since I do not have a PNC credit card.
    Let me know if this helped resolve the your connection issue.
  • RTDecko
    RTDecko Member
    Boatnmaniac, Thank you for the clarification. I will attempt a download using this recipe. Should I take this to mean that direct downloads into Quicken using EWC are not an option for former BBVA customers?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15
    For CC yes, only EWC. For checking and savings, PNC uses Direct Connect regardless of former BBVA customers.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Boatnmaniac
    GeoffG said:
    For CC yes, only EWC. For checking and savings, PNC uses Direct Connect regardless of former BBVA customers.
    Point of clarification:  PNC also offers EWC for checking and savings via the PNC - Virtual Wallet link which uses the same login info that is used when logging into the online PNC account.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited October 15
    EMacUSCom said:
    @Boatnmaniac , My transactions in PNC are posted; there are also a couple of Pending transactions. but nothing downloads. I'm sure they have tons of things to correct and finish updating. For example, my debit card still does not show in my account (I activated it over the phone and I am already using it).
    Have you gotten any transactions to download, yet?
    For me DC is not working well at all:  My checking account is messed up but the savings account seems to be OK.

1)  Regarding that transaction that I said had downloaded yesterday...I was mistaken about that (was looking at the wrong account in Quicken).  PNC downloaded nothing yesterday but the online balance in the account register was correct.

2)  After running OSU today:
    • The Online Balance in the account register was correct from 10/12-10/14 but today it changed to $0.00.
    • I now have 5 posted transactions in my online account over the last 3 days but none of them have downloaded.
    • No error codes received.
    • OSU Summary shows the accounts were updated today.
    • Resetting the account did not fix anything.
    • Deactivating/reactivating the account did not fix anything.
    • Refreshing the FI Branding and Profile did not fix anything.
    3)  I created a new TEST file and tried setting up with PNC - Direct Connect in it:
    • It incorrectly entered $0.00 for my opening balance.
    • It incorrectly shows an online balance in the account register of $0.00.
    • It DID download 1 of the 5 posted transactions...but not the other 4.
    I tried calling PNC earlier today but got put on hold for a very long time so I hung up.  Will try again soon.
  • Doug Henning
    Doug Henning Member ✭✭
    My DC Checking also shows 0 balance and no transactions this week have downloaded.. I purposely rescheduled stuff to pay early before BBVA conversion... I switched my payroll for now to another bank but that's not great either... I like what I see that PNC offers but working correctly with Quicken is #1 and so far no good.
  • Boatnmaniac
    RTDecko said:
    Boatnmaniac, Thank you for the clarification. I will attempt a download using this recipe. Should I take this to mean that direct downloads into Quicken using EWC are not an option for former BBVA customers?
    No, EWC is available for downloads into Quicken.  I (a former BBVA customer) was able to set up downloads for checking and savings accounts via EWC in a TEST file and it work very well.  Just make sure to use the PNC - Virtual Wallet setup link and use the same login info that you use for logging into your online PNC account.
  • EMacUSCom
    EMacUSCom Member ✭✭
    edited October 15
    Doug Henning & @Boatnmaniac, No transactions for me yet. Quicken reports 0 balance on my three checkbooks. I called PNC @ 800-762-2035 and the only think they said was that they are still working on the problem.
  • Doug Henning
    Doug Henning Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > No, EWC is available for downloads into Quicken.  I (a former BBVA customer) was able to set up downloads for checking and savings accounts via EWC in a TEST file and it work very well.  Just make sure to use the PNC - Virtual Wallet setup link and use the same login info that you use for logging into your online PNC account.

I thought I tried that method early on but really not a solution because not sure that method supports online payments on PNC... a work in progress..
  • Boatnmaniac
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > No, EWC is available for downloads into Quicken.  I (a former BBVA customer) was able to set up downloads for checking and savings accounts via EWC in a TEST file and it work very well.  Just make sure to use the PNC - Virtual Wallet setup link and use the same login info that you use for logging into your online PNC account.

I thought I tried that method early on but really not a solution because not sure that method supports online payments on PNC... a work in progress..
    PNC - Virtual Wallet is EWC only and does not support Bank Bill Pay.  It is a 1-way communication for downloading data from the financial institution into Quicken. 
    For Bank Bill Pay there needs to be 2-way communications (downloading and uploading) and Direct Connect (DC) is the connection method required for that.  If you want Bank Bill Pay you need to set up via the PNC Bank - Direct Connect link.
    Note that DC is not working properly with PNC at this time...at least not with checking accounts.  Transactions are not downloading and online balances are not accurate.
  • Jejagua
    Jejagua Member
    Thanks for the posts here! Hours of frustration and several calls to PNC on this. I got these two letters (one w/ pin and one w/ Customer ID instructions and an vague/inaccurate Quicken FAQ provided by PNC (BBVA-Quicken-Conversion-Guide.pdf) which instructs you to just type PNC and hit next which defaults to PNC Bank - Web Connect. After acct lockouts I spoke to support, got it connected via PNC Bank - Direct Connect but was d/ling no transactions and showing a zero balance. PNC support pointed me in several wrong directions, eventually trying to dump me off to contact Quicken Support. I don't use bill pay. Once I connected via PNC - Virtual Wallet using the website credentials it's working fine though I have transactions, some 7 days old still pending.
  • EMacUSCom
    EMacUSCom Member ✭✭
    Update from Saturday 10/16: Still no transactions into Quicken.

Yesterday I did a little experiment: I have three checking accounts in PNC and the three of them configured as PNC - Direct Connect; yesterday I made two online transfers from within Quicken from one account to the other two. This morning the transfers show in PNC as posted. I will keep waiting and will not make changes in my configuration. at least I know they are configured correctly. Have a good weekend.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited October 16
    Still no transactions and checking account online balance still shows as $0.00.
    I just did the same test as @EMacUSCom :  Did an of online transfer between checking and savings from within Quicken .  Quicken shows was sent but it does not show up in the online accounts.  I will need to wait to see if it transfers overnight.
    As mentioned earlier, I did set up a bill pay transaction from within Quicken and Quicken shows it was sent and PNC did download the check number.  I will monitor closely.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Those of you who are wanting to get set up with DC so you can pay bills might want to consider doing what I have done:
    In my primary data file I changed the checking account from DC to EWC...I left my savings account set up with DC since DC seems to be working OK for that. 
    By making this change all of the missing transactions downloaded and the correct online balance is now showing in the account register.
    This is not ideal but at least my checking account in Quicken is now accurate and reconciled.  I will switch back to DC when PNC fixes the issue.  In the meantime, when I need to use bill pay I will log into my PNC account and set it up there.
    If you want to do this: 
    • Go to the Online Services tab of Account Details and Deactivate it. 
    • Then go to the General tab and remove all Financial Institution information in the upper right quadrant.  (If you don't do this then when you try to set up the account it will default you to the PNC - Direct Connect link.)
    • Then go back to the Online Services tab and click on Set Up Now, select the PNC - Virtual Wallet link and follow the prompts.
    I still have my checking account set up with DC in a TEST file so I will continue to monitor it and, if necessary, troubleshoot it there.
  • WileEMan
    WileEMan Member
    Having the exact same issue as others. Got the ID and PIN from PNC, setup Direct Connect and it connects with no errors, but does not download any transactions and the Online Balance shows $0.00. Very frustrating when you call PNC and get someone (after 8 calls and many many long and multiple rings and hang ups) and they go to ask question to someone else and drop the call.
  • WileEMan
    WileEMan Member
    Set up web connect to virtual wallet, linked it to my BBVA account, and all transactions downloaded - Screwed up the total because it deleted some entries that were already reconciled (some random date in the past that I could not find). Restored the backup and did what was recommended above. Disabled the BBVA account, set up the new PNC as a new account with web connect (not linked to the BBVA), and performed an update. This allowed all the transactions to download properly from PNC and the opening balance matched the final balance in BBVA. I then when into the PNC account and changed the opening balance category to Transfer from my BBVA and it zeroed out the BBVA account. I also created a completely separate file with just the PNC Direct Connect account and it updated with no errors, but still shows a zero balance and no transactions downloaded. Will keep an eye on this file and see if it gets fixed.
  • myester
    myester Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with Direct Connect although the credit card transactions are downloading and on Saturday one of two savings accounts downloaded. Nothing yet on the four checking accounts. Calling PNC Quicken support has been useless. Quicken Support pointed me to the CONNLOG.TXT file with this line "We’re sorry, but the application could not find an item on the server that it needs. Try again now, or wait and try later". I'm not sure what exactly that means.