Incoming transfer Reminders don't match

I have 3 credit card bills that are auto-paid on their own web sites. Two of the credit cards are from Amex, one from Citicorp. I have them set up as Transfer reminders just so I know they are coming. So each nets out the payment in a credit card account with the corresponding transfer coming from my bank checking account.

Frequently when they come in, the Citi one is not recognized. The transaction downloads with a payee of "Automatic Payment - Thank", which is how I have the transfer reminder set up (I did it by right-clicking on the transaction when it came down). I have a memo field entry in the reminder, "Citi credit card payment" so I recognize it in my reminders. Is there something different I should do to get this one to match, as it never does?

My 2 Amex cards both come down as "Amex Epayment Act Pmt", both transferring from a different credit card account with my bank account. Both have a memo entry in the reminder similar to the City one Yet it always picks the wrong reminder to match to. Is there something I could do here to get these to match properly?

Thanks!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I'm exactly following along with what you're describing here, but I assume these Reminders post into your registers a few days before that actual payment is scheduled? 
    If they are, do you adjust the dates to the actual payment date?  (Some credit cards have "moving" due dates, and if a payment date falls on a Saturday or Sunday I assume the credit card company uses the previous Friday for the actual pay date.)  And, do you adjust the dollar amounts to the actual payment required?
    I'm kind of guessing that some sort of mismatches are what's throwing Quicken off, resulting in a "New" as opposed to a "Match."
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Tom Young for the reply. Here is exactly what I do to set it up and then when a bill goes down:

Set up:
    1. Find a downloaded transaction in my credit card account that's an auto pay of my monthly balance. 
    2. Right click on it, "Add reminder"
    3. Leave everything as is, except change remind to 1 day, change estimate to last 3 months, and add a Memo entry to reflect the name "Amex credit card" or something since they are usually a payee of "Automatic Payment - Thank" or something similar
    4. Verify it's set for the 10th of every month for example, the day the transaction downloads. I just take what it defaults to.
    5. Hit Done - it adds it to my Bills, Income and Transfers page.

Now when one comes in, as I said it either doesn't figure it out or in the case of my one case, it confuses the two credit cards from the same issuer - even though they are in different Quicken Accounts (ie, Amex Blue Card, Amex Gold card).

This is pretty much exactly what I do for Bill Reminders (things like charitable donations, or TV/streaming bills, subscriptions, water bill, etc.) I have set up to deduct from my checking account as an expense) and they work great.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15
    Even though you've set up the automatic withdrawal of the payments directly with the credit card companies I think I'd originate the payment in the checking Account because that's the side of the transfer transaction that typically comes up first in the process of downloading.  (I'm assuming that having the credit card company "pull" the cash from your checking account doesn't affect that, i.e., the payment shows up first as a withdrawal in the checking Account and then the next day, after processing, the payment shows up in the credit card Account.) 
    I think this has more of a chance of "perfecting" how the payment shows up in the credit card Account, allowing for a match.  If the payment due date for the credit card "moves around" a bit - I know my Citi cards do that - then matching in the bank Account 1st would set the "withdrawal" date before the "payment" date in the credit card Account and set the dollar amount to the the actual amount, not an estimate.  That should work correctly for matching on the credit card side of the house.
    You've followed this pattern for setting up "expenses" where everything works properly. 
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Tom Young, I'll try that!
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15
    Actually @Tom Young, as I look at this, I highly doubt it will work - which I why I set the reminder up in the credit card accounts. Why? The first thing I saw as I set up the reminder of one of 4 credit card accounts in my checking account - 2 of the accounts have payee "Automatic Payment - Thank", and 2 have "Amex Epayment Act Pmt". So when I set it to estimate the payment based on say, the last 3 payments, it's wrong - it grabs any payment with the same Payee. I tried changing the name to something credit card specific, but that won't be what the next download uses - unless there is a way to somehow change what the download Payee looks like? In case, I did set them up - maybe the fact each references a different credit card account will make it work, and then I just won't have any valid estimate of the payment amount from previous payments.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if the problem lies in that you have the credit card set up to estimate your past 3 months?  Why not have it set up for the Current Balance?

Why might this be a problem?  Because when you download and try to have it match the already entered transaction, the amounts are different and Quicken thinks its a different transaction completely.

I do things almost like you do.  I have the credit card payment entered automatically into the register a few days before its due.  I have Citi do and automatic withdrawal.  But I have Quicken enter the payment and the amount into the register when I get the monthly statement...which is usually about 25 days before the payment actually gets withdrawn.

Because the transaction is already entered and the amounts are identical, the Automatic Payment - Thank You matches to my entry of Citi Cards every time.  
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @garysmith87, do you add these as an Online Bill, Manual Bill, or Transfer Reminder (Bills & Income screen, the '+' sign in top right corner)? I tried adding Online bills just now, and even though the two cards are due to be paid the 17th and 23rd, it says, "The next due amount is not yet available" - which it is. This is why I stopped using Online Bills probably about a year ago. Am I doing something wrong?