Separate Sign-In Emails?

I have a sub to Quicken Deluxe registered via my main email address. My wife and I have separate Quicken files, but each of these files requires sign-in using my email address. Unfortunately this means that when either she or I perform a Quicken One-Step update and our bank asks for a verification number, that request only seems to go through my mobile phone, regardless of which user is doing the update. In other words, she cannot perform the update without having my phone nearby. Hope this isn't already too confusing, but ...

I have tried modifying the bank's notification methods (email, home phone, mobile phone, etc.) for each user, but Quicken verification still insists on sending the test to my phone. Not sure what to do about this.

I am therefore wondering if I can set up separate Quicken email sign-in identities for each of us within my existing Quicken sub. Of course any other ideas are always welcome.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would need a separate Quicken subscription for your wife.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • kerrydeare
    kerrydeare Member
    Looks like that's it. Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You would need a separate Quicken subscription for your wife.

This doesn't seem right to me.

What email address/subscription Quicken is using doesn't determine where the financial institution is going to send the account log in verification.  What determines that is what login is being used to access the financial institution.

@kerrydeare
    Do you and your wife have different logins for the accounts in questions?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note if when logging into your financial institution they give you multiple choices on where to send the verification, but when you run One Step Update you are only getting one choice, that could certainly be the problem, but using a different Quicken Id/email address/subscription isn't going to change that behavior.
    Signature:
  • kerrydeare
    kerrydeare Member
    Each of us has a separate set of credentials at the bank in question. Each of us also has a separate set of contact addresses, phone numbers (several), email addresses, etc. However as I understand the situation, that makes no difference because we as individuals users are NOT the entities asking for verification. It's actually the Quicken software making that request, and that software is using only a single credential set: MY email and MY password.

I spoke with Quicken support and they pretty much agreed with this. I have yet to speak with the software people at the bank, but I very much suspect that's what will be the result.

I would like to hear from other Quicken users with a situation like this. It cannot be all that uncommon because there are probably many households with similar arrangements.

Meanwhile thanks for the input and food for thought.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is from another person that has Bank of America accounts.  Note I'm only relating what he said.  I don't have any accounts that need verification because they are all Direct Connect, which has its own security model that doesn't use this system.

The original poster says: "I would like to hear from other Quicken users with a situation like this".

I think my experience with Bank of America suggests that the original poster was given some incorrect advice.

I have 2 accounts at Bank of America with my own logon credentials - and BofA has my cell phone number assigned to my 2 accounts.

My girlfriend has one account at Bank of American with her own, separate, logon credentials - and BofA has her cell phone number assigned to her one account.

Quicken does not have any phone number for me (or my girlfriend) - so it's certain that Quicken is not the one offering the choice of phones on which to receive logon verification codes.

[The necessity for additional verification (often referred to as 2FA) when Quicken downloads, only pertains to Express Web Connect downloads.]

In my test Quicken file where all BofA accounts are using the Express Web Connect Connection Method:

- When I initiate an Update Now for my BofA accounts, I am only offered MY cell phone number on which to receive the "authorization code"

- When I initiate an Update Now for my girlfriend's BofA account, I am only offered my girlfriend's cell phone number on which to receive the "authorization code"

- When I do a One Step Update with both my accounts and my girlfriend's account selected; I get 2 requests for an "authorization code": one request offers my cell phone number, the other request offers her cell phone number.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Besides what he said I'm going to add this.

Other than allowing requests to come from Quicken Inc/Intuit, Quicken Inc/Inuit aren't a "trusted source/second authorization".

The whole point of two factor authentication is to prove you are you in two different ways.

The first way is what you know, as in your username and password.
    The second way is to prove that you have control on a give account/device.  Another words if you can get a verification code that is only sent to either say an email address that they know you have or a phone.

If Quicken Inc/Intuit is providing the phone number then right away there is an "untrusted source" in the middle of the conversion that is suppose to prove that you are who you say you are.  Not a good security model.

This can easily be proved, go to your Quicken.com account and change the phone number there, and retest.  I'm sure it isn't going to make any difference.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17
    All, I just saw this.  This all depends on the bank on how many phone numbers they let you have on your account for alerts.  I am a BofA user with multiple accounts, all EWC connection with three text-enabled phone numbers registered.  When BofA need to send me a code (within Quicken), all three numbers are displayed for me to make a selection.  See screenshot.  This setup is on the BofA side under profile> contact info> phone.  It does not matter whose bank account it is as long as the phone numbers are registered & verified to receive text notifications on the account.

@kerrydeare ,  There is another different option:
    Create a Google Voice account which both, you and your wife have the login access to it.  And register that number with your bank accounts.  When your bank/Quicken sends a code to that GV number, either of you can retrieve it by logging into your GV account.  Alternatively/easier, you can
    (a) setup GV to forward texts to one of your cells, AND/OR
    (b) setup GV to forward texts to email and then setup Gmail's email forwarding to BOTH of your regular email accounts.
    This (b) option results in both of you receiving the supplied code to both of your regular emails - hence no need to login to GV/Gmail.
    [Side note: using GV is a more secure method than a cell phone if you research it because GV is not vulnerable to SIM swap weakness]

- Techie; US Subs QWin Deluxe user since 2010
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr
    QWin R36.45 on Win11 Pro

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a subscription to Quicken Deluxe registered via my main email address.
    What bank....

For each account at the bank -
    are they setup using the same SSN for 1099 reporting ?
    are they setup with a Primary User and "another" user that has access ?
    Quicken --> bank ID/password --> bank account --> bank account Primary user profile

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10