Still no memorized payees on Mac??

dennislvetter
dennislvetter Member
I've been a Quicken (PC) user for 27 years and I recently moved to a Mac. I can't believe they did not implement memorized payees on the Mac version ... it's such a fundamental productivity tool. I haven't been able to figure out how to work around the lack of that feature ... does anyone have a reasonable solution?

Answers

• Hello @dennislvetter

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having difficulties and for the confusion. Just to clarify, Quicken for Mac does have the capability of memorizing payees but it works differently than in Quicken for Windows. 

To add a payee to your list select Window >Payees & Rules. On the pop up menu select the "plus sign" on the bottom left corner. A visual example is below.

If you would like to associate a category or tag with the payee simply select the QuickFill Rules tab and fill out the information. A visual example is below. 

Hope this helps. Please let us know of any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • Thanks for your response. I understand all of that but it doesn't really work very well. When I start typing in a payee in a register it brings up a lot of payees that are NOT in the quickfill rules tab instead of ONLY those in the quickfill rules tab. Is there a setting to get around this?
  • ... in fact, QuickFill brings up payees that are NOT in my payees tab either! Ancient history that I do not want to wade through each time I enter a transaction to be sure I got the one I want (i.e. like memorized payees works on a PC).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Mac present a list of possible using whatever data it has. The first choices in the list will always be your QuickFill rules (what you're calling Memorized transactions). Below that will be other Payees which start with the same letters you've typed, and below that will be other Payees which contain the letter you've typed. It's this pretty easy to find a desired Payee, even if you don't know exactly how you entered the name. But I find that if you use QuickFill rules for your regular Payees, I rarely need to look down at the lower portions of the list, as the Payee I want to select is almost always the top choice or one of the top choices. If you find the other choices in the list extraneous, simply ignore the lower portions of the list; they don't get in my way and I barely notice they're there. I find the combination of QuickFill Rules payees followed by Payees matching what I've typed works very well. I have nearly 5,000 Payees from many, many years of using Quicken, but I find I rarely see the names of old Payees I don't want; in a few cases where I'd keep seeing a Payee I no longer use, I've edited the Payee name to drop it down the list and out of my sight (e.g. change "Radio Shack" to "zRadio Shack").

One thing to understand about Quicken Mac is that every single transaction is a "memorized" transaction. That is, any time you enter a Payee, then next time you enter the same characters in the Payee field, Quicken will find and suggest that previous transaction. There isn't a separate table of memorized transactions, which is the way the old Quicken 2007 for Mac worked, and perhaps how Quicken Windows works. QuickFill rules give you control over what Quicken will or won't auto-fill when you enter a Payee, and you can lock a rule so it isn't changed the next time you enter a transaction for that Payee. Again, I find this functionality works quite well. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not quite experiencing the same thing. For instance, I have a payee called "amazon.ca buy" and a quickfill rule by the same name. When I go to the register to type in the payee I get TWO "amazon.ca buy" payees which show up at the top of the list. Where does the second "amazon.ca buy" payee even come from?
  • Further, I tried your tip to edit the payee name to "zamazon.ca buy" and it changed BOTH of the payees ... even though they are different transactions in content (I verified this).
  • Arrrgh! Plus, when I changed the name of the payee to have a prefix of "z" it changed all of the transactions in my register to prefix them with a "z". Frustrating! Why the hell did Quicken change such a well designed feature they have on their PC version?!?!?!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Why the hell did Quicken change such a well designed feature they have on their PC version?!?!?!
    History.  When they decided to rewrite Quicken Mac back in 2007 because the current code wasn't supportable and people wanted a "Mac" application not a "port of Windows" they started from scratch, and made the design choices they thought were right at the time.  The resulting version was called Quicken Mac Essentials.

One design choice they made is that they have a list of payees, and that the payees in the transactions are all linked to that list.  This is the same way that categories are done.  If you rename a category, all the transactions that use that category will now have the new name.

So the same applies to Quicken Mac with the payee.  Personally I think that was a mistake, but once done there isn't really a good way to change.

That is the fallacy of people calling for a program to be rewritten to fix it.  Programs like Quicken take a lot of people over a lot of time to write, and there will always be things that turn out to be wrong in retrospect and some will be hard to change because they are so fundamental to the program.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    I understand you're frustrated that it doesn't work exactly like Quicken Windows. I think once you learn how Quicken Mac works, you may find it isn't as poorly-designed as you're thinking it is.

In Quicken Mac every Payee exists only once in the database. This is actually a good thing. If you edit the name of a Payee in one place, it gives you the option of renaming it everywhere or creating a new Payee just for that instance: For example, here, I've typed a change in a Payee named "American Express/Hilton" to "Amex/Hilton":

The blue box above the Payee field has a checkbox to rename all instances of the original Payee name, and below the Payee field is an option to create a new Payee name just for this transaction. So if you know what to look for, you have complete control over whether to change one transaction or change a Payee globally. (For the Payee you renamed with a "z" prefix, you can do the same thing to remove the "z" prefix.) 

Going back to your first question above -- why do I see the Payee name twice -- this is also by design. If you have any QuickFill rule(s) for a Payee, you will see it/them lists, as well as a "naked" Payee without the QuickFill rule. This gives you control over whether you want to apply the QuickFull rules to auto-fill the new transaction, or simply select the Payee name without applying the QuickFill rule.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    In Quicken Mac every Payee exists only once in the database. This is actually a good thing. If you edit the name of a Payee in one place, it gives you the option of renaming it everywhere or creating a new Payee just for that instance: 
    Nice, I didn't know that Quicken Mac had that.  That turns what might have been a bad design decision into a good feature.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dennislvetter
    dennislvetter Member
    edited October 2021
    I don't see it as a benefit / good feature at all ... It's a pain in the [removed - profanity] in my opinion. With memorized payees on the PC you didn't have to wade through a bunch of options to get to the one you want. As much as I like the PC version of Quicken, I've often been disappointed at the way they change things which worked just fine ... and I certainly don't like the way this works on my Mac.
  • First of all, thanks to all of you for responding!

My next related question is: "It would be rather nice if the quickfill rules showed up at the TOP of the list of options when entering a payee (instead of having to scroll down the list of irrelevant payees). Is there any way to do this? It seems like it should be relatively easy for the software folks to do."
  • jacobs
    I'm still not sure why you're describing that you are having to "wade though" Payees? After you type enough characters of your Payee name, you should find the Payee you want at the top or very near the top of the drop-down list. Once you understand that there is one item for a Payee without a QuickFill rule, followed by one or more listings for the same Payee if there are one or more QuickFill rules, I find it becomes very easy to select the Payee and, optionally, the QuickFill rule I want applied.

We all may find certain parts of a user interface better or worse than other Quicken users, but I find this particular issue to be pretty helpful and user-friendly, showing me the most-likely option at the top and other options further down the list. If you stop wanting it to be exactly like Quicken Windows and get to understand what is showing up in the list any why, I suspect you'll find you can get to what you want quickly and easily. 
  • "We all may find certain parts of a user interface better or worse than other Quicken users" ... agreed. I get 6 payees when I type amazon ... 4 of which I don't even know what they contain (some historical transaction from the past no doubt). Perhaps things got screwy when I imported my data from the PC. I certainly don't find this helpful or user-friendly myself. I mean it works but it's just an extra step for every transaction I enter. Oh well, "it is what it is"