Bad Data Block

My file has a Bad data Block and i can't seem to find a back up that doesn't have this problem. I have tried validating, super validating and even tried copy a file but nothing seems to help. My biggest problem at the moment seems to be my Budget keeps disappearing but I have crashes here and there. Is there a way for me to transfer just the past 2 years of transactions to new file and then I can update through banks. Any help would be great. I am still using file but I am fearful none will work soon.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We may specify a date range when we copy a Quicken file: select File > Copy or Backup file... and choose Create a copy or template
  • yes I tried that it won't make a copy
  • it always says file not copied
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    it always says file not copied

Before the programmers changed the File / Copy process there used to be a special Copy process which was said to be able to bypass a damaged section of file. My documentation of this process was:
    • If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
     I hope this special code still is available. Try it and see if you can create a copy without the bad data.

• it is still availbale but still says file not copied. It is so frustrating
  • It copies bu nothing is transferred over,,,,,,its biazarre
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    it always says file not copied

Before the programmers changed the File / Copy process there used to be a special Copy process which was said to be able to bypass a damaged section of file.
    I have never heard this to be true.  What was stated is that the copy process would skip records that are marked deleted.   For performance reasons when you "delete" a record in a database it is more efficient to just mark it "deleted", so that if later you need a new record you can just reuse this record instead of creating a new one which takes more time.

A "bad block" isn't a deleted record, it is a record (or records) that are corrupted in some way that Quicken doesn't know what they are.  As such depending on where they are Quicken might in fact stop processing the copy when it hits them because it can't recover from that problem.

At this point it seems to me that only a good backup can be used, or maybe trying to recreate the data file using a process like this:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    UKR said:
    Before the programmers changed the File / Copy process there used to be a special Copy process which was said to be able to bypass a damaged section of file.
    I have never heard this to be true.  What was stated is that the copy process would skip records that are marked deleted. 
    No, @UKR is right. If you hold Ctrl+Shift while clicking Next in the Copy dialog, Quicken will offer to power through the copy despite data errors. This facility is still there in R36.23.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm mistaken, but for whatever reason I guess it isn't working in this case.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/