Quicken wont start -

JimE
JimE Member ✭✭
I have been on the phone to Quicken Support 3 times and twice to Microsoft. Much was done to no avail. Question: Is this a Quicken problem or a Microsoft problem?

Best Answer

• JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ok a final update.I did all of the above and got it up with 90% of a register of my accurate data before it crashed. Called support. He disabled my firewall and tried to run mondo (which I have done 5 times). The system slowed to an unacceptable level. I finally rebooted and got the message to turn the firewall back on and Quicken came up fine with no errors and I can’t find anything wrong with it. Who’d athunk. Something above helped fix the problem. I’m happy. Thank you. I’ll close this out.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What is the problem you are referring to?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the exact same problem!
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess you posted a NEW topic
    vs Replying to an existing topic 
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    Sorry thought I was on a problem. My problem is “Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run”. It Crashed when I tried to log on as a different user. Won’t run in my desktop but does on my slow laptop.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive and the full path to the backup folder? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    1. C:/users/joanne/documents/backup/(my data file)
    2. same
    3. Yes to Controlled Folder Access
    4. Yes to OneDrive
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You need to allow the Quicken executable in Controlled Folder Access and move your Quicken data file out of a OneDrive folder.
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    Must have misled you. OneDrive is in the directory but Quicken does not use it. And I use Controlled file access
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    JimE said:
    1. C:/users/joanne/documents/backup/(my data file)
    2. same
    3. Yes to Controlled Folder Access
    4. Yes to OneDrive
    usually the Quicken QDF data file is in -->  /Documents/Quicken/
    and the sub-dir for backups is under that --> /Documents/Quicken/Backup/
    not in the same exact location....
    [EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect the Q&A

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    Ok I did that. Same crash
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    I went through this. I added the folder and QW.exe. Same crash
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    I appreciate the help and will try anything. Here is my current status. I have installed Quicken on my wife's laptop. It runs (slowly) but it is now updated and running fine. I just backed up the data file on the laptop and backed it up to a flash drive. I inserted that flash drive into the desktop and brought up Quicken. Major progress but I still crash. But before crashing it attempts to bring up the new file. It happens fast but I see the Quicken Home... line, the next one of File and Help, then the icons which go away quickly, and the the Account List on the left with current data, then the crash. It happens very fast. But this clearly is farther that I have gotten in a week. Thanks for the help. I will play some more and then call Quicken support.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would try doing the QCleanUI procedure (the second part that removes the folders) and try installing Quicken again.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And for what it is worth, the Controlled Folders option shouldn't cause Quicken to crash.
    That function allows files to read the files in the controlled folders, but doesn't allow them to write to them unless they are on the list of files that can do that.

I don't have Quicken on my controlled folders list because I don't normally keep my Quicken data file in my Documents folder because it is synced to OneDrive.  I did get this notification, but I could still use Quicken (it just isn't going to be able to save the data file).

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What version of Windows are you using?
  • JimE
    JimE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ok a final update.I did all of the above and got it up with 90% of a register of my accurate data before it crashed. Called support. He disabled my firewall and tried to run mondo (which I have done 5 times). The system slowed to an unacceptable level. I finally rebooted and got the message to turn the firewall back on and Quicken came up fine with no errors and I can’t find anything wrong with it. Who’d athunk. Something above helped fix the problem. I’m happy. Thank you. I’ll close this out.