A way to "link" related transactions

On the add attachments window, it would be nice to add links to other transactions. For example, a medical bill may have these transactions: (1) An office visit co-pay, (2) a payment of the balance after the EOB and bill is delivered, (3) a reimbursement from an HSA. Currently, the only way I know to handle this is to add a unique memo for the set of transactions (like the claim number but this is not known until transaction 2. Then a search could be done on the unique memo. An option to add a transaction link and to browse for it would be very useful.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jpmullis
    jpmullis Member
    I don't want to create a new tag for each time I go to the doctor. I am getting old and this is quite often. Tags are great for some things but since they are kept as an ever growing list, they would get really cluttered. Also, I would still have to do a search or report to find associated transactions. Currently, on a transfer, you can "go to marching transaction" it would be nice to be able to either "go to linked transactions" or to go to the attachments window to find related transactions. I do use the Tags for these medical transactions to identify the patient, and if this has been reimbursed from the HSA, but to have a unique tag for each visit seems like a clunky solution. I am sure the linked transactions could have other uses also.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    re-reading your orig posting... I would think just some post billing entries might do it -
    Enter all your transactions as you see fit - individual line items, downloaded charges, etc -
    Then - as you mentioned - after you receive some bill - which I'm guessing you want to attach -
    then as mentioned, just go back thru each already entered Quicken transaction (or create new ones from the billing) and add the unique invoice/billing/eob number into the memo field
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • jpmullis
    jpmullis Member
    That is exactly what I am currently doing. It would just be nice to automate part of this. Instead of having to enter a unique string in each of the memo fields unique for each set) and into the search box to find related transactions, it would be nice to have them in a list somewhere (like the attachments window).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jpmullis said:
    I don't want to create a new tag for each time I go to the doctor. I am getting old and this is quite often. Tags are great for some things but since they are kept as an ever growing list, they would get really cluttered. Also, I would still have to do a search or report to find associated transactions. Currently, on a transfer, you can "go to marching transaction" it would be nice to be able to either "go to linked transactions" or to go to the attachments window to find related transactions. I do use the Tags for these medical transactions to identify the patient, and if this has been reimbursed from the HSA, but to have a unique tag for each visit seems like a clunky solution. I am sure the linked transactions could have other uses also.
    As I see it, Quicken would need to be provided with a name for each list of transactions so that we would be able to follow the appropriate list when a transaction is associated with more than one list of transactions or are you assuming that a transaction may only be on one list.  For example: if A -> B -> C and X -> Y -> Z, what do expect happens when we link B and Y?
  • jpmullis
    jpmullis Member
    Just like you can add multiple file attachments, you could add multiple linked transactions. No need to make a "name". For example, you could add a reciept, a link to [ChaseVisa]:01/22/2021 that would be a clickable link to the other transaction. And then more if needed.

In the memo field method, you need a unique name for each "set" and you could put more than one of these unique names if this transaction was in more than one set. I don't know a use for multiple sets, but I guess it could be done.
  • jpmullis
    jpmullis Member
    When you add the link to [ChaseVisa]:01/22/2021 it would be nice to add a link to that transaction back to the one you are working on (reciprocal linking).