restore does not restore bill pay accounts, requires starting over

Quicken has been crashing a lot, esp with the latest updates. I always do a restore after a crash to avoid data file corruption. Quicken validate and supervalidate doesnt find nor repair a lot of issues. Since I restore a backup file prior to the crash, quicken tries to sync the file even though I have the switch off to sync accounts online. Then quicken says that it could not find my 2 bill pay accounts online and then disables them, so I have to go thru the entire bill pay online account setup (2 deposits). This happens EVERY time I restore a file, so billpay is extremely cumbersome to constantly set up again to validate my bank accounts, over and over. I also try to validate my restored file, but that doesnt help as the re-syncing occurs immediately after a restore. Any help here?

I also noticed that the most recent update eliminated the ability to hover my cursor over graphs in reports to get the numerical values. The most recent update seems to be a downgrade of capabilities in quicken.

Comments

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited October 2021

Hello @whodiini,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this. 

Given the information that you have provided, it seems to me that you suspect your file to be damaged. While I would agree that a damaged file can cause Quicken to crash, I would also consider other options first. Like uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Just to rule out the possibility of it being a software issue. In the event that the file is damaged, it would be important to attempt to find what is causing the damage. Sometimes files just get old after living a long life. Some files get very large and need to be consolidated. More often than not, I find that the most common cause for damage in a file is storing or backing up the data file with one or more of the following; Third-party applications, cloud services, external hard drives, etc. To clarify, you CAN save your backups to a cloud or external. However, you should not use your file if it is stored on a cloud or external (move it onto your hard drive before opening it), and you should exclude your main data file from any automatic backups of your computer. Where is your data file located?

As far as the issue you have been having with Bill Manager not restoring when you restore a backup. This is actually the expected behavior. When you restore a backup it does require that you go through the Bill Manager setup process again. To avoid this, you would simply not restore a backup. Bill Manager can only be active in one file at a time.

You also mentioned that Quicken syncs your file even though you have turned the sync off. Can you please provide me with a screenshot of the sync that is happening in your file? Unless that would require you to restore a backup. In that case, it is not necessary or recommended. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Lastly, in regards to the graphs in reports no longer showing values when you hover over them. This feature has not been removed and still currently works in my own Quicken software. Have you tried running a new report?  

I hope this provides some insight and look forward to hearing back from you. 

Quicken Alyssa