Quicken File Locked...AGAIN

Ok, I'm venting here to Quicken. It's extremely disappointing to me that after Quicken's latest update my Quicken Data file is locked AGAIN with some unknown PW thus locking me out and losing all my data from the last few weeks...having to go back to my most recent backup.

This is NOW THE SECOND TIME this has happened. I'd like to understand what is going on, why this is happening and what is being done to address this? Last time this happened, help desk wasn't even able to unlock it. Numerous other's had the same issue and basically we were given guidance that sorry that happened, you'll need to recreate from a working backup and we're making sure to fix this issue so it doesn't happen again....but seeing that isn't the case???

I'm not sure what in these updates is putting a PW on my data file when I've never had one and thus locking the file and even help desk can't unlock it and the forgot pw function doesn't even work either???

Again very very disappointed, frustrated and upset that this has happened AGAIN!

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    what version are you currently running .....  
    Help --> About Quicken
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Not saying that you don't have a right to complain, what is happening shouldn't, but if "This is NOW THE SECOND TIME this has happened." why aren't you making backups more frequently?
    Personally, I make a backup after any session that I make changes to my data file, so I will never have to loose much work if it ever happens.
    At a minimum, get two thumbdrives to make the backups to and alternate between them so that "all your eggs are not in a single basket".  Save the backups with the date appended and delete the older ones as space is needed.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ryan K
    Ryan K Member ✭✭
    So the Quicken version I'm using is Quicken Deluxe and it just downloaded and updated to R36.38.

As for the backup comment. It's a good call and luckily after last time, my wife and I backup more often, so we'll only will lose two weeks of data when I recreate from the backup. However like you said, that doesn't excuse the issue and lack of Quicken addressing this multiple times now. I didn't think it would be required to backup daily/weekly after I make changes because of whatever they are doing in updates that's locking my data file and their own recovery methods don't even work :(.

It's just really disappointing after the first time this happened and they said they were addressing it that obviously they didn't :(.
  • Ryan K
    Ryan K Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > what version are you currently running .....  
    > Help --> About Quicken

So the Quicken version I'm using is Quicken Deluxe and it just downloaded and updated to R36.38.