Synchronize info in transfers/payments across ledgers

Scenario:

I setup a CC payment on a CC website. I then enter the payment in the CC account ledger in Quicken setting my checking account as the category. I also provide helpful information in the memo field (e.g. payment scheduling confirmation number on CC website). As expected, the entry is created in both the CC and checking account ledgers with that memo information in both. Later, I make an edit to the memo field in one of the two ledgers but that edit is not carried over to the other entry as occurred when the two entries were created. I have to duplicate the same manual edit on the associated ledger entry.

Please modify this behavior so that edits to the memo field are carried over to the associated ledger entry.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be a nice improvement. The transfer transactions are linked internally, so if I change the amount or date in one register, the change is reflected in the other register. If I change the Category in either register so the transfer is to or from a different account, the transfer moves to the other account.

But changes to the Memo or Payee only affect the register where the change was made. I can't think of a good reason why it should work this way. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree. There are plenty of times I want to change the memo on one side of a transfer and not the other. This suggestion would prevent me from doing that.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cris Williams  As you can see from the first two comments, this is a controversial idea.  The behavior has been noted and commented on previously.  This current approach has been the programming for decades.  I happen to fall in the @Rocket J Squirrel camp but I understand where the opposite view (your view) comes from.  I just don't see an easy resolution.  Prompting each time nor a preference setting strikes me as attractive.
  • Cris Williams
    Cris Williams Member ✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    @Cris Williams  As you can see from the first two comments, this is a controversial idea.  The behavior has been noted and commented on previously.  This current approach has been the programming for decades.  I happen to fall in the @Rocket J Squirrel camp but I understand where the opposite view (your view) comes from.  I just don't see an easy resolution.  Prompting each time nor a preference setting strikes me as attractive.
    Been using Quicken since early 90s. You are correct...it's been this way (and annoying) for decades. Not sure how the duration of the behavior justifies being inflexible to improvement.

There is a very easy solution - add a configuration option to turn it off for those users who find it annoying and turn it on for those users who can't live without it. It's quite simple to skip a subroutine based on a config option.
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭
    If this is made as a configuration (preference) setting, you need to be able to override it for a specific transaction.

The way I use Quicken, the vast majority of the time I would want to keep the two transfer transactions in sync but there are cases where I want two different memos.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.