Customize Categories for Spending Tab View (or exclude _401EmployerContrib)

The provided option for "Income" includes embedded Quicken categories like _401EmployerContrib, which is a benefit deposited into a 401K retirement :'( :'( :'( account. This type of income should not be considered for Spending analysis as it is not liquid for Expense usage. Please consider either filtering out these fixed categories from the Spending views, or provide a means to customize the Category list for the tab.
3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the spending tab is intended as a quick overview of your spending. 

You can always customize a report to show just the Categories you want.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • ChasPro
    ChasPro Member
    So ... my employer's contribution to my 401K has to do with Spending how? This tab is a quick overview of all of the + and - records in the database, regardless of what they mean. It's a whole tab called "Spending" ... it should be smarter (like dropping the embedded categories based on their meaning) or not exist at all.

(Yes ... over in the Discussion forum post that I started, the same advice was given ... and my observation is that we are supposed to go back to Quicken '84 features like simple tables and reports).
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6
    Actually I agree with you and voted for this. You should too.

The Spending tab lets you select accounts, no reason you shouldn't be allowed to select Categories as well. It should remember your selections.
    QWin Premier subscription