Fix the triple paint

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 8 in Display/UI (Windows)
I've been patiently and quietly putting up with QWin's triple screen paint for more years than I can remember. I am finally out of patience with it.
Every time QWin opens or returns from backup, the window paints three times.
Sometimes, it's relatively fast, paint-paint-paint.
Other times, it's annoyingly slow, paint-sleep-paint-sleep-paint. I sit there knowing that I can't do anything until the 3rd paint is complete.
I theorize that some times (more than 1 time) in the past, a programmer got lazy about what needed to be painted and thought they'd just repaint the whole window for safety.
In any case, could someone please dive into the code and eliminate two redundant paints?
Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
6 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short of a complete rewrite of the Quicken application, I don't think there's anything that can be done to quick-fix this problem. It takes three layers of paint to cover the rust spots on this old steamer.
    <g,d,r>
    :wink:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken does some crazy repainting on the main window most likely because of the "fake main window".

Watching it on Windows 11 was even "funnier", but you can see the same kind of result even on Windows 10.

On Windows 11 it starts with about this much showing:

Then a second or so it then expands to the whole window, and like you said there are some extra repaints in there too.  The starting small like this and expanding seems to be tied to Windows 11 new "animations" of the window showing up, but whereas in other applications it is a fluid process, in Quicken you get this strange "trying to catch up" process.

On Windows 10 it starts out as a full size (well almost) it is a few pixels too small, and then after about a second or so it figures that it needs to resize a bit larger and then does that.  But I might add that it never really gets the size exactly right (its is closer to what it was when it started, but not perfect).  Here is with a red background so that you can see it (Quicken in full screen mode)

And just in case you think this is normal here is with MS Edge:

So many of such problems can be traced back to their insistence on using this fake window so that they can have these controls where they don't belong:

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/