Navigate to the clr column without a mouse [Edited]

I want the CLR column to behave like all other columns: Tab-navigable and keyboard entry

My vision is deteriorating and I'm not good with clicking anymore
Tagged:
7 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10
    Good point. The 3 Clr choices are difficult to reach by menu via the keyboard. ALT+E, R, L gets you there, clumsily.
    Let's turn this into a votable Idea.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @RichardHaven,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those unwilling to wait, I suggest using an Autohotkey script.  For example, the following script maps Ctrl + Alt + CCtrl + Alt + R, and Ctrl + Alt + Spacebar to set the Clr field of the selected transaction in a register to ClearedReconciled, and Uncleared, respectively.

#ifWinActive ahk_exe qw.exe

^!c:: ; set transaction status to "Cleared"
      WinMenuSelectItem, A, , &Edit, Transaction, Reconcile, Cleared
    return

^!r:: ; set transaction status to "Reconciled"
      WinMenuSelectItem, A, , &Edit, Transaction, Reconcile, Reconciled
    return

^!Space:: ; set transaction status to "Uncleared"
      WinMenuSelectItem, A, , &Edit, Transaction, Reconcile, Not Reconciled
    return

#ifWinActive
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I ask why you see a need to frequently modify the Clr field in a transaction?
    The Clr field is supposed to be managed by Quicken.
    • It's blank when a new register transaction is created.
    • It's set to "c" (cleared) when a register transaction is matched with a downloaded transaction
    • It's set to "R" (Reconciled) when you include the register transaction in a Reconcile process, comparing a bank statement to your register.
    Under normal circumstances the need to modify Clr should be extremely rare.
    But if you do have to, for example, reset a month worth of transactions from "R" to "c" so that you can repeat a Reconcile process, you don't have to modify one transaction at a time. You can block-select multiple transactions (like you select files in Windows File Explorer), then right-click one of the selected (highlighted) transactions and select Reconcile status / cleared.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    May I ask why you see a need to frequently modify the Clr field in a transaction?
    The Clr field is supposed to be managed by Quicken.
    • It's blank when a new register transaction is created.
    • It's set to "c" (cleared) when a register transaction is matched with a downloaded transaction
    • It's set to "R" (Reconciled) when you include the register transaction in a Reconcile process, comparing a bank statement to your register.
    Under normal circumstances the need to modify Clr should be extremely rare.
    But if you do have to, for example, reset a month worth of transactions from "R" to "c" so that you can repeat a Reconcile process, you don't have to modify one transaction at a time. You can block-select multiple transactions (like you select files in Windows File Explorer), then right-click one of the selected (highlighted) transactions and select Reconcile status / cleared.

It is not really a question of frequency.  It's a question of ease of use.  A number of years ago, we could navigate to the Clr field and press C, R, or Spacebar or use a pull-down menu.  For some never explained reason, Quicken decided to change the pull-down menu to a radio menu and disabled the keyboard support.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:

It is not really a question of frequency.  It's a question of ease of use.  A number of years ago, we could navigate to the Clr field and press C, R, or Spacebar or use a pull-down menu.  For some never explained reason, Quicken decided to change the pull-down menu to a radio menu and disabled the keyboard support.
    I think the "never explained" aspect was that users were inadvertently changing the status, thus throwing off subsequent reconciliations.  That was always my take on the change, at least.  They purposely made it a little more difficult.  That is not to say this users idea is without value.  I think it is worthwhile for the programmers to address keyboard access to change the Clr status.

I also don't see this as necessarily an automatic field.  For a manually maintained account, the change from blank to 'c' can be very helpful manually tracking the FI's online info.  At times for simple reconciliations, I will also force the change from 'c' to 'R' rather than pull up the reconciliation page.  My third circumstance is when using a Memorized Payee that may have the status (mark as cleared) included in its memorization.