How to enter canadian RRSP Certificates (2 Types) in Quicken Deluxe (Canada)

I am new to Quicken user (Quicken Deluxe, Canadian edition) from Canada and I need assistance in how I enter in my RRSP account a purchased:
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) that will give me 2% annually, maturing in 3 years; and
- TD Canadian Banking & Utilities GIC (in that same account), linked to market, that will give me an overall minimum of 2% return in 5 years, up to a maximum of 18.88%.
Please help.
Thank you.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @SNadeau,

The recommended way to handle these types of investments (which the GIC's you describe are) is to set up a new "security" in Quicken, for each one of these GIC's you purchase through the RRSP account.  Here's a LINK to the "step by step" instructions.  Keep in mind that these are written for US folks - so a "CD" is the same as a "GIC" for these purposes.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken H,B &RP-Subscription Ver. 36.38 - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• SNadeau
    SNadeau Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply, Frankx. Which Exchange option do I choose (I have to select one, even though one of my GICs is not linked to the market). And where do I add the interest rate that it will provide after 3 years?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @SNadeau,

Okay - apparently the Canadian version may act differently than the US version.  After you select "Add Security" do you get this pop-up?  see below

If so you should "Click here" which should eliminate the requirement to select an Exchange.  If you are seeing something else, let me know.

On the interest question - unfortunately Quicken will not calculate the interest income on a CD (or similar investment vehicle) based on an interest rate, and since these will not be "connected" accounts, you'll likely need to make manual entries for these investments.

Let me know if you have any follow-up or additional questions.

Frankx

Quicken H,B &RP-Subscription Ver. 36.38 - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.