Charles Schwab Update Issues (WINDOWS) [Edited]

Answers

• jcricket73
    jcricket73 Member ✭✭
    Man, this is the worst "upgrade" ever - I'm experiencing the continued prompts for reconnecting, and I've lost access to the view only accounts (ones in my wife's name). If this is going to continue I'll have to discontinue using Quicken. No end in sight for weeks now.
  • Mike Molloy
    Mike Molloy Member ✭✭
    Still have the problem with Schwab accounts. Disabled and reconnected and still have the problem. Just submitted data via "Report a Problem..."
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭
    @andyg53 Would you tell where you read the "update to a Quicken Announcement" from Nov 12?
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭
    @andyg53 My test Quicken file with Schwab IRA accounts is new and has no hidden accounts. Was your problem with Quicken/Schwab prompting for reconnects only?
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭
    @andyg53 Found the "update ..."
  • andyg53
    andyg53 Member ✭✭
    > @LarryNolan said:
    > @andyg53 Found the "update ..."

Did it help?
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭
    @andyg53 nope not the problem I am having
  • mackworth
    mackworth Mac Beta Beta
    Also had extreme problems with this transition. Always such a joy to get support when two corporations have a comm problem like this. And as I have multiple accounts at Schwab, I really wish we hadn't been blessed with being the guinea pigs for this new protocol...

First, after the switch, my main account showed up as about 20% off on total value. Finally tracked it down to Quicken thinking Schwab was telling it I had zero shares of three equities. Thus, it entered phantom transactions (at the bottom of the register for some reason, in 1989, as I have a very long history) which set all those values to zero. Once I deleted those (or fixed the amount in one case), then the market value was correct. My IRA account seems to be fine.

Secondly, it added dozens of unreconciled "Add shares" with 0 shares or security name, but with significant dollar amounts. The amounts seem to come from transfers I did external to Schwab (those transactions are there as well). Fortunately, they didn't affect the balance, and just deleting them seems to have worked fine.

Third, my spouse's IRA and my Schwab/Quicken/Rocket mortgage account no longer show up. The IRA is by design as although my Schwab login can access it, I'm obviously not the primary, so it doesn't appear in the list of accounts to link. My spouse created a separate account, but we were unable to link to it; it just errors out. The Rocket account shows up, and says it linked, but nothing happens. Finally today, I went through the process again and they seem to be linked.

Finally, none of my bonds are updating their values; they were fine before the update, as are other securities, but no bond prices have downloaded since then. This is the only ongoing problem, at least, that I know of. I spent an hour on the chat line w/ Quicken support, linking and relinking (once getting into the re-auth loop). The final comment was "We need to be on the phone; I'll call you in 45 minutes"; that was two days ago.

What a mess.
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭
    @mackworth my accounts hold CDs, bonds, treasury notes, ETFs, mutual funds. Only a non IRA account continues to update after the changes. I hope Schwab and Quicken have enough information to indicate what has failed.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > We appreciate everyone's help with investigating this behavior and providing the requested logs. 
    >
    > With the information provided we were able to identify two scenarios in which the prompt to authorize the accounts continues to appear.
    >
    > For more information, please see the update on our ongoing alert for the Schwab transition, available here.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

THX... I have 1 question..... When Schwab completes the transition will it still use Direct Connect as before? It shows "Express Web Connect+" right now... I don't even know what EWC+ is...
    Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • Dkline
    Dkline Member ✭✭
    I have not been able to complete the transition. When I click "Take me back to Quicken" I get an error message. "Can't setup Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." I tried deactivating and reactivating, which did not help. If I try to reconnect a deactivated account using "ZZ Charles Schwab & Co." I am told I need to upgrade to Quicken Deluxe, from Quicken starter. Is Starter not compatible with Schwab's new system?
  • I am now seeing inaccurate or incomplete transactions downloading from Charles Schwab. Today, I had a dividend post at Schwab for the Schwab Money Market Fund. This showed up as a downloaded dividend in Quicken with zero value (not the actual dividend value) so transactions are not downloading properly.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Dkline said:
    I have not been able to complete the transition. When I click "Take me back to Quicken" I get an error message. "Can't setup Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." I tried deactivating and reactivating, which did not help. If I try to reconnect a deactivated account using "ZZ Charles Schwab & Co." I am told I need to upgrade to Quicken Deluxe, from Quicken starter. Is Starter not compatible with Schwab's new system?
    @Dkline I'm confused; were you connecting with Schwab previously? Quicken Starter does not support tracking investments, and so it should not connect to investment/retirement account brokerages. (But this is nothing new.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • LarryNolan
    LarryNolan Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    @quickenkathryn It would be polite to everyone who has submitted problems with the Schwab connection if Quicken would publish an update every few days about when a fix is expected. Or even if the problem(s) have been identified.
    I have an open ticket from 11-10-21 and have gotten no update. Have open ticket with Schwab on same problem.
  • Hello @LarryNolan

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize for the inconvenience from this persisting issue. To clarify, we do have an open alert at the moment where updates/troubleshooting is posted. It is updated with more information we receive it. 

For more information and updates regarding Charles Schwab please visit the link below. You can also bookmark the post by selecting the ribbon icon on the top right corner. A visual example is below. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7900567/updated-11-12-21-upcoming-changes-to-charles-schwab-accounts#latest

Hope this helps. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • When I try to reconnect my Schwab accounts after disconnecting them, I get a message "Unable to connect to Quicken servers". This has happened since last week. In addition, Quicken has told me twice that my Quicken could file doesn't agree with my local file. And I have twice had to remove spurious downloads. I agree that this change has been poorly rolled out, and probably not completely tested. It also is inconsistent with the good performance of Quicken I've experienced previously.
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    Yesterday (Nov. 15) in my Quicken for Windows (current version R36.38) after I did my usual One-Step Update, I received a pop-up prompt with a link to this article (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-manually-change-connection-method-charles-schwab-accounts) and went ahead and followed the instructions there for all of my Schwab accounts in Quicken (about 10 Schwab brokerage accounts, and a couple of Schwab Bank accounts). I was able to get authorized and re-link all of the accounts without an issue, but when the process was done, I found several things that appear to be problems:

1. Quicken had downloaded A LOT of transactions for each of my Schwab accounts - roughly going back to early July 2020, so almost a year and a half. It didn't download all of the transactions for that time period, but quite a lot. My main bank account had about 200 transactions downloaded.

2. Many transactions ALREADY IN THE REGISTER for these accounts had been changed, or disappeared entirely. All transactions that were changed appear to also have had their status changed from Reconciled (R) back to Cleared (c). In addition, most transactions that were changed had some combination of:
    a. payee name reset/overwritten to what was downloaded (as opposed to what I had changed it to).
    b. categorization of the transaction was blank, or changed to one category in what had previously been a split. All splits appear to have been reset/lost.
    c. the memo had been reset/overwritten to what was downloaded, as opposed to the memo I had custom written.

3. When I tried to do subsequent One-Step Updates, several OTHER non-Schwab accounts started throwing error OL-362-A. These accounts had not been changed or touched in my resetting of the Schwab accounts (that I know of at least) and had worked fine before the Schwab transition.

After grasping the magnitude of the problem and the sheer amount of financial data I had lost (see #2 above), I bailed on these changes and reverted to my most recent backup, before the Schwab connection method change.

PLEASE tell me that the above is some bug or wrinkle in the process between Schwab and Quicken that can and will be worked out in a Quicken update in the coming days. If I had to swallow all of the loss and work involved in combing through all of #1 and #2 above it will be many hours of tedious work that should not be necessary, and that will only have been recoverable at all because I had an up-to-date backup (thankfully).

Help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you consider deactivating the Online Services of all the account register's associated Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and maintaining the account registers manually.  The transition from the Direct Connect connection method to the unreliable Express Web Connect connection method is likely to be unstable for some time.
  • Recently deactivated and re-activated Schwab accounts (in my case four accounts) update process per instruction from Quicken. It took me about four hours to clean up the mess created by the update. Now the Schwab Bank Account will not reconcile using the on line system (get a zero statement balance) and I am fearful of manually reconciling. Does anyone have any advice?
  • Steve Zynda
    Steve Zynda Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    1. I am on the Quicken Version R36.38
    2. My Schwab connections changed to “zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.” and no longer downloads and I get an OL-362-A error. The subsequent pop-up warning alerts me that Schwab connections are changing and to follow the steps in an FAQ to get back up and running.
    3. The steps in the FAQ to change the Schwab connectivity do not work[Edited-Readability]. The FAQ # GEN00805 dated 11/04/2021 has me Deactivate my current Schwab accounts on the Online Services tab. When I click the “Deactivate” button and confirm with a “yes” response, I am returned to the same screen where I still have a “Deactivate” button. If the deactivation process had worked correctly, I would be presented with a “Setup Now” Button. (This broken behavior occurs in all 4 of my Quicken data files).
    4. If I proceed ahead with the process anyways, I get additional issues after Schwab passes the account list back to Quicken:
    a. Quicken cannot see my existing brokerage account to link the new Schwab connection ("Link to" Account list is blank)
    b. Quicken initially downloads the account list from Schwab and property shows “Checking” by the checking accounts. However, the instant I click on the "Link to" drop list, Quicken switches the value to “Brokerage” and nulls out the "Link to" list.
    5. I called in Quicken Support on 11/16/2021 and spoke to Carlos for about an hour while he researched and tried a few things... (Case # 8990599) Carlos said server changes and patches would be pushed overnight. (Today is 11/17/2021 and no patches were pushed and no symptom changes that I can see). Everything is still broken.[Edited-Readability]
    6. In the known product issues post administered by @Quicken Kathryn titled “Updated xx/xx/xx Upcoming Changes to Charles Schwab Accounts”. There is an entry under the “UPDATE 11/12/21” header that is very concerning to me that reads… “This behavior may occur if you have multiple data files with Schwab accounts connected for downloading transactions. At this time, the new Schwab authorization process is limited to a single data file, and if Schwab accounts are connected or authorized in a different file, the original file connection is signed out, and you will again be prompted to authorize the accounts.” This limitation is not acceptable![Edited-Readabilty]  I have 10 Brokerage and 2 Checking Accounts under my single Schwab Login and for accounting and tax purposes, I MUST link my Schwab accounts across four (4) Quicken data files. I only link EACH Schwab account to only ONE of the four Quicken files. I need Quicken to support the ability to link a subset of my Schwab accounts across several Quicken data files. Otherwise, this renders your product useless to me.

Please reply and share your similar situations and suggestion to try. Hopefully @Quicken Kathryn or others will see this and escalate with the engineers.
  • DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭
    When Schwab accounts are re-added to Quicken in this new process, the first download results in a mass download of transactions going back to mid 2020. Is there any way to mass-delete these downloads BEFORE accepting them into the Quicken register?

I do see from many earlier posts that you can mass delete after accepting in registers. But, this is extremely awkward, error-prone and time-consuming when you are talking about 1.5 years of data across multiple registers.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    (Quicken for Windows, subscription version R.36.38)
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock Thanks, a couple of follow up questions for you if you don't mind sharing more thoughts:

1. So do you believe the problem is with the connection method itself being unstable, and not with how the Quicken program handles the initial first download after switching over to Express Web Connect? The reason I ask is that I have a number of accounts at another institution that have been using Express Web Connect for a long time now and it has never been a problem. That's why I'm lead to suspect that there is improvement to be made in the Quicken program's handling of the transition from existing data that had been downloaded and entered using Direct Connect to new data being downloaded using Express Web Connect (but much of which being redundant to what already exists in the register).

2. If you're right that the problem is just the Express Web Connect method is going to be unstable for some time, what is the end game? How would I know if and when it gets stabilized enough to give it another shot? I certainly don't want to give up downloading transactions indefinitely.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Rob41 said:
    @Sherlock Thanks, a couple of follow up questions for you if you don't mind sharing more thoughts:

1. So do you believe the problem is with the connection method itself being unstable, and not with how the Quicken program handles the initial first download after switching over to Express Web Connect? The reason I ask is that I have a number of accounts at another institution that have been using Express Web Connect for a long time now and it has never been a problem. That's why I'm lead to suspect that there is improvement to be made in the Quicken program's handling of the transition from existing data that had been downloaded and entered using Direct Connect to new data being downloaded using Express Web Connect (but much of which being redundant to what already exists in the register).
    The appearance of previously imported transactions is common when we switch connection methods as the algorithm for generating the FITID field is likely changed.  The Express Web Connect connection method is itself inherently unreliable and, in this case, Intuit is transitioning to use a new restrictive API maintained by Schwab to access the account data.
    2. If you're right that the problem is just the Express Web Connect method is going to be unstable for some time, what is the end game? How would I know if and when it gets stabilized enough to give it another shot? I certainly don't want to give up downloading transactions indefinitely.
    As the Express Web Connect connection method is inherently unreliable, predicting when the connectivity to your Schwab accounts will be stable enough is challenging.  My recommendation is to check for posts in the community on the topic.  When things appear quiet for say a week or two, it may be safe.  The longer you can wait, the less likely it will be that you'll experience issues.
  • DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭
    I'm experiencing one odd problem with this transition. I have one set of accounts (3 accounts, under one Schwab user ID) and my wife has another set (2 accounts, under a single - but different than mine of course - Schwab user ID). Same Quicken data file for both. 5 Registers in Quicken.

Following the steps outlined by Quicken, covering deactivation and re-adding, all of MY accounts transitioned properly - each linked to an existing Quicken register and downloads transactions fine. Except one.

I can only link one of my wife's two accounts to an existing Quicken register. When I go to link her second account, that account is missing from the Quicken drop down menu. So unable to link. Both accounts are correctly checked on Schwab's website (Quicken, select your accounts section at Schwab), but Quicken doesn't "see" that second account and I have no option to link to the register. Weird problem because it is only 1 single account of the 5 that is acting this way. It seems the issue lies with Quicken itself on this one.

Anybody else experience this and have a solution? I really don't want to start a new Quicken register for this account because of the history. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
    Quicken Premier (Windows) Version R36.38
  • Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Updated to mondo patch. Turned off old access to Schwab accounts. If I reactivate using the Schwab (without the Zs" - I still get CC-501. If I go back to the one with the Zs... it comes up with a list of accounts... so it seems to be able to connect to that.

For some reason my version of quicken (With the mondo patch 31.25) - seems to be trying to use the old (zz) connection method.

So the update changed nothing on this problem. Validate and super validate changed nothing.

Please advise
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    > @Sherlock said:
      When things appear quiet for say a week or two, it may be safe.  The longer you can wait, the less likely it will be that you'll experience issues.

Why can Quicken IT not just tell us exactly what is going on and why... Alot of the time the Community just makes their best guess... to get the right answer go to the source....
    Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Bill Pa said:
    > Updated to mondo patch. Turned off old access to Schwab accounts. If I reactivate using the Schwab (without the Zs" - I still get CC-501. If I go back to the one with the Zs... it comes up with a list of accounts... so it seems to be able to connect to that.
    >
    > For some reason my version of quicken (With the mondo patch 31.25) - seems to be trying to use the old (zz) connection method.
    >
    > So the update changed nothing on this problem. Validate and super validate changed nothing.
    >
    > Please advise
    >

I think R36.38 is the revision they said had to be used for the Schwab changeover...
  • crwalejr
    crwalejr Member ✭✭✭
    I removed Quicken and restored to the mondo patch mentioned. Still have the Schwab problem.  I deleted the Mondo version and reinstalled Quicken 36.38 which is the latest.  Schwab connection still doesn't work.  So I am doing nothing until this is fixed.  It would be much appreciated if Quicken support would have the courtesy to update us daily as to the progress being made instead of just hearing crickets from support.
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    What do you mean by "will not reconcile using the on line system"?  This forum is for Quicken Windows desktop... the reconciliation process is entirely off-line.  Works fine for me with the new Schwab connection.  The only weird thing is that Schwab Bank accounts used to be connected via a Schwab Bank institution connection.  Now all brokerage AND bank accounts are linked from the Charles Schwab & Co., Inc connection, using "Express Web Connect+" (plus at the end is the new bit).

Quicken Windows and Mac subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @crwalejr There is an Announcement thread on this site regarding Schwab which the Quicken folks update when there is news to update. There isn't a daily update because the status for users doesn't change every day. But you should bookmark that page and check it every few days to see if there is new information. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.