Charles Schwab Update Issues (WINDOWS) [Edited]

Answers

• pjdiaz
    pjdiaz Member
    Switched over to the new Schwab download. Only 2 of my 3 Schwab accounts showed on the list of accounts (Checking and Brokerage). These appear to be working (i.e. I got downloads from both). My third account, a Charitable Gift Account, which had been downloading transactions via the prior method, did not show up on the account list. I repeated the Tools->Add Account process again and it still did not show up (again only the already set up two did). Anyone know how what's going on/how to fix this?
  • J Wilson
    J Wilson Member
    I have been following this page for a few days now and find the information incomplete, and inaccurate.

I would expect a daily update giving an overview of known issues that you are working on and a timeline for resolution. Please give us some hope that you are working to fix this mess by being specific about what's going on.
  • J Wilson
    J Wilson Member
    Oops, should have been more clear. By "this page" in my previous post, I mean the UPDATE page that Quicken Paloma references.
  • SrTrekker
    SrTrekker Member ✭✭
    I have authenticated w/ Schwab. Old accounts showed up as new and have populated positions. I have disabled old direct connect (zz) versions, and connection method. The EWC appears in the one-step update. (See the attached image. Not shown in the image are other institutions' EWC that work fine.) Yet, Schwab transactions and balances are not updating. (Confirmed via logging on to Schwab) What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll tag into this discussion even though my problem isn't exactly the same. 
    Attempting to make the conversion I get the CC-501 error.  The latest mondo patch is installed.  All Schwab Accounts including old hidden Accounts are disconnected.  Talked to Schwab support, sent them the log/text files, so the rep's guess was that the system was overburdened with folks trying to convert.  So, at least for the moment I have no access to Schwab through Quicken.
  • There are many cleared, but unreconciled, transactions - credits and debits. All are correct. The sum of these cleared balances and the account balance is correct. However, the "statement ending balance" in the reconciliation report is "0.00"??? The recon report indicates a large difference.

Prior to deactivating and activating per the Quicken instructions, each day a small number of transactions would post during update and the reconciliation process would initiate automatically. Each day the account would be properly reconciled without any manual intervention.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Continuing issue.... been going on for days now. Changeover was supposed to be completed on 11-18-21
    Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • Mike3
    Mike3 Windows Beta Beta
    The Schwab transition to the aggregator so far has dropped one of my IRA accounts, shown no investments in a Schwab one account and failed to integrate Schwab bank and savings accounts.  Not going to even attempt a correction on my own.  Quicken, please fix this mess.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    J Wilson said:
    I would expect a daily update giving an overview of known issues that you are working on and a timeline for resolution. Please give us some hope that you are working to fix this mess by being specific about what's going on.
    @J Wilson To avoid increasing frustration, I suggest you reset your expectations because I don't think you'll get a daily update, nor the issues being negotiated and worked on behind the scenes. They will update when they have something to report to the user community, and there just isn't such news on a daily basis.

As for wanting something to give you hope they are working on it, well, of course they are. ;) These are complex issues which involve development teams for Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows as well as Intuit and Schwab, as well as security and legal people at Schwab. (If you haven't seen it, take a minute to read this reply in another thread from Quicken Mac product manager Marcus, just to get some insight into some of the complexities they're dealing with.)

Quicken is obviously the most motivated of the parties to get this fixed, but both technical work and policy decisions can take time to work through. And I'm sure Quicken doesn't want to rush to roll out a half-baked, minimaly-tested fix which could fail to fix the problems or make things worse. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭
    Just wanted to say that I have a similar problem - in that I was able to re-add all my Schwab accounts but 1 single account could not be linked to the existing account in Quicken. That one account did not appear on the drop-down list on the Quicken linking menu. I tried two things in an effort to fix, neither helped. First, I ran a Quicken File Validation, thinking that might help. But no difference. Then I signed into Schwab website, the Security section, to verify that the missing account was properly authorized for linking to Quicken (which it was). As with you, all my other Schwab downloads are working. If I figure anything out, I will post. I suspect I'll be doing a support call eventually.
  • I am having the same issue as noted by David above
  • rick_larson
    rick_larson Member ✭✭
    The update dropped my IRA account also. Look for a transaction on 11/17/21 where shares are "Removed" from the account, thereby zeroing it out. I'm contacting Schwab to straighten out what they transmit to Quicken but no answer yet.
  • RIDPDX
    RIDPDX Member
    I had similar problems with repeating sign in/approval loops. Finally stopped when I disconnected my donor advised account (DAF). Schwab are saying Quicken's new policy does not allow them to download data even to a DAF account owner. Quicken support are not at all helpful so far (we cant connect to their servers etc). Anyone else seeing this problem?
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    I had similar problems when I attempted the transition a couple of days ago. My post about it is here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901712/schwab-transition-problems-encountered/

It made such a mess in my register that I bailed on it and reverted to a backup on the old connection method. Not sure how much longer that will continue to work but it still works today. I'm hoping to give it as much time as I can in hopes that things will get smoothed out. I don't know if that needs to happen on Quicken's end or on Schwab's end. But hoping one or the other is working on it. I chatted with Quicken tech support last night and they didn't seem to have much to offer. They just suggested I update to the latest R37.25 that was just released this week (I had to go to the download page and download it manually, since my Help-menu "Check for updates" was still reporting R36.38 as up-to-date), then Validate my data file, then try again. I haven't tried again yet.
  • mackworth
    mackworth Mac Beta Beta
    @RIDPDX  Schwab tells me that all "corporation" accounts will no longer be able to connect as the complexity of handling the different corporation-to-agent relationships (e.g. some allowed to access some information, but not others). Apparently, the new SODA integration doesn't support those different scenarios, so even the simplest 1 agent to 1 corporation is blocked. I don't know if a DAF is considered a corporation, but I'm guessing it is.

Quicken needs to let people know about this limitation, and also that accounts owned by other people are also no longer accessible (e.g. my spouse, that I have authorized access to). At least in the latter case, I can link those accounts by connecting with her credentials.

Is anyone else getting Bond price updates, or not getting them?
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    Update for anyone who may be following this issue: I chatted with Quicken support yesterday (11-17) and the rep didn't seem to have heard of these problems, and said her info was basically the same as what I had already attempted to do (following the steps in this article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-manually-change-connection-method-charles-schwab-accounts). She did let me know about the new release R37.25 (which at that time was not yet appearing in Quicken's "Check for updates" feature). She suggested I update to R37.25, Validate my data file, then try again using the steps in the article I linked to above.

I don't have a lot of hope for this since nothing about Schwab's connection method transition is mentioned in the release notes for R37.25. But I'll try it at some point in the coming days.
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    @DetroitRick Out of all the posts about the problems people are having with the Schwab connection method transition, yours sounds closest to identical to what I'm seeing. My post about it is here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901712/schwab-transition-problems-encountered/

I'll keep that thread updated as I learn anything more or get anything figured out. And let me know if you figure anything out too!
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    While I didn't have the same problems as you did, and I only need one Quicken data file, I did run into huge issues when I tried the connection method switch a couple of days ago. I ended up reverting to a backup before the switch and am still using that data file day-to-day for now, in hopes that giving it a few more days will help things get ironed out. For now the old connection method is still working for me. I'm posting things further, as I learn them, to the support thread I wrote about it, if you want to keep tabs: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901712/schwab-transition-problems-encountered/
  • DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭
    @Rob41. Thanks. Yes your post helped me to realize the scope of this problem. As far as the inability to mass delete the 1.5 years of transactions that came with this transition, I'll admit I gave up and just did them individually today. Very time consuming, but easier than trying to accept them into the register and then deleting all of them. And it avoids mucking up the Quicken register. So for me it worked.

But after doing so, I may have accidentally stumbled on a way to avoid this issue of all the history re-downloading. I'm just not sure, but I'll offer it in case it helps you or somebody else.

I had one account (Quicken register) that wouldn't link to the new Schwab download. That one Schwab/Quicken account was never a drop-down menu option in the link process, as was every other Schwab account. In spite of the fact that the Schwab website showed it as being linked. So after trying a bunch of unsuccessful steps to get this one account linked, I decided to set up the Schwab download from WITHIN that one Quicken register. Instead of via Tools > Add Accounts as I had done for every other account and as Quicken instructed. Long story short, that worked. But as the account was linked, I ALSO then saw that no redundant downloads for that last year and a half came into Quicken for acceptance/deletion on that account. It was as if this work-around avoids the mass download issue. Sample of one case, and I can't be sure, but had I known, I could have potentially avoided having to manually delete all those downloads.

So, now that everything appears to be working perfectly for me, I'll have to see what happens over the few days. I hope it doesn't head south again.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    > @Sherlock said:
      When things appear quiet for say a week or two, it may be safe.  The longer you can wait, the less likely it will be that you'll experience issues.

Why can Quicken IT not just tell us exactly what is going on and why... Alot of the time the Community just makes their best guess... to get the right answer go to the source....
    Perhaps it is because Quicken IT doesn't know exactly what is going on and why
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Steve Zynda,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

In regard to the issue of not being able to deactivate; if you haven't already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

As for the issue regarding Charles Schwab connectivity being available for only a single file at a time, I understand and apologize for your frustration. However, this decision was made by Charles Schwab and we, unfortunately, do not have a way of working around this yet.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭
    @DetroitRick Thanks for that info. Since I reverted and haven't gone through the process yet, I may try your potential work-around and see if it yields any different results.

Also, aside from the 1.5 years of transaction downloads, did you also have any of the issues I mentioned in my post about past transactions that are already in the register being changed? (Payee names, memos, categories, etc.) To me, I can handle having to go through and delete a bunch of downloaded transactions, but the overwriting of info already entered in the register is an even bigger problem.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob41 said:
    Update for anyone who may be following this issue: I chatted with Quicken support yesterday (11-17) and the rep didn't seem to have heard of these problems, and said her info was basically the same as what I had already attempted to do (following the steps in this article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-manually-change-connection-method-charles-schwab-accounts). She did let me know about the new release R37.25 (which at that time was not yet appearing in Quicken's "Check for updates" feature). She suggested I update to R37.25, Validate my data file, then try again using the steps in the article I linked to above.

I don't have a lot of hope for this since nothing about Schwab's connection method transition is mentioned in the release notes for R37.25. But I'll try it at some point in the coming days.
    If you want to push through the first two issues after the Online Services of all the account register's associated Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., I suggest you create new Schwab account registers, delete the transactions you don't want to keep, move the transactions from the original account registers to the new account registers, reset the payees and reminders referencing the original registers, and then delete the original registers.

Before making significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭
    @Rob41 I hope it works for you too. I always hesitate when I don't know WHY it worked. But, for that one account it was nice not to have to delete all those transactions.

On your issue #2, NO I did not (yet) have that happen. I've basically done two days of downloads too. But I've seen other postings this week where the download CHANGED the register entries. Frankly, I don't even know how that could happen. I had kind of assumed others who reported that had accepted the mass of downloaded transactions first. Otherwise I don't get how downloaded transactions could actually change a register until accepted. But I did check all sorts of things to make sure - spot checked that no payee names or categories got changed, then checked each Quicken Register balance back to Schwab's website (as of pre-market this morning). Everything seems to perfectly check out. Knock on wood, though, no I didn't have that experience. I will continue to check and balance my registers for a few more days. And try to figure a root cause from what people are posting. You're right, that is a far bigger problem that deleting a bunch of downloads.

On the OL-362-A answer, no. But I only have one other non-Schwab brokerage account and only did that download before my Schwab conversion. No OL-362-A's this morning either, on any accounts including that non-Schwab brokerage. Did it just happen yesterday, or have you had it occur again today? Just in very general terms, I have seen where problems/errors with one institution throw up an error on the next in line on my update list. But never twice in a row.
  • ncarmon
    ncarmon Member
    Following. Love to hear any updates. I have exactly the same problem.

Windows 10, R36;38
  • DetroitRick
    DetroitRick Member ✭✭
    Same issue here. Just noticed this today. So the Schwab download (EWC+, now) is sending a zero statement balance to Quicken. While my Quicken register for Schwab Investor Checking is correct, I can't complete the Reconcile function within the register. Exactly what you are reporting. No idea yet on a solution.
  • Steve Zynda
    Steve Zynda Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hello @Quicken Anja
    Thank You for the Validate/Super Validate suggestion, but Carlos the Rep I worked with 2 days ago already tried this. Still unable to deauthorize my accounts... Both Carlos and Eddie I spoke with the past two days were informed by the "online team" that 30,000 records or profiles are being migrated from the old Schwab Quicken server to the new Schwab Quicken server and this deactivation process should magically start working in the next 24 to 48 hours. Does this align with your understanding? I am not very confident that these individuals are capturing/understanding my true issues nor the questions they are asking the "online team" and their responses. The limitation on one data file is very disturbing. Can you send me a private message with the name of the Schwab point of contact so that I can have account manager reach out them. They will be interested to see balances of my accounts they are at risk of losing.
  • Dkline
    Dkline Member ✭✭
    @jacobs - yes, I have been able to connect to Schwab using my current copy of Quicken starter, build 6.4.4. Now when I look at those accounts, however, there are not transactions listed later than January 2021. One Quicken subscription expired then, and I must have renewed to Starter.

I believe you're saying that to upgrade to Deluxe to track brokerage accounts. Is that right?
  • Dkline
    Dkline Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @Dkline I'm confused; were you connecting with Schwab previously? Quicken Starter does not support tracking investments, and so it should not connect to investment/retirement account brokerages. (But this is nothing new.)

Post just above is a response to this one.
This discussion has been closed.