Charles Schwab Update Issues (WINDOWS) [Edited]

retird
retird Member ✭✭✭
Talked to Schwab Tech Support and they did some preliminary troubleshooting and Quicken is connecting to Schwab and shows it is processing but no updates come thru....

They said everything on my end looked good and they were going to make a ticket and escalate my case to the next level. Escalation to call me tomorrow if they want to look at anything else.
Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier (latest update) 20+ year user

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have opened an escalation ticket with our service provider for this issue. Please, refer to this open Community Alert for resolution instructions.

Thank you!

Answers

• isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 8
    With today's One Step Update, I noticed that the Financial Institution for my Charles Schwab accounts are now prepended with "zz ".  Right-clicking on the accounts and going to Edit/Delete Account shows the Financial Institution on both the General and Online Setup tabs to be "zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." in all cases.  Connection Method is Direct Connect.  Anyone else seeing this?  Does this need fixing?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen this Alert regarding Upcoming Changes to Schwab accounts?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7900567/upcoming-changes-to-charles-schwab-accounts#latest

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also note - with this temp change - that ZZ Charles Schwab now sorts to the BOTTOM of the One Step Update list - it is not missing or gone, just sorted to the bottom alphabetically vs up top ....
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Have you seen this Alert regarding Upcoming Changes to Schwab accounts?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7900567/upcoming-changes-to-charles-schwab-accounts#latest

Thanks.  I hadn't seen that alert.  I've bookmarked that thread to keep me informed.
  • jwheeler53
    jwheeler53 Member ✭✭
    This also happened to me but at first I didn't notice that it had moved to the bottom of the update list
    and I kept getting update failures as I was entering the passwords incorrectly. When I entered the
    passwords in the correct order, everything worked.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭
    Good morning.  The "zz" happened to me as well less than an hour ago.  I have bookmarked the thread to be kept informed.  I did not have to enter USER ID and/or Password.  Other than the "zz" the OSU worked as usual.
  • William
    William Member ✭✭✭
    Me too
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 1
    According to today's update to that thread, the changes for Charles Schwab have been delayed until 25 November.  My version of Quicken just updated this morning and the release notes say the update was for the change to connecting to various places.  Charles Schwab was specifically mentioned.  But, those accounts are still pre-pended with the "zz ".  I'm not getting any errors or anything like that, so I assume things are still working correctly.
  • groz
    groz Member
    I see it as well but things seem to be working. Did not see anything in release notes (other than aforementioned changes to Schwab).
  • DaveF
    DaveF Member ✭✭
    To expand on this thread. If you add a new Charles Schwab account to Quicken, you are not given the opportunity to specify a Connection Method of Direct Connect. It automatically adds Connection Method of Express Web Connect +. There's a Question mark to the right (blue background). If you click on it, it
    tells you the connection is Provided by Capital One. This does not make me happy! I don't recall being informed by Schwab that Capital One is now in the mix. Especially with respect to Schwabs third-party access preferences. I've spoken with multiple people at Schwab Tech Support and I've come to the conclusion they are in the dark about this. They just pass me over to Quicken Support.
    When you do a One Step Update, it adds another Charles Schwab connection, this time without the zz
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Cap One credit card - and when I set it up in Quicken awhile ago, it was then that the "EWC+" protocol was displayed.  I'm wondering if they created this "new" protocol, and clicking on the "?" merely is referring you to the protocol originator of Cap One -
  • ScottE
    ScottE Member
    Following closely...My Schwab acct had the zz added also but works normally.
  • ahswain
    ahswain Member ✭✭
    Following closely also. My Schwab Accounts have zz but no longer download.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ahswain said: Following closely also. My Schwab Accounts have zz but no longer download.
    Well - guess we need some more details....

• ahswain
    ahswain Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > Well - guess we need some more details....

I don't have much more detail than previously noted here. I applied most recent Quicken release, have zz pre-pended to Charles Schwab at bottom of One Step Update, but have zero transactions downloaded since. Quicken says I should wait for Charles Schwab to complete the change in a couple weeks. Just wanted to post for information since other posts say downloading was unaffected by the update.
  • mosesk
    mosesk Member
    this latest Schwab "authorization change" for Quicken accounts...lost ALL transaction history.
    Luckily I have backups.
    Something is VERY wrong!
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Mac today went through the new Charles Schwab authorization process to connect via the new security method for downloads.

Quicken Windows still shows the zzCharles Schwab and seems to use the old download process... not showing a web view Schwab login window to authorize the new connection method.  Does anyone know when Q Windows will migrate  (and why the Mac product already seems to have done so today)?

Quicken Windows and Mac subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Mac today went through the new Charles Schwab authorization process to connect via the new security method for downloads.

Quicken Windows still shows the zzCharles Schwab and seems to use the old download process... not showing a web view Schwab login window to authorize the new connection method.  Does anyone know when Q Windows will migrate  (and why the Mac product already seems to have done so today)?

Look at the announcement that was already posted in this thread:
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MontanaKarl
    edited November 6
    Chris_QPW said:

Look at the announcement that was already posted in this thread:
    Your response is meaningless to my question.  Of course I've been following that thread.  It said that the migration was on hold ... possibly until the 16th, but of course that's not what happened as I and other QMac users were migrated today.  My question...worded maybe more precisely is:  if the QMac and QWin software is up-to-date and the migration issue was on Schwab's end...why were Schwab accounts on QMac migrated today...yet nothing is happening in QWin for the exact same accounts?

If the thread that you reference is to be believed... then QMac should not have migrated to the new system today...either both QMac and QWin should have migrated or neither.   Identical Quicken ID and Schwab ID for both files, so it seems that QWin might need another update from what that thread is talking about.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Mac today went through the new Charles Schwab authorization process 
    So … what exactly changed or happened on your Quicken ? 
  • MontanaKarl
    edited November 7
    Ps56k2 said:
    So … what exactly changed or happened on your Quicken ? 
    When attempting to do a transaction download, I got a dialog telling me that the process for Schwab had changed and I had to log into my Schwab account in a pop-up web window to authorize access.

Schwab is now doing something similar to Apple with it's app-specific password.  The log in process granted a permission to Quicken to download my information - but not do do anything else.  Quicken will no longer have access to my real Schwab password, making that access more secure.  And, on the Security tab at Schwab, there is now a new panel for this Quicken-specific access that lets me revoke it.

I could restore my backup and go through the process again and capture screenshots, but that's the gist of it.   As I said, it is strange that QMac is now granted this new access permission and yet QWin does not initiate the process (yet).

P.S.  In QMac, the connection method for Charles Schwab is now shown as "Quicken Connect" - rather than Direct Connect or Web Connect.

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    Hello all,

I do have the old instance, "zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.", but there is now another instance available without the "zz" attached to it. Can I please have Windows users save a backup and disconnect from the "zz" instance? After that is done, you can use the new instance to reconnect, it will take you through the authorization process. 

Do let us know how this goes!

Quicken Alyssa
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.... on the Qwin FI list - here are the 2 entries - 11/6/21 -
    with the new one having ALL accounts supported,
    along with changing to a EWC type of implied connection from the DC -
    68824    68824    68824    Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.    https://www.schwab.com/    866-855-9102    https://www.schwab.com/    ACTIVE                  
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,INVESTMENT,401K&EXP-WEB-CONNECT 
    08888    08888    08888    zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.    https://www.schwab.com/    NA   
    https://www.schwab.com/    ACTIVE   
    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT                 

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the screen that pops up on Qwin - 11/6/21 - for the ADD ACCOUNT -

• MontanaKarl
    Ps56k2 said:
    Here is the screen that pops up on Qwin - 11/6/21 - for the ADD ACCOUNT -

yes, that’s what QMac had given me automatically

• Michael G
    Michael G Member
    Thanks Ps56k2. For me, (Windows user) that screen seems to be part of a loop of screens for which there is no escape or resolution. Eventually (after going in circles) have to cancel the ADD ACCOUNT process. No joy. Suspect the issue is on the Quicken side, but have no evidence one way or the other as to where the problem sits.
  • MontanaKarl
    Hello all,

I do have the old instance, "zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.", but there is now another instance available without the "zz" attached to it. Can I please have Windows users save a backup and disconnect from the "zz" instance? After that is done, you can use the new instance to reconnect, it will take you through the authorization process. 

Do let us know how this goes!

There is an error in the process which otherwise mostly works:

I disconnected from zz Charles Schwab and then connected and was offered only the new Charles Schwab with the authorization window displayed above by Ps56k.

After selecting the accounts to link, there was about a 30 second delay vs zero delay for QMac ... after which the two accounts downloaded transactions.  BUT - while QMac asked me to verify which accounts within Quicken the Schwab accounts were to be linked, and had offered to add my checking account rather than to link it...

BUG 1:  QWin did not present the dialog confirming which external accounts were to be linked vs added to matching Quicken accounts.  It ended up adding a duplicate of my Schwab bank account.

BUG 2:  The other bug/bad news is that for my brokerage, random transactions dated back to last May were downloaded.  Most of those say "Match" even though they are reconciled.  One 'new' transaction for a matured CD from July actually exists (and was reconciled) - and if I were to accept it, my balance would be way off, so I deleted that.

Accepting the ancient downloaded transactions flagged as "Match" resulted in those transactions now showing as "cleared" rather than "reconciled", which will mess up the next reconcilation.

Odd that the existing 'last date of download' wasn't used so that only new transactions since yesterday were downloaded.

BUG-ISH: I deleted the extra copy of my Schwab bank account that was created above, and then tried to set up the existing checking account.  It defaulted to the old web connect method, asking my for my Schwab ID and password...because the financial institution listed Charles Schwab Investor Checking.  I cleared that box, then did a setup and selected Charles Schwab, and THIS time I was presented with the dialog to add or link my account - which was defaulting to add.   But...

BUG 3:  My Schwab bank account was listed as type "Brokerage" - with the drop-down only offering Brokerage, IRA or 529 Plan.  Checking was not in the drop-down.  I went ahead and clicked 'next' to link the account even though the dialog is calling it a Brokerage account...and now it SAYS it is downloading all transactions for the last 1,790 days (!!!) instead of those since yesterday.  But, in fact, no new downloads happened.  

BOTH accounts now show up as connection method "Express Web Connect+" (plus at the end) ... rather than Quicken Connect, as they show in QMac.

FYI:  I went to Tools > Password Vault > Add or Edit Passwords while it shows 'yes' for password stored for other financial institutions, for Charles Schwab & Co Inc is shows "Not required" with a gold key.

Assuming my manual clean-up listed in the bugs above is good enough, I'll try running like this for a while.

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    @Michael G,

If you tried what I suggested above, and that resulted in the authorization loop you are referring to, and you being unable to update accounts you could update previous to my suggestion, restore the backup you saved prior to doing the steps. Also, can I have you try adding your Schwab account(s) into a new file (test file) and tell me if you still get an authorization loop there as well? 

Thank you. 

Quicken Alyssa
  • MontanaKarl
    @Quicken Alyssa

I just repeated the process in another data file - and for one Schwab login, I was presented with the link/add dialog to match up accounts.

For another Schwab login that has brokerage and checking accounts, the account add/link dialog once again did NOT appear.  So, I had 3 new/duplicate accounts created that I now have to delete and re-link manually.

OK... so the plot thickens with a hint of part of this add/link/ignore issue.   There used to be (well still is) a Schwab Bank web connect and a Charles Schwab web connect... bank accounts were linked separately from brokerage.

Now, the one Charles Schwab authorization provides access to all.  However, if I set up a brokerage FIRST, then I don't get the add/link/ignore dialog and all bank accounts get added as fresh accounts.

Setting up a bank account now (after deleting the 3 incorrectly created duplicates) - I get the Add Account dialog after leaving the Schwab authorization and can change all of the "add" actions to "link" actions for the bank accounts.  The brokerage accounts are listed on that same screen ... but with no drop-downs - rather showing as the action "Don't add to Quicken".

Seems like this isn't quite ready for broad adoption other than those of us willing to sort through all of this. :-)

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R36.45  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19044.1348
                       Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit Build 22000.318
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19044.1348

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1