Alignment of pre-printed checks

Why is it thatthe right printer offset settings changes between printing one, two or three checks.  Even within a single check, it is not always possible to get the date, payee, and amount all properly aligned at the same time. 

I am so frustrated by this issue that I am ready to look for an alternate supplier when my current batch of checks runs out. 

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    Who did you buy these checks from?  And are they certified as being "Quicken/Quickbooks compatible"?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

If you can't resolve the alignment or paper feed issues, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11 sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.

See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11 sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    Who did you buy these checks from?  And are they certified as being "Quicken/Quickbooks compatible"?

I bought them from the Quicken website.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:

If you can't resolve the alignment or paper feed issues, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11 sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.

See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11 sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.

I use wallet checks.

I do use the Quicken check alignment process separately for 3, 2, and 1 check feeds.  The base issue seems to be poor line to line alignment controls within a check and between checks.

And, yes, I have always, always (since the early '90s DOS days) bought all my checks from Quicken.
  • I am having trouble with check alignment now. I have been using wallet checks, 3 to a 8.5" x 11.0" page, for many years. I can no longer get this check so have now ordered from Intuit 3 to a 8.5" x 11.0" page, checks that are set up differently. I have no idea how to adjust the printing alignment to fit the blank check. Help.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not exactly a Quicken expert, but it's easy to set up check alignment.  Do File > Printer Setup  for Checks.  Then click on the Alignment box.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having trouble with check alignment now. I have been using wallet checks, 3 to a 8.5" x 11.0" page, for many years. I can no longer get this check so have now ordered from Intuit 3 to a 8.5" x 11.0" page, checks that are set up differently. I have no idea how to adjust the printing alignment to fit the blank check. Help.
    Actually, @Phil Burton 's answer is on the right path ... the solution is that you need to select a different check style:
    "Wallet checks" was your old check style.
    Since ca. 2006 a slightly modified Wallet check style was made available, "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)". You need to select this style to make your new order of checks align properly.