Schwab - This got me past the 501 error

Joseph Witkin
Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭✭
I was able to end the 501 "unable to connect to servers" error when trying to access the Schwab login page within Quicken (Windows 11) by uninstalling Quicken in Apps and Features, manually removing the hidden Quicken folders in User/AppData Roaming, User/AppData Local, Program Data, and (not hidden) Programs x86, then reinstalling.

I downloaded my subscription Quicken install file from Quicken .com, restored from backup, and installed the Mondo patch before attempting anything. 

I was then able to edit my Schwab accounts to set up online backup - I had deactivated the zzz-Schwab previously. This time, it matched all my accounts to my existing accounts in Quicken without asking (! - online backup had been deactivated, but Charles Schwab and Co., Inc and account numbers were present as the institution in the account tabs from previous attempts).

It still downloaded quite a few transactions (close to 300), particularly to my brokerage account, and my securities balances and cash balances were way off. I found a system. I accepted all the "new" transactions, which marked them with C for cleared. I noted which securities were off and by how much, then looked at all transactions in the register for that security only, scanning for a reconciled and cleared transaction with the same date and share amount - and deleted the cleared ones until holdings in Quicken matched holdings on Schwab website. I was able to get all the securities to match, and the cash balance was then very close, though still off. I reconciled, adjusting the cash balance. Got them all correct.

I also added my wife's profile with different credentials. It seemed to work and downloaded some (not many!) transactions there as well. Corrected balances the same way. Now one step update seems to work, and appears to be checking both Schwab profiles, though new transactions will be the test.

Interestingly - Quicken programmers take note - each time I added the online backup to a Schwab profile, the direct connect for my Wells Fargo brokerage was broken - "you are downloading transactions for an account not in Quicken". Deactivating and reactivating fixed it. Weird.

Way more work than we should have to go through. And there are still a lot of weird entries in the registers MiscExp etc. But if it continues to connect tomorrow without errors, I will be happier than I have been these past few weeks!

Comments

  • Rsta
    Rsta Member ✭✭✭
    I was able to end the 501 "unable to connect to servers" error when trying to access the Schwab login page within Quicken (Windows 11) by uninstalling Quicken in Apps and Features, manually removing the hidden Quicken folders in User/AppData Roaming, User/AppData Local, Program Data, and (not hidden) Programs x86, then reinstalling.

    I downloaded my subscription Quicken install file from Quicken .com, restored from backup, and installed the Mondo patch before attempting anything. 

    I was then able to edit my Schwab accounts to set up online backup - I had deactivated the zzz-Schwab previously. This time, it matched all my accounts to my existing accounts in Quicken without asking (! - online backup had been deactivated, but Charles Schwab and Co., Inc and account numbers were present as the institution in the account tabs from previous attempts).

    It still downloaded quite a few transactions (close to 300), particularly to my brokerage account, and my securities balances and cash balances were way off. I found a system. I accepted all the "new" transactions, which marked them with C for cleared. I noted which securities were off and by how much, then looked at all transactions in the register for that security only, scanning for a reconciled and cleared transaction with the same date and share amount - and deleted the cleared ones until holdings in Quicken matched holdings on Schwab website. I was able to get all the securities to match, and the cash balance was then very close, though still off. I reconciled, adjusting the cash balance. Got them all correct.

    I also added my wife's profile with different credentials. It seemed to work and downloaded some (not many!) transactions there as well. Corrected balances the same way. Now one step update seems to work, and appears to be checking both Schwab profiles, though new transactions will be the test.

    Interestingly - Quicken programmers take note - each time I added the online backup to a Schwab profile, the direct connect for my Wells Fargo brokerage was broken - "you are downloading transactions for an account not in Quicken". Deactivating and reactivating fixed it. Weird.

    Way more work than we should have to go through. And there are still a lot of weird entries in the registers MiscExp etc. But if it continues to connect tomorrow without errors, I will be happier than I have been these past few weeks!
    I went through the register and deleted many transactions the same way. Since you can only delete one at a time and this is the slowest program anyone ever paid money for, it took me 3+ hours
This discussion has been closed.