Schwab Transaction Download Errors

DF Smith
DF Smith Member
Began having errors after Schwab revised their security protocol around 11-15-21. Spent an hour with a Schwab tech and then spent an hour with a Quicken tech yesterday, Shared my screen with both techs. Still, none of my four Schwab accounts are downloading correctly. Been a Quicken user since 1995. This has always been a pain, but trying to download from Schwab results in transactions going back to 2019, about 215 transactions that must be deleted one at a time. There is no option to hold the shift key and delete multiple transactions. There is also no option to request transactions only occurring since 11-15-21, which is seems Quicken should be able to do. You can export from Schwab, but not in Quicken format. Really a pain. I suppose I will have to stop updating all of my accounts automatically and just do manual downloads for each account.

Comments

• Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    I'm using the latest release (36.23), but transactions are not downloading. First time this occurred I deactivated & reactivated my 5 Schwab accounts - that downloaded transactions once. Tried again today and get an Update Complete message, but no transactions downloaded; Reset Account did not help.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Chuckster,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first (just in case). Then, please follow the instructions provided below.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Thanks Anja, but no luck. First one step update window (One Step Update Settings) lists 10 organizations to download from, but when complete the Update Summary lists only 3. I can update Schwab individually - it gets a Complete message but no data retrieved.

Something else to note. I'm able to deactivate 3 of the 5 Schwab accounts; when deactivating the other 2 you see both pop up windows (Would you like to deactivate..., you are about to delete setup information...), but they remain activated.
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Hi, I followed these instructions and was able to download transactions from the Schwab accounts. Needed to do online setup twice, once for Investment Accounts using "Charles Schwab & Co, Inc" and a 2nd time for checking using "Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C". The latter brought down investment accounts a 2nd time, but all with zero balances and a single Opening Cash Balance transaction.
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    A little more info, if I do online updates for individual accounts:
    Sams Club Credit retrieves current balance but no transactions
    Synchrony Bank says "We cannot find an account with a non-zero balance..." (there are two)
    Barclay Bank works as expected for individual update, but retrieves nothing in group update
  • martyw47
    martyw47 Member
    What is the status of this? I'm getting the same problem. I've tried all of the suggestions above, nothing works. Still get the message "Feature temporarily unavailable". I’m selecting Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.

If I select “Charles Schwab Bank – Investor C”, I can login & create an account in Q in the test data file, but it has no transactions. I have a brokerage account, not a banking account.
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Never got a response. I used the "Create a Copy or Template" option to create a file copy without online connections, then re-established connections using "Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C" for the checking account and "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc' for brokerage accounts. That resolved the issue. A few days later a Quicken upgrade came out which renamed the the brokerage account link "zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc" but didn't seem to break anything.

Hope that helps.
  • manookian
    manookian Member
    edited November 2021
    [Removed - Off Topic/Rant]

What is with the renaming of the accounts, i.e. zz - Schwab... or zzz - Schwab, please explain?
  • the downloading for Schwab still is broken.
  • twmartinv
    twmartinv Member ✭✭
    A few weeks back, the Quicken (Windows) program informed me that Schwab was updating their security and changed my financial institution from Schwab to zzSchwab. Everything worked fine then. Last Thursday during a Quicken one-step update, the Quicken program asked me to re-authorize access to my Schwab accounts, something I'd never had to do before. I followed the instructions, but since then my Schwab accounts have not updated. I notice the financial institution is back to Schwab (without the zz). Now when I do a one-step update, Schwab appears with all my other accounts during the update, but when the update completes, Schwab is not listed as an updated account. (I actually have several Schwab investment accounts, but Schwab only occurs in the list of one-step update accounts.) I did your log out/log back in fix, but no change. Help.
  • twmartinv
    twmartinv Member ✭✭
    A few weeks back, the Quicken (Windows) program informed me that Schwab was updating their security and changed my financial institution from Schwab to zzSchwab. Everything worked fine then. Last Thursday during a Quicken one-step update, the Quicken program asked me to re-authorize access to my Schwab accounts, something I'd never had to do before. I followed the instructions, but since then my Schwab accounts have not updated. I notice the financial institution is back to Schwab (without the zz). Now when I do a one-step update, Schwab appears with all my other accounts during the update, but when the update completes, Schwab is not listed as an updated account. (I actually have several Schwab investment accounts, but Schwab only occurs in the list of one-step update accounts.) I did your log out/log back in fix, but no change. Help.
  • martyw47
    martyw47 Member
    Did you try zz Schwab again? I'm going to try that if I don't hear from Q.
  • ITVGuy2000
    ITVGuy2000 Member ✭✭✭
    Still broken.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    Still broken.
  • Glen1959
    Glen1959 Member
    I am having same problem, but interestingly one of my 2 Schwab accounts is downloading fine. I was finally able to deactivate the one account that was not updating but now I can not reactivate it. tried to insert picture here, dont know if it will upload. I have reported to quicken twice but no answer from Quicken
  • av8r6
    av8r6 Member ✭✭
    Downloaded R36.45 this morning. CC-501 error when trying to Re-Authorize Schwab.....
  • jimaikins
    jimaikins Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue - finally able to de-activate Direct Connect but unable to get past Schwab log-in
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭✭
    I am not sure all is working. The Schwab accounts are downloading matches and some are listed as new even though they were downloaded from Schwab by Quicken before. Is taking a lot of time to figure out all. Also had to deactivate many other accounts (other than Schwab) and reactivate to get them to download. Although there was no good time for Quicken to make the switch given the problems we customers are having, I understand they were alerted by Schwab awhile back for this need. But Thanksgiving week??? Seems I remember awhile back on Christmas eve when they required an added password and that also was very time consuming. Please do not wait for the last minute or just before a holiday to do this unless it has been well tested. Clearly given all the folks commenting it was a widespread problem. Best wishes for the holidays and I hope all who are having problems have them resolved now. Fingers crossed.
  • twmartinv
    twmartinv Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I hope Quicken/Schwab do not think this problem is solved. Behavior has changed, but problems persist.

1. Last night, Schwab transactions started downloading again. Unfortunately, I got literally hundreds of old transactions that had already been recorded/cleared/reconciled. Some matched. Others did not. I simply deleted them all.

2. This morning, I was alerted by Quicken to a new update that addressed the Schwab issue. I installed it. The behavior is not the same as when things worked before. There are several securities that only Schwab can quote (municipal bonds and some equities). Before, their quotes would update, and my Quicken Schwab account balances would match my Schwab online account balances. Now, those security quotes are not updating. I can't tell at a glance if my Quicken Schwab accounts and Schwab online accounts agree.

What is frustrating about this is that this whole endeavor was positioned as a change for improved security. Fine. Improved security sounds great. But why should any behavior not involved with security change? All past behavior should move forward intact (no change) surrounded by improved security.

[Removed-Disruptive]

- Tom
  • grundoon
    grundoon Member
    Running 36.45 here – I suppose it won't be until next week (those whopping pennies of cash sweep interest) if I can tell whether any transactions at all are downloading, but for sure option contract quotes aren't updating.
  • dnfinance
    dnfinance Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    [Removed - Rant]
  • Quicken, the Schwab download doesn't work now. I'm running the latest version of Q4W on a subscription. Attempts to re-authorize the Schwab accounts result in hard freezes, requiring killing the app in Task Manager. I'm not going to do all the "fixes" you suggest. There are many posts here that have tried these, resulting in time wasted, frustration and data corruption. You and Schwab figure this out. And, apologize to your loyal users, some of which have been using your vaunted software for over 30 years. (since the DOS versions)
  • maeagle
    maeagle Member ✭✭
    I keep getting random downloads of transactions.
    Cds and options are not updating (5-14 days since last update of quotes. Stocks update fine.
    LPOA are no longer valid for download. Also keep being told CD count do not match (eg $4 cds vs $4000 cds) between Schwab and Quicken. Worst transition I have had ever seen on any piece of software. I have too been a loyal user of Schwab and Quicken for over 20 years.
  • boris52
    boris52 Member ✭✭
    Quicken support escalated this problem up the ladder. As of 11/25 it is not resolved, they are working on it.
  • martyw47
    martyw47 Member
    edited November 2021
    Still broken. Downloaded R36.45. Got the same error. Used Schwabsafe. After the login screen, I did not get the "Confirm your identity screen".
    Now get:"We are unable to authorize you access. Try again later". I'm able to login to Schwab direct OK.
    [Removed-Disruptive]
  • jricci
    jricci Member
    I've updated my Charles Schwab accounts to work with the new changes, and all the transactions for my accounts are coming down; however, none of the balances for the checking and accounts are coming down. The accounts all show a "Schwab Checking 0.00 Online Balance as of 0 2000".
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I've got the same problem as the OP.  Between my wife and I, we've got 3 Schwab investment accounts:  regular joint, my Roth IRA and her Roth IRA.  All 3 accounts show as being downloaded during One Step Update.  But, the Summary page afterward mentions only the joint account and my Roth account (which were on one of the two financial institution lines at the start of OSU).  My wife's Roth (or, more specifically, her Roth's financial institution) is simply not mentioned on that summary.

PS:  I wish the moderators here would stop merging and then locking these threads.  Merging is fine.  Locking is not.
  • Phil Derkum
    Phil Derkum Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    : Quite frustrated and unhappy. My Schwab account data is stuck on October 28.; Have tried EVERYTHING with no success.
  • Doug Rousso
    Doug Rousso Member ✭✭✭
    Same boat. They’re claiming this is resolved with their patch.  It sure isn’t.  
This discussion has been closed.