Mark a set of transactions as Paid

I created a Scheduled transaction that started a year ago and occurs once a month. As I had hoped, it created 11 transactions for each month. Under Status is a watch with a red exclamation point. When I to go "Reconcile", it says that the transaction hasn't been "Posted". Hmm... "Posted" is not a term I've seen in Quicken and a very quick search didn't turn up much.

I discovered that if I hit return there is a think "Mark as Paid" and I do that and the status changes to just a cleared field. Great! Today I just have 11 of these to do so I can do it by hand but the question is if there is a way I can "Mark as Paid" a set of transactions?

Also, is there any thing more on Quicken's concept of Posted. I know generally what the term means but what does it mean to Quicken? Any reading material that you can point me to would be great.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Posted = click Paid/Deposited; they're the same thing.

Think of scheduled transactions as a template for future real transactions; then you post them -- e.g. click on Paid or Deposited -- which uses the template to create the actual transaction on the appointed date. Note that you can post transactions in the future if you wish (such as if you know your January payment of a bill will include a different charge).

Posting in Quicken Mac doesn't mean what it would mean in most full-scale accounting programs, where transactions cannot be changed once posted, requiring adjusting or reversing entries to fix mistakes. In Quicken Mac, posting is simply converting the "template" of a scheduled transaction into a real transaction. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Accepted Answer
    Posted = click Paid/Deposited; they're the same thing.

Think of scheduled transactions as a template for future real transactions; then you post them -- e.g. click on Paid or Deposited -- which uses the template to create the actual transaction on the appointed date. Note that you can post transactions in the future if you wish (such as if you know your January payment of a bill will include a different charge).

Posting in Quicken Mac doesn't mean what it would mean in most full-scale accounting programs, where transactions cannot be changed once posted, requiring adjusting or reversing entries to fix mistakes. In Quicken Mac, posting is simply converting the "template" of a scheduled transaction into a real transaction. 
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to mark a set of transactions as Paid?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2021
    I don't believe so (See RickO's post below this).

In that it takes about a second apiece to click Paid or Deposited, unless you have an overwhelming number of transactions to post, it will take you less time than posting a reply here to get all your scheduled transactions caught up. ;)
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    Actually very easy. With one or more transactions select, click menu Transactions > Mark as Paid or Deposited.

To select multiple transactions, use the standard Mac shift-click (for a sequential set) or command-click (for a non-sequential set).

And one more thing: when you set up the scheduled transaction sequence, you will see an option to have the automatically entered (which means marked as paid), so you'll never have to do it manually:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

I started Quicken on the Mac in 92. I believe the best Quicken was the 1994 time frame before Intuit destroyed it.
This discussion has been closed.